Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Cleaning a 90mm elmar
Old 01-23-2006   #1
fredus

Cleaning a 90mm elmar

Hi there,

I just bought a cheap elmar in order for me to learn a few things about lens cleaning ... Could you recommend some web link or books to get started ?

Thanks for your help !

Fred

Old 01-23-2006   #2
rayfoxlee
Raymondo

Fred, we have a polymer called Opticlean over here. By all accounts it does an amazing job. Brush on, leave for up to 5 mins, peel off the cured polymer and presto! clean lens. Or so they say. Not tried it myself, though.

Ray

Old 01-24-2006   #3
marcust101

I've used Opticlean for a 6 months or so and it does an amazing job. Every lens has never being cleaner, good for storage too leaving the polymer on the glass. Watch out for the liquid running under the edge of the lens though and use a cocktail stick to remove if necessary. Try http://www.opticlean.com/ I'm not connected just enthusiastic about this stuff, makes life much easier.

Old 03-08-2017   #4
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

Buy some good spanners, they are worth the expense after the 2nd lens you open up. I was very appreciative to receive both the blade type and pin type from SKGrimes for Christmas and they've been enormously helpful.

I would also advise drawing out or photographing each step of the repair as you do it. If you can look up the specific item you are repairing, there may be notes on disassembly and possibly a Youtube video.

Other tools/supplies I can recommend: Ronsonol or Naphtha for element cleaning and general grease cleanup. Grease that doesn't break down in heat, Tri-flow as a light lubricant/drop some on stubborn screws to help break them loose, Simichrome polish (if the coatings are damaged/hazy or you want a full polished look on aluminum surfaces, also works as a paint polish and cleans chrome bodies like Pentax or Leica cameras without changing the surface texture.

Oh, and #1 supply tip: Buy stock in q-tips, then buy in bulk.

Filing down screwdrivers to fit correctly or creating your own tools is part of it as well.

I just did a 90/4 Elmar for a friend, no big surprises and it cleaned up rather well. Still gets beat by the 100/3.5 Canon as far as image quality but that's not a surprise either.

Old 03-12-2017   #5
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

Update on Opticlean... Great product!

https://www.photoniccleaning.com/default.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z3_4uAS-y4

Adelaide, South Australia