Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

A New Sensor, but Varying Notes
Old 02-07-2017   #41
russelljtdyer
Writer

A New Sensor, but Varying Notes

This is a late response to the original post, but I'm responding for others who might have a similar question and read this thread in the future.

A few weeks ago, I brought my Leica M9 to a store in Milan, near where I live, to have the image sensor cleaned -- they do that for free. I did this because there were several spots appearing on images. They kept it a few days and then told me the sensor needed to be replaced. They sent it to Leica in Wetzlar for me -- they didn't change me for the shipping cost either.

I received an email saying that they confirmed that the image sensor needed replacing and they would replace it for free -- which was very cool. They returned the camera to the Leica store in Milan after three weeks.

There were two letters accompanying the camera. One was entitled "Delivery Note". It mentioned working on the camera to include updating the firmware, adjusting the rangefinder, and cleaning. It did not say that they replaced the image sensor. The second letter included in the package was entitled, "Repair Invoice". On that one it says that the sensor was replaced and I was charged nothing.

To address your original concern, in my situation Leica did not say they replaced the sensor in one letter, but they did say it in the other. Plus, it looks like a different image sensor -- which could be my imagination -- there are no spots, and the firmware has been upgraded. Maybe you have one letter, but not the other.

Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Leica M3 camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.

Russell's Photography Equipment (updated April 2015)
Leica M9 camera
Leica M3 camera

Leica Elmarit-M f2.8 21mm (E49) lens
Leica Summicron-M f2 50mm lens
Leica Elmarit-M f/2.8 90mm (E46 Germany) lens

Old 02-07-2017   #42
Jim-st

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelljtdyer View Post
There were two letters accompanying the camera. One was entitled "Delivery Note". It mentioned working on the camera to include updating the firmware, adjusting the rangefinder, and cleaning. It did not say that they replaced the image sensor. The second letter included in the package was entitled, "Repair Invoice". On that one it says that the sensor was replaced and I was charged nothing.
I was also puzzled by the documentation I received from Leica Wetzlar when my M9 came back after I'd sent it in to have the sensor looked at/ replaced

I got the same two documents as Russell, and also a little black Test Certificate card with the Leica logo on the front and the words "Your Leica product has been repaired by an experienced engineer and has undergone a comprehensive final inspection" in three languages inside, and signed with the initials A.R.. But the actual Repair Invoice said only the following:

Quote:
Net value order 827xxx: 0.00 EUR

Necessary Parts
Necessary Operations

Exchange sensor
adjust range finder
clean range finder
adjustment of all parts
cleaning and end control
This repair will be carried out on a good-will basis
A guarantee -and/or warranty is therefore excluded
Like the OP I have also wondered if this is really proof that the sensor was replaced, and I can only say I'm quite satisfied it must have been, as the strange spots I was seeing in the images from it are gone and have not recurred since it came back from Leica.

So I'm satisfied I have a new sensor, but not satisfied any future buyer will believe that on the basis of the documentation Leica provided

M9 : GX7 : GF1 : LX-100 : TZ10 : Trip 35 : Vito CLR : iPod Touch : Epson 3800

Old 02-08-2017   #43
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-st View Post

So I'm satisfied I have a new sensor, but not satisfied any future buyer will believe that on the basis of the documentation Leica provided
One has no control over the thoughts of future buyers.

Still, it is completely clear to any rational person your sensor was replaced. Any other interpretation of the paperwork violates the principle of Occam's razor.

Additionally, future buyers could have access to a recent DNG file from a well-illumnated, monochrome surface at f 16 (or higher) that should reveal the absence of artifacts commonly found on images from first-generation M9 sensors.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-08-2017   #44
johnwolf

My MM invoice says "Necessary service charge."

I emailed NJ Customer Service to request confirmation than the sensor was changed, and they replied that it was. I saved the invoice and the email exchange as a PDF. In case I ever sell it, that should satisfy a buyer.

I agree it should be stated on the invoice. But maybe they'd rather not document it.

John

Old 02-08-2017   #45
Fraser

Mine says-
_FJB2591 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr
So I'm quite confident its been changed.

Old 02-08-2017   #46
johnwolf

Yeah, that's pretty certain.

No cover replacement? Mine says that as well.

John

Old 02-10-2017   #47
Jhausler

Just got my M9 back from Leica NJ last week. The sensor glass had cracked and they replaced it for free (as they do). The documents did not say anything to the effect of "sensor replacement", but the crack is gone

I think they replaced the leather while it was there as well...

only took 3 months!

Old 05-16-2017   #48
victoriapio

Just got back my M9 which had lines on images plus other sensor issues, and all the service sheet says is:
1. Necessary service charge 3 Hrs
2. Leather covering replaced
3. Circuit M9 REV 4 + 5
4. Sealing ring, 1 X 1,5

RFers on various threads think the "Circuit M9 REV 4+5" is the sensor replacement. I'll verify via email ....

I was not charged for the service.

Old 05-16-2017   #49
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Yeah, that's pretty certain.

No cover replacement? Mine says that as well.

John
Leica cannot replace the sensor without replacing the leatherette.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-16-2017   #50
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I sent in my MM to Leica N.J. last December. When I got my camera back the paperwork had no mention of sensor replacement, but the circuit board was changed (zero charge), latest firmware installed, some type of calibration, and a labor charge of 3 hours.

Anyways the dead giveaway for a sensor replacement was the firmware update. Evidently the electronic circuit board gets changed out with the sensor. Also the new cover is performed because the old covering has to get removed any time the camera is opened up for repair.

So the cost to me was zero BTW. No charge for shipping either.

I hope this helps.

Cal

Old 05-17-2017   #51
victoriapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriapio View Post
Just got back my M9 which had lines on images plus other sensor issues, and all the service sheet says is:
1. Necessary service charge 3 Hrs
2. Leather covering replaced
3. Circuit M9 REV 4 + 5
4. Sealing ring, 1 X 1,5

RFers on various threads think the "Circuit M9 REV 4+5" is the sensor replacement. I'll verify via email ....

I was not charged for the service.
Sorry I failed to add that my firmware was updated although that was not stated in the worksheet.