M2 Leaving Streaks/Lines in Last Two Frames
Old 01-16-2017   #1
Villanova
Minister of Silly Walks

M2 Leaving Streaks/Lines in Last Two Frames

Hi RFF,

My M2 is leaving a weird streak/line across the last two to three frames of each roll. The lines don't show at all throughout the roll, only towards the very end.

Below, the last two frames of a recent roll. The line passes through the middle of the photos and into the black bar separating each, showing up as a white line. Thoughts?

I've cleaned out the inside of my camera, checking for anything that might be inside the chamber when shut, but the problem is still happening. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-16-2017   #2
dufffader
Leicanaut/Nikonaut...

Hi.
If it doesn't look like scratch marks (difficult to tell on the screen) I suspect it could be something to do with the development phase.
Do you self process? Do you roll your own film (reusable film canisters, etc)?
In my cases when I get similar issues in the last few frames, it is almost always when I "accidentally" roll more than 37 frames per reel and you have film sticking out of the end of the reel during development, etc.

Old 01-16-2017   #3
Villanova
Minister of Silly Walks

Hi,

Good theories. I thought that too (occurring during development).

During my last session, while winding the film in the plastic reel, I made sure that the end of the film was wound past the plastic tab (where you first pass film through). (Just in case the last bit of film wasn't being developed while under the plastic tab.)

Those streaks developed anyway, so I'm not sure what to think anymore.

Old 01-16-2017   #4
Richard G

That last frame also seems to have a milky broad band across the railings from left to beyond the middle.

Old 01-17-2017   #5
dufffader
Leicanaut/Nikonaut...

Thinking about this overnight... it is not that easy to tell from that photo that you posted. You might want to troubleshoot it.
Easiest way to tell if it's the camera is of course to switch camera. Or load the next film end first rather than front of film first. If you narrow the camera out, then check the developed negative to see if it is physically damaged at the end (it could look like the negative has a crease, but you will be able to tell if it is).
If its none of those, it could be down to either the developing tank/reel or the developer/fixer interacts with the film.
- It sounds like you are using plastic reels. I've switched to metal reels as I find it more reliable, but I recall that the part of plastic reel may have a horizontal gap that might cover the last frame or so. If there's lack of developer it should appear darker on a converted negative. Since your streak is lighter, it could mean whatever's happening to the chemical prevented enough fixer to get to that part of the film. Have a look at your developing process and figure out what could cause that. Once you have 1-2 candidates, next developing cycle, try to work around it and see if you still see streaks.

Does the streak go across the black space between the two frames? I'm wondering it could be very faint light leak somewhere in your workflow process.

Old 01-18-2017   #6
Larry H-L

I'm with Dufffader, looks like a light leak.

Old 01-18-2017   #7
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I would try a roll of color film with lab development to see if it is the camera or your workflow. The line appears to be at an angle, if so that makes me suspect it is not the camera. Seems like it would be the whole roll if it was the camera. There appears to be a slight fog above the line in the very last frame as well, a broader swath.

Same kind of film each time it has happened? Bulk loads or factory loads? Even putting the reel in the tank upside down might help pin down how/where the leak occurs.

Old 01-18-2017   #8
Bill Clark

Could it be a scanning issue?

The steak goes across the black border. Recommend to check the negative and see if the entire border is clear which would be black when scanned or printed.

What do you think?

Old 02-22-2017   #9
Villanova
Minister of Silly Walks

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I never followed up. I took Dufffader's advice and tried developing rolls by winding the film backwards into the reel (tightest spiral first into the reel).

That solved by problem completely. I guess it's related to Dufffader's first post. The last frame or two weren't being properly developed due to being covered by the plastic tab on the reel.