Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Repair your own digital camera ..... 'iFixit'
Old 03-06-2017   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Thumbs up Repair your own digital camera ..... 'iFixit'

I was listening to the radio this morning and heard the guy who started this do it yourself electronic repair web site being interviewed ... and explaining how and why he did it.

Did you know that Apple has a team of lawyers whose job is to track down DIY repair information for Apple products on the internet in forums etc and get the posters to remove the information by threatening them with legal action!

And when you're having look at the web site check out the electronics tool kit they sell for about seventy dollars ... I'll definitely be getting one of those! I also tried typing in a few various digital cameras and was surprised at how many have extensive repair information in the data base. iFixit

And no .... I didn't type in 'Leica M' anything! lol

Old 03-06-2017   #2
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Equivalent tool kits for half that price Keith.
Ebay 112252587158.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 03-06-2017   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
Equivalent tool kits for half that price Keith.
Ebay 112252587158.

I'd be a little concerned about the quality fireblade. Being a mechanic I've discovered over the years you get what you pay for with tools ... I have several eBay specials laying around, screwdrivers with the ends twisted off them etc. I eventually bought some screwdrivers off micro tools and they have been absolutely bullet proof.

Old 03-06-2017   #4
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
.....Did you know that Apple has a team of lawyers whose job is to track down DIY repair information for Apple products on the internet in forums etc and get the posters to remove the information by threatening them with legal action!......
You sure about that? Iíve used the DIY videos on the iFixit website to help me repair several of my Apple products.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 03-06-2017   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
You sure about that? I’ve used the DIY videos on the iFixit website to help me repair several of my Apple products.

Jim B.

It was the originator of the iFixit web site, Kyle Wiens, who made that statement ... but he didn't explain how he side steps them.

Old 03-06-2017   #6
charjohncarter

Nothing like good tools: period. Also, Apple: they are like the NSA.