CLA coming: Q on "windows"
Old 03-20-2017   #1
roscoetuff

CLA coming: Q on "windows"

So I'm getting ready to send my M4-2 to Youxin for a CLA. Planning a viewfinder upgrade to the non-flare version at the same time. One of the options is to also change the windows out for an extra fee that would enable the 28mm and 75mm frame lines. I don't actually have these lenses or a plan to go there, and if this sort of thing makes the viewfinder worse in some way - cluttering the image, then there's no reason at all to go there. On the other hand, if it makes the camera more attractive to someone else one day (not soon by any means), and doesn't have any negative consequences, then I'd give it more consideration... which isn't to say I'd do it, just spend more time on the "Hmmmmmm...." before the "Nah....".

Thoughts?

Zeiss glasses on Leica (film) or Sony (digi) boxhead.

Old 03-20-2017   #2
Huss

The reason I bought an M4-2 over the M4-P is because the vf is far less cluttered. Because of the lack of the 28 and 75 frame lines, it is a much purer view and one of my favourites out of all my Ms (M3, M5, M7, M240).
So I wouldn't do it. Especially seeing that you don't have those lenses, so why ruin your view?

Old 03-20-2017   #3
roscoetuff

Sounds good. I bought the M4-2 as it was the po'man's Leica with the least interest and no meter so I could / would / have to go au naturale. Camera is a tool.

Good to know that M4-2 is sought for it's VF "as is". Wouldn't want to wreck that... just wondered if it doesn't actually bring those lines up, then it's a bonus for someone else who DOES want that? Guess I don't understand the clutter if the VF is working correctly on triggering the VF framing lines for the right lens and NOT triggering the wrong ones.

Zeiss glasses on Leica (film) or Sony (digi) boxhead.