Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com

Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com It is almost never that an inventor improves on a Leica product so that it is better than the original Leica product. Tom holds that distinction with his RapidWinder for Leica M rangefinders -- a bottom mounting baseplate trigger advance. In addition Tom manufacturers other Leica accessories such as his very popular Soft Release and MiniSoftRelease shutter releases. Tom is well known as one of the true Leica rangefinder experts, even by Leica. IMPORTANT READ THIS: CWE Forum hosts have moderation powers within their forum. Please observe copyright laws by not copying and posting their material elsewhere without permission.

Beutler developer
Old 02-24-2009   #1
tbm

Beutler developer

Tom, I just rediscovered the attached two-and-one-half page article about the Beutler developer in an old magazine titled "35mm and Sub-Miniature Photography" from December 1962. It was lodged inside one of my 1950s Leica Fotographie magazines. Though the article appeared in three parts in three different issues, I don't appear to have parts two and three. Additionally, I suspect you will learn nothing from this first part, but I thought you might find it somewhat interesting to read nevertheless.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img154.jpg (110.1 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg img155.jpg (71.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg img156.jpg (111.3 KB, 201 views)

Old 02-24-2009   #2
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Thanks Terry. I even remember having seen that article in one form or another a long time ago. Just like Leica Photographie, the 35mm and miniature film magazines had the worst pictures in them!
Leica did the same thing with their sales and manuals - same old pictures of the old Ford Taunus 12M shot at an oblique angle and various girls dressed in Dirndl alpen dresses! Great fun and nostalgic.
The Beutler was used by Leica for decades as a developer for their promotional prints. Later they switched to Neofin Blau as that was basically the same thing and came premixed.
It is a great developer and I figured out that my developer cost is in the vincinity of $0.08/roll when I mix it myself!.

Old 02-24-2009   #3
tbm

How does Beutler handle white tones? I ask because I captured images of some people recently wearing clean, new t-shirts in semi-bright sun, processesd the Acros 100 in ID-ll without dilution, and there was no detail in the t-shirt material.

Old 02-24-2009   #4
oftheherd

There was a book in the 70s that had a lot of formulas for different developers, and Buetlers and Neofine Blu were in it as I recall. I don't recall the name, but it was something like the Photographer's Darkroom Handbook or some such. I used some of the formulas to experiment with in Korea the first time I was there. It used to be easy to buy photo chemicals and mix your own.

Old 02-24-2009   #5
1948nikon

Yes Toms right again.
Neofin Blau was in fact the equivalent of Willy Beutler's developer. There was also Neofin RED for high speed work or high contrast. Beautiful clean working developers .

Old 02-24-2009   #6
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm View Post
How does Beutler handle white tones? I ask because I captured images of some people recently wearing clean, new t-shirts in semi-bright sun, processesd the Acros 100 in ID-ll without dilution, and there was no detail in the t-shirt material.
ID-11 (aka D76) can block up highlights.

So, I switched to a divided developer. Divided D76, Barry Thornton's 2-Bath, Stoekler two bath etc.

Perfect highlights and excellent shadow detail.

Old 02-24-2009   #7
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Beutler in the 1:1:8 dilution tend to be a bit contrasty, but by diluting it to 1:1:10 with Acros it is moderated. A lot depends on your exposures too - if the detail is not in the neg - its gone!
If you do a lot of shooting in high contrast situations - the divided developers work best. I have used them all I think and the latest one was Td 201, which has the advantage that it will work on modern T-grain films. Most of the older ones will give very thin Tmax negatives - but the Td 201 id well, even with Tmax 100 (miserable film for high contrast usually) and the new Tmax 2-400.
With the Td 201 you need to set up a filtration system though as it will accumulate "crap" cheerfully and deposit on the finished film. A simple Melitta coffee filter works well - or a school lab filter and funnel works even better. Expect to get at least 40-45 rolls through a 2000 ml A and B Td 201 and good high light separation too. Not good for pushing though - rated speed or maybe even a 1/2 stop down.
Just Goggle TD 201 or go to the "Shooting Kodak Double X" site her on RFf - lots of information by severely chemically dependent users!

Old 02-24-2009   #8
charjohncarter

I don't think I will use this developer but thanks for posting the information. It is always fun to read about what others are doing.

Old 05-08-2009   #9
Fotohuis

I am looking for developing-film data for the Beutler developer. I could not find some developing table, only some loose phrases.

Due to the fact the Amaloco AM20/50 developer is discontinued I am searching for a replacement.
AM50 is a high definition developer based on Pyrocatechine and it's a non-staining developer. Neofin Blau/blue (Tetenal) is pretty expensive (>Eur. 10,00 for 5 small bottles) so I think it's time to make my own Beutler receipture.

So in that way I am looking for more data especially for the slow and medium speed films.

Old 05-08-2009   #10
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
There was a book in the 70s that had a lot of formulas for different developers, and Buetlers and Neofine Blu were in it as I recall. I don't recall the name, but it was something like the Photographer's Darkroom Handbook or some such. I used some of the formulas to experiment with in Korea the first time I was there. It used to be easy to buy photo chemicals and mix your own.
Possibly Steve Anchell's "The Darkroom Cookbook"

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-08-2009   #11
Fotohuis

Yes, more data please.

Old 05-08-2009   #12
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Data - as I see it with Beutler (and according to my exposures). Use as a guide lines as , as they say, the results may vary:
Acros 100 @100: Beutler 1:1:10 for 7 min
Tmax 100 @100: Beutler 1:1;8 for 7.5 -8min
Efke 25 @32 : Beutler !:1:8 for 5,5 min (in bright, contrasty light - use 1:1:10 and same times.

You can use Beutler with 400 iso film too - but be prepared for aggresive grain.
Tri X @400 1:1:8 11 min
XX @250 1:1:8 10 min
Presto 400 @400 1:1:8 12 min.
Tmax2 @ 400 1:1:8 12.5 min.

Beutler is very agitation sensitive. Dont over agitate. I usually do 2 turns/min (with Paterson 5 reel tanks).
Mixed A/B stock seem to last at least 2 month.
With some slower films (Acros/Efke) I occasionally agitate two turns every minute, except the last 2-4 minutes when I do it every 2nd minute.

One of the great combinations is (if you can find it) Kodak's 5231 ( Plus X movie stock) - shot at 80-100 iso and developed in Beutler 1:1:10 for 6.5 min. Great midtones and very smooth grain. Great "sunny" weather film as it handles mid and highs very well.
I will venture into my files and see if I have more results somewhere and post them. There are a lot of Beutler samples on our Flick'r site too.

Old 05-08-2009   #13
Fotohuis

Thank you very much for this insight information about Beutler receipture.

Are you using the original formulae or have you modified the formulae with 0.001% PotassiumIodide where you have even a bit more edge effect from this developer? This modified Beutler is comming very close to Crawley's FX-1 High Acutance developer.

Best regards,

Robert

Old 05-08-2009   #14
Harry Lime
Practitioner

I use a variation of this developer that was tweaked by the late Barry Thornton, to work better with thinner modern emulsions. I've been using it for about 2 years now and have developed a few hundred rolls of Tri-X with it. It is superb for any film up to 400asa and I gave up on Ilford DD-X etc.

BATH A
Metol- 6.5gr
Soduim Sulfite- 85 gr
Water to make 1 liter

BATH B
Sodium Metaborate- 12gr
Water to make 1 liter

Do not presoak
Do NOT agitate bath B. Just give the tank a tap against the table and let it sit.

Look here on APUG for more info
http://*******.com/op38co

Last edited by Harry Lime : 05-08-2009 at 06:45.

Old 05-08-2009   #15
Fotohuis

OK, thanks to all data especially those from Tom I could extrapolate the developing times for the new Rollei SUPER Pan 200 film with the Beutler receipture.
When the film has dried I will measure the exact logD values with my TRD-Z densitometer (see above photo).

There are a lot of good parameters and things for this Willi Beutler developer and it's really easy to make. As already said I am searching for a high quality High Definition developer instead of the AM50 of Amaloco Photochemicals.

Best regards,

Robert

Old 05-08-2009   #16
like2fiddle
Curious

So now I'm curious about making some of this/these developer(s). I've used Arm & Hammer Washing soda as a source of Sodium Carbonate in my caffenol developer. Does anyone know if it can be used as the Sodium Carbonate for making up Beutler?

WTB: 12526 rectangular hood

To the rocks, even the trees are just passing through...
John Stokes, the Tracking Project

My Flickr

Old 05-08-2009   #17
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
Thank you very much for this insight information about Beutler receipture.

Are you using the original formulae or have you modified the formulae with 0.001% PotassiumIodide where you have even a bit more edge effect from this developer? This modified Beutler is comming very close to Crawley's FX-1 High Acutance developer.

Best regards,

Robert
I have tried both versions. I could not see any difference in 100-400 iso film with or without the iodide. On really slow films KB 14/Efke 25 there is a slight improvement with the iodide, but considering the problem in getting the stuff, I doubt it is worth it.
I just got some extra Tech Pan and i will venture some experiments with the Beutler and that film later this summer- it needs a lot of light!

Old 05-08-2009   #18
Fotohuis

Quote:
Does anyone know if it can be used as the Sodium Carbonate for making up Beutler?
You're lucky because I had the same problem

Yes, you can use it but it's not so practical due to the extra water inside the Sodiumcabonate. You have to recalculate it back. Na2CO3 . 10 . H2O

So instead of:

1 mol Na2CO3 = 52g
1 mol Na2CO3 . 10 . H2O = 152g

152/52 x 50 g = 146,2 g Soda to weight.

So far it worked but it will depend on the quality of household soda. However it's worldwide produced by Solvay.

My first result of Beutler with the (Rollei) SUPER Pan 200 film is very good. Zone V (greycard) on 0,76 logD which is perfect. Very very sharp negatives!!

Last edited by Fotohuis : 05-08-2009 at 09:04. Reason: add quote

Old 05-08-2009   #19
Roger Hicks

Quote:
My first result of Beutler with the (Rollei) SUPER Pan 200 film is very good. Zone V (greycard) on 0,76 logD which is perfect. Very very sharp negatives!!
At what gamma/G-bar?

Tashi delek,

R.

Old 05-08-2009   #20
Fotohuis

Quote:
On really slow films KB 14/Efke 25 there is a slight improvement with the iodide, but considering the problem in getting the stuff, I doubt it is worth it.
Getting the stuff is not a problem, KI (Potassium Iodide) is in the fixer test (10%) but making especially the dillution and add it means not so practical chemistry 10% --> 0,001%.
In a commercial formulation it would be a problem either however Photographers' Formulary seems to add it in a 10ml vial cup.

Best regards,

Robert

Old 05-08-2009   #21
Fotohuis

Quote:
At what gamma
I have a C.I. of 0,65 now. Developing time: 9:30 Min. at 20 degrees C. 1+1+10

Last edited by Fotohuis : 05-08-2009 at 09:01.

Old 05-08-2009   #22
Roger Hicks

Quote:
I have a C.I. of 0,65 now. Developing time: 9:30 Min. at 20 degrees C. 1+1+10
Thanks. Slightly above ISO slope, then? (That's what works best for me too, so I'm not criticising).

Tashi delek,

R.

Old 05-08-2009   #23
Fotohuis

Yes, normally it should be 0,55 - 0,62 but due to the fact I am working with a diffusser with single condensor system (Dunco II 120 pro with split grade (TM) ) 0,65 is not too bad and the Beutler test is not completely finished yet.

Thanks to the info I am directly on the right track with this Beutler developer. Normally it takes me at least 3 test strips of film for such a test.

Best regards,

Robert

Old 05-08-2009   #24
Fotohuis

This is what I have got. My pond in my garden.
Rollei Super Pan 200, iso 160 in Beutler for 9:30 minutes in a dilution: 1+1+10
Leica M7 + Summicron 2,0/50mm.

Old 05-09-2009   #25
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

That looks really good! I suspect that the 200 needs a bit more "kick" than some of the Acros/EK 5231. At 1:1:10 the Beutler "exhausts" itself after 7-8 minutes. It is a great developer combination - cheap to make too.
The baking soda is an interesting alternative - only problem could be to dissolve 150+ grams. That is getting pretty close to a saturated solution.

Old 05-09-2009   #26
Fotohuis

I was pleased with the result too.

The Beutler is simple to make and indeed increadible cheap, less then 0,05 / film.
The 10.H2O. NaCO3 household soda is simple to dissolve due to the fact the H2O is comming out and the reaction is endotherm so the water is heating up automatically. It's going without any problems in the solution B.

I saw that the lifetime of the divided solutions is at least 6 months so in handling, price and simplicity it's a unique developer.

Best regards and thank you for your valuable comments.

Robert

Old 05-09-2009   #27
FPjohn

Hello:

To Tom and all: how, in your experience, do the Beutler formuli compare with Rodinol 1:50 or 1:100 ?

yours
FPJ

Old 05-09-2009   #28
Fotohuis

Rodinal in 1+50 or 1+100 is also going to be a high definition developer but I think this Beutler is just a tick sharper.
But Rodinal 1+50 is more semi-compensating.

The biggest disadvantage in Rodinal is the effective film speed which is going down for most films 1/3 - 2/3 F stop. And you need a slow agitation otherwise the grain is growing quickly.

For the price: Well Rodinal in 1+100 is still cheap.

I am really wondering why the price of 5 small bottles Neofin Blau/Blue from Tetenal is in Holland between Eur. 10,00 and Eur. 12,00 . Amaloco AM50 was Eur. 2,71 for 60ml 3-4 films!

Old 05-09-2009   #29
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Of course - I forgot about the soda being endotherm! On the other hand. my degree in clinical chemistry is close to 40 years old!
Carbonate is cheap too. I buy it in 10kg volume for something like $3.0/Kg.It is hygroscopic and unless sealed in plastic bags - it takes on the consistency of concrete.
I find that the Rodinal and Beutler give you a different look. Rodinal has a bit smoother look at 1:100 - but looong times (and boring). The Beutler is reasonably quick and it does give a bit more "edge" to the grain.

Old 05-09-2009   #30
Fotohuis

I can agree with the Rodinal smoother look.

About the long developing times:
http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/TAS_Flyer_D.pdf

so I do not really bother......

That's Great!
Old 05-09-2009   #31
FPjohn

Smile That's Great!

Well, that's great. I find a kindermann tank and the OS X clock make browsing rrf and Rodinol 1:50 - 14min development times compatible.

yours
FPJ

Old 05-09-2009   #32
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

From the local Hippie days celebration! This is with Kodaks EK 5231 (Plus X movie stock), rated at 100 asa (easier than trying to remember 80 iso when shooting with unmetered cameras).
Developed in Beutler 1:1:10 for 6 min. I cut 1/2 minute off here as it was really bright sunshine. Nikon S4 rangefinder and the old Nikkor 25mm f4.0 Rf lens. Not bad for a lens that is pretty close to 50 years old!

Last edited by Tom A : 05-09-2009 at 10:14.

Old 05-09-2009   #33
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
... Not bad for a lens that is pretty close to 50 years old!
A pretty close match for the subject! I had a '67 Type 2 once - those were the days!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-09-2009   #34
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Chris, I had the 1952, the 1954, the 1957, the 1961 and a 1973 Westphalia. Obviously I am a slow learner. Got quite good at sliding engines out and rebuilding or replacing them. Rarely bothered to put the rear bumper back on as it slowed down the process.

Old 05-13-2009   #35
Fotohuis

Here my attempt from this afternoon:
Efke 25 (E.I.25) with Beutler 1+1+10 for 7:30 minutes.

Indeed the negatives are rasor sharp.

The ducks nest. The bird was just away: M7 + Summarit 2,5/75mm.
Just along the river: M7 + Summicron 2,0/50mm
Well it looks like a magic combination. Recommended by Fotohuis!

Old 05-13-2009   #36
like2fiddle
Curious

very nice, I like the results. I am heading down to New York this evening and plan on trying to pick-up the ingredients for Beutler, D76 two-bath, and D-23 while I'm in the city. It looks like B&H might have all the necessary chemicals.

WTB: 12526 rectangular hood

To the rocks, even the trees are just passing through...
John Stokes, the Tracking Project

My Flickr

Old 05-13-2009   #37
Fotohuis

I am using for solution B, household Soda (Sodiumcarbonate) 0,90/1000g.
It's Na2CO3 . 10 H2O so for the recalculation:

1 mol Na2CO3 = 52g
1 mol Na2CO3 . 10 . H2O = 152g

152/52 x 5g = 14,6 g Soda (Household)

Solution A:
1g Metol
5g Sodiumsulfite

fill up till 100ml demi-water.

These are the most common ingredients for a lot of developers.

Old 05-13-2009   #38
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I have tried the EFKe at Rodinal 1:1:8 for 5 min. too. Higher contrast (for flat light stuff) but the 1:1:10 works better. Grey and dismal outside today - waiting for the annual pilgrimage of British Car guys on Saturday here. 600 cars and it is usually sunny. Great for some Acros 100 and potentially for Efke 25.

Old 05-13-2009   #39
P. Lynn Miller

I have been using Rodinal 1:100 stand with my Efke films, work wonders when pushing KB400 a stop or two. But I am thinking of using Beutler 1:1:10 for lower speed emulsions... especially KB25 and KB50.

I may even try Tri-X(400TX) pulled to 320 or 250 also...

Just have to find the compounds... anyone in Australia able to give some advice on where to get the needed chemicals to make Beutler?

Thanks,

P. Lynn Miller
Sydney, Australia

I have one of those Flickr thingy's...

Old 05-13-2009   #40
Fotohuis

Maybe Vanbar has someting from you.

Otherwise Photo Formulary in the USA. http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx
Or when nothing seems to be possible our Fotohuis from the Netherlands.

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...kelaars_en.pdf

Best regards from Holland,

Robert