50mm Summicron or new 50mm Summarit?
Old 02-16-2010   #1
orenrcohen

50mm Summicron or new 50mm Summarit?

Have been thinking about a walkaround 50mm as I already have a fast though bulky CV Nokton 1.1... The Nokton is just a bit too heavy for daily street use.. Recently held a new Leica 50mm Summarit 2.5 and was very impressed with its small size/light weight/general pocketability.. Still maybe I should just go with a somewhat larger though somewhat faster Summicron.. any thoughts? anyone have experience with both these lenses??

Old 02-16-2010   #2
le vrai rdu

half a stop is not a lot

Old 02-16-2010   #3
kzphoto

You can buy a used 50 Summicron for cheap if you look around. v3/v4 run about 450 - 650 depending on cosmetics. That's way cheaper than a Summarit. Also, they've got the same optics as the modern versions, so you know you're getting a real performer! The only other lens I'd consider here would be the 50/2 Hexanon. You might be able to find a boxed copy for about the same price as a used Summicron.

Old 02-16-2010   #4
degruyl
Just this guy, you know?

Or the collapsible version... which is somewhat less expensive still. It is a wonderful lens, and a wonder for pocketablilty. Of course, it is somewhat older, but finding a well cared for version is not difficult.

Old 02-16-2010   #5
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

The 50 Summicron is a terrific lens if you are only going to have a couple of 50s. Strong all the way around and nice performance wide open. It also is relatively compact and in some cases has a built in hood, which is convenient.

If you're shooting film you might consider the DR Summicron, pretty much the king of Bokeh. Great with B&W.

Kent

ps- In addition to the Hexanon listed above the CZ Planar 50 used would be a nice lens as well. Sharp as a tack, though contrasty.

Old 02-16-2010   #6
kzphoto

Or you could be super cool and track down a converted Contax G 45/2. All opinions aside though, almost every 50/2 performs amazingly well.

Old 02-16-2010   #7
gilpen123
Gil

The Hex 50 2.0 is exceptionai IMO though it doesn't handle like a cron and a bit bulky. I'm going for a V4 cron if I find a good one.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 02-17-2010   #8
Roger Hicks

The Summarits are excellent. We had them for review and Frances paid her own money to keep the 50mm. Having had a couple of Summicrons (including the last pre-aspheric version) and the Summarit, I'd go for the Summarit: I find it has more 'sparkle' in the images. After all, if you need the speed, you can use the f/1.1, and 2/3 stop (f/2 to f/2.5) is neither here nor there if you are in half-decent light. The ergonomics of the Summarit are nicer too. Here's the review:

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...0summarit.html

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by Roger Hicks : 02-17-2010 at 02:13.

Old 02-17-2010   #9
aizan

the current version summicron doesn't appeal to me much. harsh bokeh, flares easily, and i don't like the ergonomcs (no focus tab, built-in hood). the older rigid/dr and collapsible versions are more desireable, it seems to me. i'd gladly give up half a stop to get the summarit-m.

Old 02-17-2010   #10
Viktor Sebastian
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
the current version summicron doesn't appeal to me much. harsh bokeh, flares easily, and i don't like the ergonomcs (no focus tab, built-in hood). the older rigid/dr and collapsible versions are more desireable, it seems to me. i'd gladly give up half a stop to get the summarit-m.
Yes perhaps. But will you give up close focus of 0.7m for 1m?

Old 02-18-2010   #11
aizan

totally. i can't remember the last time i took a picture at even 1m.

Old 02-18-2010   #12
degruyl
Just this guy, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
totally. i can't remember the last time i took a picture at even 1m.
Wow. I often have to rock my head to focus... Different strokes...

Old 02-18-2010   #13
tbarker13
shooter of stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Oh hey Oren
i know You ADORE the 35 1.4 voigt. / Its Wonderful Classic Sig.
so for a 50
How about either the 50 f2 Planar /super crisp ...known as the summicron killer / I Love what salmonpink & mfogiel
has done with that lens on flickr

otherwise who knows maybe the 2.5 Summarit...
Definitely agree with Helen. Love the 50 planar. I've been using one in most of my recent portrait sessions (seen on my flickr feed). I know that's a little different than your intended use but it is very nice lens that replaced my own 50 summicron, which seemed to flare a bit too easily for my uses.

Old 02-18-2010   #14
Santafecino
button man

And, of course, there is the CV 50mm f:2.5 color-skopar, which I haven't tried but shows up well in postings on the forum.

Old 02-18-2010   #15
f/1,4

At http://www.summicron.de you can compare pictures taken with Summilux M, Summicron M and Elmarit M 50mm. All pre-ASPH it seems. The visual expression that they bring you are slightly different between them. Summiliux tends to let the focused object stand out from the background slightly more than what the Summicron does, with the Elmarit coming third with the "flattest" image (in all respects). Matches well with the pictures I get with the same lenses. A used pre-ASPH Summilux would bring you most of the light captured with a Noctilux at lower weight/size and at only 100 to 200 dollars more than what you would pay for a used Summicron. Have sold all CV lenses. Not that they are bad. Just because I find most of the Leicas to be better. (Opinion only. Sure many would not agree at all about the CV lenses.)
The latest optical version of the Summilux before it went ASPH, but with the second latest mechanics might be the one to look for. It can take the good old large lenshood that has been available for the Summiliux for ages. The newer versions with built-in lenshoods are not much help when you try to go against the sun mornings and afternoons.

Old 02-18-2010   #16
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzphoto View Post
Or you could be super cool and track down a converted Contax G 45/2. All opinions aside though, almost every 50/2 performs amazingly well.
Kevin... I think one of those converted Gs is in your future! They are absurdly sharp.

Kent

Old 08-05-2011   #17
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebben View Post
Yes perhaps. But will you give up close focus of 0.7m for 1m?
It's actually 0.8m.

Old 09-13-2016   #18
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
The Summarits are excellent. We had them for review and Frances paid her own money to keep the 50mm. Having had a couple of Summicrons (including the last pre-aspheric version) and the Summarit, I'd go for the Summarit: I find it has more 'sparkle' in the images. After all, if you need the speed, you can use the f/1.1, and 2/3 stop (f/2 to f/2.5) is neither here nor there if you are in half-decent light. The ergonomics of the Summarit are nicer too. Here's the review:

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...0summarit.html

Cheers,

R.
I was reading the article yesterday and would like to find out how Summarit was standing long term use?

Old 09-13-2016   #19
Richard G

Summarit. Small. See Roger Hicks's post.

Old 09-13-2016   #20
raid
Dad Photographer

I use a Zeiss Planar G 45/2 in M mount, and I love it. I love equally my Rigid Summicron 50/2. I have not used a Summarit (modern) lens, so I cannot advise for/against using one.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-13-2016   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
The Summarits are excellent. We had them for review and Frances paid her own money to keep the 50mm. Having had a couple of Summicrons (including the last pre-aspheric version) and the Summarit, I'd go for the Summarit: I find it has more 'sparkle' in the images.
Agreed...and the Summarit has a short focus throw which comes in handy on the street. I would imagine most here have never tried the Summarit. Well, here are two fans of the lens (who've actually used it).

Old 09-13-2016   #22
f16sunshine

If you don't mind buying 2nd hand, The M Rokkor 40mm f2 lens for the CLE is would be a super compliment to your Nokton.
It's a touch wider and handles so nicely. It's a very small lens yet the focus and aperture tabs allow great control.
The CLE version is the last and is multi-coated.

I also use the CV color Skopar f2.5/50mm.
The handling again is excellent for such a small lens.
Like the M Rokkor 40mm the Color Skopar f2.5/50mm has a Focus tab.
If cost is important,.. You could own both for less than the Summarit or Summicron price.
As for the f2.5 vs f2 .... Half a stop in that range is difficult to quantify aside from lens size.

Edit. I see Huss has already suggested the f240mm Summicron which is the same lens formula as the M Rokkor only with single coated glass.

Old 09-13-2016   #23
jsrockit

Just so everyone knows, this thread was brought back from the dead by post #19. The OP probably made his decision long ago...

Old 09-13-2016   #24
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Just so everyone knows, this thread was brought back from the dead by post #19. The OP probably made his decision long ago...
We're all a funny bunch sometimes

Old 09-13-2016   #25
raid
Dad Photographer

As usual, we are more focusing on our own lenses!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-13-2016   #26
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Thanks for noticing!

I've had Collapsible Cron, now Rigid, but want to change it to Leica lens with fresher glass.

Used v3 and v4 Crons are currently same (not in good cosmetical condition) or more expensive comparing to used Summarit 50 2.5 in similar condition.
I would like to know how good is Summarit 50 2.5 in long terms use. Loose focus tabs, wobbling and such.

Old 09-15-2016   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I would like to know how good is Summarit 50 2.5 in long terms use. Loose focus tabs, wobbling and such.
I have had a Summarit 50/2.5 for a few years, done several long trips with it. No sign of any wear and tear, really like it's form factor. I also have 2x Summicron 50's, CV Heliar 50/3.5, Sonnetar 50, ... Love them all

Old 09-15-2016   #28
bayernfan

another vote for the m-rokkor 40/2 cle version. it's got that 70's summicron vibe, really interesting look with a little vintage glow.

Old 11-20-2016   #29
Daryl J.

@Ko.Fe, I'm presuming the whole early Summarit-M line is built to the same standard. My 2.5/75mm Summarit is holding up beautifully. It'll take 40 years to know but I think it'll be similar to a Nikon/Nikkor Ai lens in terms of materials durability. Perhaps better.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #30
Deckerx

I am currently struggling to pull the trigger on either a new summarit 50 2.4 or used cron. I really love the first rigid m design summicron but finding one in good shape is a task.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #31
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I'm frequent in this thread and even more frequent with trying of 50mm RF lenses.

Summar, Summitar, Summarit 50 1.5, Collapsible and Rigid Cron, Nokton VM 50 1.5, Planar ZM 50 2, Jupiter-8... I have tried and sold. I'm keeping old Jupiter-3, but on FED-2 (it worked fine on M4-2 and M3 as well). If I ever get another 50 for M it would be Summarit original (very difficult to find without damaged by user glass), Collapsible Cron (also not easy to find with fine glass) or Summarit-M 50 2.5 (based on my high satisfaction with 35 version).