Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do your eyeglasses look like the front of a Summar?
You can tell I shoot with RFs because my eyeglasses have more scratches than a BGN-grade Summar 133 43.61%
Because I need to wear my eyeglasses, my enjoyment of RF photography is reduced 900 percent 55 18.03%
I realize how lucky I am not to have to wear eyeglasses 19 6.23%
I don't feel sorry for eyeglass wearers because that just means there's more RF gear for me 6 1.97%
I have no problems shooting RFs with my eyeglasses 116 38.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2010   #41
Ronald M

If I had to vote, it would be 2 & 4. I tried all the old half way "solutions" in the past. None were perfect

Now that I age, my eyes are getting better instead of worse and I just take my glasses off. They are pretty close to normal for 3 feet which is what is needed for my Leica RF.

This is the only benefit I see to getting older, so don`t push it.

Old 12-24-2010   #42
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post

In either case it is pointless to post a snide poll with only a few biased choices.
For some folks this is a non-issue. For others, the difficulties are really and something we have to live with. I started using rangefinders in 2005. Even over this short time, I'm aware that my eyesight is getting worse, and that rangefinder focusing (even with my excellent Leica M) is becoming more difficult.

But I think the original poster was venting a little frustration in what was intended to be light-hearted poll that invited others to share their frustrations.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 12-24-2010   #43
Richard G

I went RF as a teenager because of my glasses. Maybe I was misinformed. Difficult to see all of the 35 frame lines, but 35 FOV is OK especially in the M6. I now have a DAG rubber shield for the M2 and the M5, but before that I was only scratching the right lens and I am very left dominant. I switched to right eye shooting in the mid-90s after I bought a 35 and needed to get my eye closer to the VF. The thing about RF and poor eyesight is the positive focus by coincidence of the images. I can see all of the VF in an F3 and OM2n, but focussing is harder for me.

Old 12-24-2010   #44
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
For some folks this is a non-issue. For others, the difficulties are really and something we have to live with. I started using rangefinders in 2005. Even over this short time, I'm aware that my eyesight is getting worse, and that rangefinder focusing (even with my excellent Leica M) is becoming more difficult.
That is no different for me - I am far-sighted and approaching fifty. But my dependency on glasses does not affect rangefinders any more than SLRs, both in the focusing and in the glasses-scratching domain - apart from rangefinders more often being old or even ancient.

Old 12-24-2010   #45
katcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotec View Post
the scratches on my glasses are from so many things - i hardly think cameras are a big contributor. that said, i may be selling my IIIf soon, just because it's a huge PITA to use with glasses.
I have thought of selling my IIIf, too, now that it is now replaced by the Bessa R4M. I primarily bought the latter for its much bigger VF, and built-in framelines.

However, I can't let the IIIf go, I've gone quite attached to it.

Flickr! | Multiply | RangeFinderFilipinas

Old 12-24-2010   #46
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I have worn glasses for the last 46 years or so and find that I can focus tolerably well with any of the cameras I've used, regardless of type.
The FED 2 was otherwise a camera I liked but the VF was very hard for me to use. I could see the focus spot OK but was never sure where the edges of the frame were. The Kiev 4a I had was much easier to use, for me, even though I think the VF was physically smaller.
The Canon P is another really nice camera that I wanted to like but I just did not like the VF. And I also have used a Bolsey B2 which has a tiny VF but seemed to work fairly well for me.
And I am now mainly using the Bessa R and R2a and those are worlds ahead of any other RF cameras I have used. And they don't scratch my glasses.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 12-24-2010   #47
Jamie123

Where's the "I have bad eyesight but don't wear glasses" option? My eyesight has gotten a bit worse in the past few years but I haven't gotten around to buying glasses yet. It doesn't bother me much with cameras, though, as a -1 diopter usually does the job and even without it I can manage to focus accurately.

Old 12-24-2010   #48
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
A poll for eyeglass wearers with a box to tick for non eyeglass wearers ... I'm confused!

Contacts are a godsend but unfortunately not everyone can wear them. I'm -06.5 in both eyes so my specs are the proverbial coke bottle bottoms ... I seldom wear them.
Yes I think it is a poorly constructed poll with response options that are not all relevant. I might suggest something more like:

1. I wear my glasses when I shoot my rangefinders, even though I can't see exactly where the frame edges are.

2. I war my glasses, but I take them off when lining up the final composition, so I can see out to the frame edges.

3. I wear glasses, but in my case they really don't interfere with seeing and shooting.

4. I wear glasses most of the time, but I prefer my contacts for shooting with a rangefinder.

Or maybe something like:

1. My rangefinder(s) scratch my glasses, and I wish they didn't.

2. My rangefinders scratch my glasses, but that's OK, it reminds me that it's time to get a new checkup and new prescription if need.

3. My RF's no longer scratch my glasses, I got DAG's no-scrath thingy.

4. My RF's used to scratch my glasses, but I got the idea to put a little liquid electrical tape on the eyepiece, and now they don't scratch.

I think it's important for each response option to be a logical alternative to the others, rather than going off in a different and irrelevant direction.

Old 12-24-2010   #49
bobkonos

I wear eyeglasse and have no problem with scratched lenses or other interference. I am saddened that I need my reading glasses to read my VC II meter!

Old 12-25-2010   #50
literiter

My M2, M4-P, F2, F3HP, and Hassy 501CM have all been fitted with corrective diopters. My eyeglasses have a neck cord. It works very well.

I must have a brow like an ape's as I cannot use even my F3HP with my glasses comfortably.

Old 01-01-2011   #52
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I'll bet there's a VERY STRONG correlation between RFF members that prefer 50mm lenses, and RFF members that wear glasses. :-)

Old 01-01-2011   #53
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Yeah... tough to let the Barnack's go. They're more than a camera... they're a fashion statement and just keeps on going! ;-)

Old 01-01-2011   #54
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

In designing the poll I wanted to make sure everyone felt included. Its just a California thing. :-)

Old 01-01-2011   #55
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I've learned to use my nose bumper. :-) But that definitely puts the 35 framelines WAY out of use. :-(

Old 01-01-2011   #56
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Funny about the F3HP! :-)

Is it very costly to have diopter eyepieces made?

Old 01-01-2011   #57
literiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Funny about the F3HP! :-)

Is it very costly to have diopter eyepieces made?
I suppose you could have one made, I wouldn't bother though, I bought mine on Ebay for my $20.00 and this guy has one for sale at http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-F3hp-N90-s-...item2eaefc7a90

Old 01-01-2011   #58
sykotec

exactly - they're cheap and simple, but far from cheap and simple!
I suppose it's time I learn to fix M-mount stuff, alas starting with my CL that recently took a fall from a very tall vehicle to as filthy asphalt parking lot. i've spent long enough with the 2-window IIIf that I need to remember to FOCUS in addition to composing in that luxuriously big finder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Yeah... tough to let the Barnack's go. They're more than a camera... they're a fashion statement and just keeps on going! ;-)

Old 01-01-2011   #59
bobbyrab

Just a quick tip for anyone who shares my visual impairment, I'm shortsighted with a fairly mild perscription, but usually have to remove my glasses for looking close too, reading for example, or checking my settings or LCD on a camera. This becomes a problem if I wear contact lenses as I have to hold my camera at arms length to properly see what's going on, less of a problem with film than with digital I suppose but still not ideal. However I've recently taken to wearing just the one lens in my dominant right eye when I'm working, it's been a revelation, so much easier than constantly cleaning my glasses of smudge marks, I can now see perfectly through the viewfinder (.58 on my M6), but can easily read and see anything close too, you get used to it quite quickly. I might add I don't do this everyday, just when I'm working, but give it a try.

Old 01-05-2011   #60
mtargz

Where's the Low-Mag Finder option? Got a Hexar RF, and haven't had a problem seeing 35mm frame-lines - even without the glasses touching the viewfinder. 28mm lines are hard enough to see without glasses - my eyelashes touch the viewfinder, which is quite disconcerting - and I don't have a 28mm lens anyway: My RF experience, therefore, isn't tarnished that much. SLRs, on the other hand, are troublesome.

Old 01-19-2011   #61
shashinka-ichiban
写真家 一番

Try this on for size. Not only an eye glass wearer, but A left eye shooter to boot. My right eye is uncorrectable and is nearly blind. Great for all those new LCD and d-pad controls they place on the new fangled digital cameras.

Old 01-19-2011   #62
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Thanks. And it turns out that these Nikon diopters often fit the Voigtlander Bessa R bodies, since Cosina made many of the smaller Nikon manual focus bodies as well.

Old 01-19-2011   #63
bean_counter

I use the DAG plastic cover thingie on my M4-P; works great. I can kind of mash my eyeball up to my glasses and get most of the 35 lines.

I use IIIf's too, usually scale focus w/ an SBOOI. Have to watch the SBOOI, I hold it out a little, it can really scratch.

Old 11-01-2015   #64
rumbliegeos

Acquiring scratches on glasses from camera viewfinders is the main reason I have asked for glass lenses for years, against a lot of predictable resistance from the optometrist, and paying more for them. I can't stand spending every day looking through scratched lenses.

And I do find that glasses complicate seeing wide-angle brightlines and the edges of viewfinders. When I wear contacts, then I run into the problem of middle age far-sightedness and not being able to see camera settings without reading glasses. You just have to put up with this stuff if there is not a simple/affordable workaround.

Old 11-01-2015   #65
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

Unfortunately I wear glasses, fortunately I shoot wide angle, 28 to 35 with a 15 in the mail so that the frame lines are pretty visible to me. None of the options really filled the bill for me, my glasses are scratch resistant and I enjoy my RFs 100%.

Old 11-01-2015   #66
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

I'm old you know. I made a comment about the frame lines being visible for the wide lenses and that's just not the case.... I was thinking the long lenses I guess and got confused. Just took some shots in the back yard with the 28 and find I just don't worry about frame lines that much.

Old 11-01-2015   #67
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Before I finally gave up on rangefinder cameras, I was almost always resorting to using accessory Voigtlander viewfinders. They didn't scratch my glasses nearly as badly and the room around the frame lines seemed bigger. The only rangefinder camera that I found comfortable to use, viewfinder-wise, was the Zeiss Ikon. It has a beautiful huge viewfinder in which I was able to see even the 28mm frame lines.

Old 11-01-2015   #68
barnwulf

I wear eye glasses but I am fortunate that my eyes aren't that bad. I am far sighted and my main problem when I am out shooting without glasses is seeing the camera and lens settings but I can manage. I can shoot both ways and my glasses are very scratched partly from the camera viewfinders and from taking my glasses off and just tossing them into the seat of my car. - jim

Old 11-01-2015   #69
hepcat
Former PH, USN

I've worn eyeglasses since I was a kid. Not only do I wear glasses, I've had progressives for twenty years now... and I have no issues seeing through my VF, nor do I have scratched lenses...

Find me on the web...

Old 11-01-2015   #70
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

Dioptrics = glasses optional. I'm a -2.5/-3. The workaround involves sticking glasses on head, in chest pocket, whatever does not break them (which I have done recently, sitting on them after taking a number of images with the M5 oops) while I work.

Requiring everything outside the frame to also be perfectly in focus is over-rated. Indeed, I prefer it to lose focus. Not dissimilar to the times when I was a drinker and smoker and FT poet, and wanted to do my writing in bars among drinking smoking strangers but not be distracted by them. I just took my glasses off. Of course after a while I glazed over, but that's a cautionary story for a different audience.

With the cameras I use that lack diopters, I can afford to be kind to my glasses because I get to do without them on the gear I use most. A different sort of self indulgence, I suppose. In any case, these are very minor inconveniences for me.

Robert Hill Long Tumblr

Old 11-01-2015   #71
johank

I wear glasses but can't answer one single question in the poll because there isn't one called 'Can't think what all the fuss is about'. So I assumed the skewed nature of the questions towards there being only problems with wearing eyeglasses and using rangefinders is irony, but they didn't seen funny enough, so I'm not sure if I'm just reading a thread started by a pillock.
No I don't sleep with them on.

Johan

Old 11-01-2015   #72
PrestonR

I'm a glasses wearer, and I find that I'm not a big fan of rangefinders. (I love my TLR though.) I have an argus c3, a canonet, and an agfa isolette with a solinar lens, and I can't seem to make myself enjoy using them. I want to like them but I've never come across a RF I enjoyed.

Old 11-01-2015   #73
seajak

Ever since i bought my M6 in 1985 my usual lens was a 35 'cron. As my eyesight deteriorated I started using diopters so I could see the 35mm framelines. However, my close focus got so bad that I couldn't see the aperture settings without putting my glasses back on which was a pain in the derriere. Now I shoot with a CV 50/2.5 so I can see the framelines with my glasses on. The plus side is I'm really enjoying the 50mm FOV .

cheers,
clay

Old 11-01-2015   #74
pschauss

I have worn glasses for nearsightedness since I was in my late teens. At about the same time that I got glasses I also got my first 35 mm camera, an Aires 35-IIIL rangefinder. I do not shoot much with wide angle lenses field of vision through the viewfinder is not a serious issue. When started using rangefinder cameras again a few years back I did have problems with scratched lenses but I learned to use electrical tape on the eye pieces to protect my glasses. The gummed reenforcements that they sell at stationary stores to keep punched holes in paper from pulling out also work well if you can get them to stick. I am currently experimenting with liquid electrical tape.

Old 11-01-2015   #75
hendriphile

Shortly after my uncle gifted me with his 20 year-old M3, I took it to have it serviced at Marty Forscher's downtown in Manhattan. As he gave the camera back to me (after calling his apprentices around to show them the original black Leica seal), he asked me, "You've been scratching your eyeglasses on the viewfinder, haven't you?"
"Yes," I said. "Well, you won't be scratching them any more," and he showed me a black rubber ring he'd attached to the metal viewfinder to protect my glasses. It's still there after 35 years. No trouble seeing the frame-lines either, I'm happy to say.

Interesting -- I just noticed that this thread was dormant for nearly 5 years and was just resurrected!

Old 11-01-2015   #76
Brian Atherton

For years I’ve worn spectacles with plastic, hard-coated tri-focal lenses made by Pentax, Zeiss and Nikon correcting for near, middle and far distance vision.

Never had a problem with scratches from using rangefinders or SLRs… or binoculars.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 11-01-2015   #77
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

I wear eyeglasses, and don't have very many serious issues.

With the Canon P - I cannot see the outside frame. But that's easy enough to compensate for. It's vf design isn't particularly hard on glasses.

With my M4-P - I put an adhesive ring of rubber on the eyepiece, to help protect from scratches. No serious issues.

Older fixed lens rangefinders are kind of a crapshoot, but honestly - nothing really worth mentioning stands out.

All in all, of the options provided - I had to mark "I have no problems shooting RFs with my eyeglasses" - It's not truly "no problems" but they are minor, and this is a closer fit than the other responses.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 11-01-2015   #78
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

Contacts have been the answer for me. I thought at first that I would want the ones that allow you to see up close for the focus patch with one eye and far with the other. Turns out that because the focus patch is a mirror, that I needed the long distance in both eyes. Works perfectly except for chimping. You film guys don't have that problem to worry about.

Old 11-01-2015   #79
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriphile View Post
Shortly after my uncle gifted me with his 20 year-old M3, I took it to have it serviced at Marty Forscher's downtown in Manhattan. As he gave the camera back to me (after calling his apprentices around to show them the original black Leica seal), he asked me, "You've been scratching your eyeglasses on the viewfinder, haven't you?"
"Yes," I said. "Well, you won't be scratching them any more," and he showed me a black rubber ring he'd attached to the metal viewfinder to protect my glasses. It's still there after 35 years. No trouble seeing the frame-lines either, I'm happy to say.

Interesting -- I just noticed that this thread was dormant for nearly 5 years and was just resurrected!
My bad, I stumbled across this post from outer links while searching something about Kiev-4a's eye relief, and voted, then it's up and somebody started to reply...

I made some homemade rubber ring for my Zorki-1's viewfinder to protect my glasses but it didn't stay longer than one afternoon. Guess it needed better glue.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 11-01-2015   #80
Contarama

I was telling my wife about a month ago that I am going blind. Then I looked at the lenses in my glasses a little more closely and realized they were so scratched up that it was making everything I see soft. LOL