Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Technique: How To Shoot It

Technique: How To Shoot It Ask questions about how to take pics, as well as share your own favorite shooting tips.

sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?
Old 01-12-2016   #1
haring

sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?

I have a Flashpoint Rovelight 600 monolight. I would like to take it to the beach for engagement photos and wedding photos.
The only problem is that it is a little bit top heavy. The battery is in the head unit itself.
I would like to use the light on a manfrotto light stand and a medium size softbox.

I am just wondering what size of sandbag do I need? What is your recommendation? We often shoot engagement sessions ans wedding portrait sessions on the beach. Wind is an issue.

Old 01-12-2016   #2
kymar

I use studio lights indoors and gerallay use about 3kg but if you're outdoors with the possibility of wind gusts I'd maybe get 2 or 3 bags. A lot easier to lug than a single 10kg bag unless you've got a very buff assistant.

Old 01-12-2016   #3
Rick Waldroup

Trust me on this. You can never have too much weight.

I shoot a lot of events outdoors and wind is the number one enemy. I use sandbags weighted down with gravel. Each sandbag weighs about 20 pounds. I use a minimum of 4 on each stand, sometimes many more. You can get these sandbags on ebay or Amazon. Back in the old days, I used to weigh my stands down with huge bags of cat litter.

The more weight you have on any stands, the much better off you will be.

Never underestimate the power of wind.

Old 01-12-2016   #4
Vince Lupo

3 - 15lb sandbags should do it (one for each strut). I have the kind that have handles, so they're not too bad to carry around. Do you have a cart? If not, that would go a long way to making your life easier in terms of lugging things around. Get one with big fat wheels, particularly for the beach!

If it's windy, the other thing you have to watch is that your soft box doesn't get all turned around. Maybe it might not be as bad as an umbrella, but something to keep in mind.

Old 01-12-2016   #5
jloden

I've used 15lb sandbags just to hold similar lights with a small modifier indoors, so I would agree with the other commenters. I don't think it's overkill to suggest at least a couple 15lb bags or more for an outdoor beach shoot!

Old 01-14-2016   #6
haring

I will do that! 15lb! How do yo carry your gear around? A cart?

Old 01-17-2016   #7
milosdevino

When I was an assistant, we used to travel with a couple of nylon sleeping bag covers. When we got to location (very often a beach) we filled them with sand. Instant sandbag!
No lugging. Once finished, empty the sand out.
If it is very windy, tie a guy rope to the stand and the other end to the sand bag. Bury the sand bag. It's called a "dead man" and is very effective.

Old 01-17-2016   #8
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haring View Post
I will do that! 15lb! How do yo carry your gear around? A cart?
You don't have a cart? If not, I highly recommend that you do. This will become readily apparent as you get older

These ones are very versatile and will fit it back seat of a four-door: http://rocknrollercart.com

Old 01-17-2016   #9
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Where wind and softboxes are concerned, as heavy as possible. Personally, I usually brought two light metal counterweights, a empty big sandbag and a empty folding water canister (in case there is a tap on location) for each softbox. And a roll of parachute cord and a bag of camping and mountaineering gadgets to secure everything to any possible surface I might run into. These days, I'd probably get a waterproof rafting bag to hold anything, whether water or rocks, but back then, these still were very expensive.

Old 07-12-2016   #10
haring

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosdevino View Post
When I was an assistant, we used to travel with a couple of nylon sleeping bag covers. When we got to location (very often a beach) we filled them with sand. Instant sandbag!
No lugging. Once finished, empty the sand out.
If it is very windy, tie a guy rope to the stand and the other end to the sand bag. Bury the sand bag. It's called a "dead man" and is very effective.
I think this is what I am going to copy! Awesome and very creative!

Old 07-12-2016   #11
Larry H-L

I've also asked young teenagers at weddings to "spot" my light stand even when sand-bagged, keeping the umbrella pointed in the correct direction. Give them $25, and they are thrilled for 45-60 minutes of work.

Old 07-13-2016   #12
Rico

Another method that is suitable for beaches or parks: drive tent pegs into the ground, and tie down your stand.

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Profoto

Old 07-13-2016   #13
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

One word: Leverage! You can calculate the safe weight to attach to the base of a single pole stand if you know the surface it presents to the wind - but by the point you have a counterweight that will hold it down in any situation, there is a fair chance that the pole will snap in a gale.