Photo Arsenal Hong Kong
Old 02-17-2009   #1
Jim Evidon

Question Photo Arsenal Hong Kong

In surfing E-Bay, I ran across a company in Hong Kong called Photo Arsenal whose prices seem to be very reasonable. Has anyone had any purchase experience with this company? Comments, anyone?

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Leica M9P
Fuji X-Pro 1
Olympus OM-D (E-M5)
Leica T
Fuji XF-1
Sony Alpha 6000
Nikon 8008
Minox B

Old 02-17-2009   #2
bob338

i don't think anyone will agree that their prices are reasonable...

bob

Old 02-17-2009   #3
dexdog
sans bokeh

I am shocked that anyone would consider prices from Arsenal to be reasonable, but I guess it could happen. This outfit has affiliates in HK and Germany, and has occasionally been the subject of "can you believe what they are charging" threads at RFF.

I have never dealt with them because of their price structure, and I am not so sure that many folks here at RFF would even admit to having done so (I know that I wouldn't).

Good luck with your question!

Last edited by dexdog : 02-17-2009 at 09:31.

Old 02-17-2009   #4
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Only if "reasonable" is your private term for "outrageous, demented, unjustified".

They consistently price way above regular book price (often two to five times). I.e. on average, you'll pay much less than half that price at reputable auctioneers like Christie's, Sotheby's, Westlicht etc. - and catalogues do indicate that they bought at least part of their stock at the said high-price auctioneers...

That they often advertise modified items without any pedigree as "prototype" rather than as "questionable" or "damaged" does not increase my confidence in them either - that is considered rogue behaviour among serious photographica collectors and historians.

Sevo

Old 02-17-2009   #5
ferider

They always have a few items that are reasonably priced, for example this M3 for < US 650: 370158069185.

But then, there is lots of stuff way up there in the price range, like Saldago's M7 set for US 128.7k (370157735268), targeting another clientele alltogether.

This is just my observation, confirming the OP. I have not bought from them and would not buy from them in the future if only because of their ebay rating of 97.8%.

Best,

Roland.

Last edited by ferider : 02-17-2009 at 09:58.

Old 02-17-2009   #6
ZeissFan

I've found 99% of their prices to be unreasonable. The 1% that I found reasonable was a f/2.8 135mm Sonnar for a Rolleiflex SL 35 for $250. Seems like a lot of money, but I couldn't find one for less than $275.

In general, their products are vastly overpriced.

Old 02-17-2009   #7
haagen_dazs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Evidon View Post
In surfing E-Bay, I ran across a company in Hong Kong called Photo Arsenal whose prices seem to be very reasonable. Has anyone had any purchase experience with this company? Comments, anyone?
maybe we should be asking why Jim thinks its reasonable ?
Perhaps he saw some good deals.

Old 02-17-2009   #8
gutguido

Sorry to pile on ... like the others have said, their prices do tend to be higher, sometimes a lot higher, than what the rest of the market has to offer to be honest. If you happened to have found a good deal from them, good for you.

Old 02-17-2009   #9
Prosaic
-

Bad item descriptions, hidden defects, arrogant communication, never again.

Old 02-17-2009   #10
David Murphy

I kind of like their listings on eBay. Never bought from them though. I really don't know what "reasonable" prices are myself. Reasonable is what the market will bear, and they must be selling something since they're expanding and all those eBay listings are not exactly free. I have noticed lately that they're prices are softening a bit - no surprise in the economy.

What I'd really like to know about Photo Arsenal thiugh is where the heck does all that great gear come from!! It's a helluva collection.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 02-17-2009   #11
aizan

it creeps me out how high their prices are. they just rob you blind.

Old 02-18-2009   #12
Doug

They seem to prefer payment by wire transfer, which I won't do, but do offer to take credit cards... not clear whether by phone or what. I have seen more reasonable prices from their HK store than from the German one.

Old 02-18-2009   #13
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Not only are Arsenal prices outrageous, but also Boris K. and his Hong-Kong associate are just plain crooks. Three years ago, I bought a Takumar lens direct from their website (not through an eBay auction sale). They insisted on being paid with Western Union money transfer. Once the payment sent, the item was never shipped. I tried to contact Arsenal Photo on multiple occasions, not to avail. As it was a relatively small amount of money, I didn't take any further action but I have learned my lesson:
- I will never again buy anything from Arsenal Photo
- I will never again use Western Union to pay for an online purchase.

Buyers beware as Arsenal Photo offers many fake, altered or poorly restored items that are sold as rare factory variants (look at the ugly paint job on this poor Voigtländer Bergheil).

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 02-18-2009   #14
Jonas

If you check their ebay feedback you can see that they have many feedback mutually withdrawn that indicates that they got a negative feedback and replied in the same manner. Then they probably asked if the buyer would mutually withdraw feedback so the buyer didnt have a negative feedback in their system. This was before sellers couldnt leave a negative feedback. I also find it strange that they have several buyers that buy 15 items from them at the same time and leave a postive with "OK". This indicates to me that they are boosting their own positive feedback. These two things tells me that their positive feedback should probably be way lower....

Old 02-18-2009   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

It's interesting going back through their eBay feedback ... a lot of the sales were reasonably fair market value ... a Hexanon f1.2 50mm went for a little over two grand but get a little further down and a double stroke M3 in nice but not mint condition goes for over $1000.00 BIN ... but that's the buyer's fault for not looking around first ... or maybe the extra few hundred dollars over what it was really worth doesn't bother some people!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370140434185

Old 02-18-2009   #16
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbazz View Post
Boris K. and his Hong-Kong associate
Boris K. is actually Boris Y., his last name is Yamshchik. He's from Kiev, and the name (ямщик) means "coachman" in Russian and Ukrainian.

Old 02-18-2009   #17
projectbluebird
Film Abuser

Now that many prices on ebay are dropping into the near affordable range, I've seen a few PA auctions doing the same. Regardless, they still have many grossly overpriced items, but there are a few reasonable ones scattered among the "prototypes".

Old 02-18-2009   #18
sonyleica

If possible, avoid them. Last time I won Minolta Glass 17-35 G with a very good price to me. However, I could not communicate with them about the payment and shipping. Then finally they told me that the lens must be serviced due to some technical problem (?) and asked me to be patient. Two weeks later they told me that the lens could not be repaired so the transaction was cancelled. I guess, they didn't want to let the lens go for price below average and find very clever excuses.

Old 02-18-2009   #19
Avotius
Some guy

I bought my zeiss 28 biogon ZM from the HK shop, just walked in and had no problems at all. Nice guy actually. Lots of very rare items there to ogle.

Old 02-18-2009   #20
rocheung

The most reasonable item I found in this site is the M8 battery. But too bad that Leica fixed its price very unreasonable. So finally it is still unreasonably high. haha

Old 02-18-2009   #21
urban_alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosaic View Post
Bad item descriptions, hidden defects, arrogant communication, never again.
+1.

ALL the above in my single experience with them. Will never even consider using them again...

Old 02-18-2009   #22
peter_n
~

They are dodgy. Some time within the past year there was outrage over their sale of a special titanium Leica M set given to Salgado by Leica. Salgado auctioned it to an Asian businessman and invested the funds in a Brazilian ecological project. The businessman must have sold it to Arsenal. Arsenal included a Salgado letter in the listing and the inference was taken that the funds would go to Brazil. A lot of people got very steamed about it. I think the set is still for sale if you have a spare $120K or so...

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-18-2009   #23
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
Boris K. is actually Boris Y., his last name is Yamshchik. He's from Kiev, and the name (ямщик) means "coachman" in Russian and Ukrainian.
Sorry, my bad. Thanks for the etymology.

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 02-18-2009   #24
Kino Glaz
Kiev Pixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayne View Post
... to people who are banking on trends and nonsensical pricing schemes (i.e. they could care less about the hobby, profession, etc. - they're "business" people).
Sounds like the LOMOGRAPHY syndicate and their schemes....sorry, can't resist!

Old 02-19-2009   #25
Bill58
Native Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayne View Post
Do not buy from PA, and in general do not do business with HK dealers. They tend to be price gougers and part of the problem. Whether you choose to exercise a loose boycott is your own decision - but I won't be sending my money to people who are banking on trends and nonsensical pricing schemes (i.e. they could care less about the hobby, profession, etc. - they're "business" people).
NOW we know why PA has a shop in HK!