Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Technique: How To Shoot It

Technique: How To Shoot It Ask questions about how to take pics, as well as share your own favorite shooting tips.

Kim's Street Photography Seminars
Old 11-08-2015   #1
ktmrider

Kim's Street Photography Seminars

Am not sure where to put this but the question is has anyone done one of Eric Kim's street photography seminars? What did you think?

Old 11-08-2015   #2
gb hill

I haven't, can't afford to. I think they are overpriced. I have watched video's of his street seminars. They remind me of Meet Up photo groups. Many of those who have taken the seminar that I have read about were satisfied.

Myself I would rather spend my money with Chris Crawford. He teaches one on one according to what I have read in the past on his website. much cheaper & I guarantee I'd learn so much more.

Old 11-08-2015   #3
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

"I first heard about William Eggleston through my good friend and talented street photographer Charlie Kirk about a year and a half ago."
-- Eric Kim Blog, April 1, 2013

Old 11-08-2015   #4
shimokita
白黒

I took Eric Kim's workshop in December 2011. Our group was fortunate in that Kim had three co-instructors: Bellamy Hunter (Japan Camera Hunter), Charlie Kurk (more than just a Street Photographer), and Alfie Goodrich (professional photographer in Tokyo).

The old advice still applies: you get out in proportion to what you put in. I liked the fact that there were multiple instructors rather than one-big-name. In my experience, I was happy to pick-up a couple of points, try something different (for me), and connect with individuals that - four years on - I am still in regular contact with... in that sense it was similar to a good business seminar.

You might want to check out Charlie Kurk (who was mentioned in a previous post), I know he does virtual workshops (internet and Skype).

Would I recommend a photo workshop... in general yes, but maybe for different reasons: you can't learn post process in a photo workshop (take a separate course if that's your interest), multiple instructors means you're not stuck with one point of view, spend time with the workshop members as they often have a lot to offer (for the most part they are local after the instructor is down the road), and actively participate in the review sessions... looking at the work of others and understanding the critiquing process is a key aspect of any good workshop.

Here's one from that workshop

Have fun...

Old 11-08-2015   #5
newsgrunt

"As street photographers, we tend to gravitate towards finding the extraordinary moments in life. We want to find the craziest-looking characters, the strangest gestures, and moments that seem quite surreal." is quite the generalisation and one I don't think many of my contemporaries ascribe to. Indeed, my colleagues don't look for the 'wow' but just photograph life as we see out. banal or otherwise.

Old 11-08-2015   #6
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
"I first heard about William Eggleston through my good friend and talented street photographer Charlie Kirk about a year and a half ago."
haha, cracks me up

Flickr

Old 11-08-2015   #7
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Am not sure where to put this but the question is has anyone done one of Eric Kim's street photography seminars? What did you think?
I think the offerings of the Leica Akademie would be a better alternative.

flickr
pBase

Old 11-08-2015   #8
MikeL
Go Fish

Ben Hogan said something along the lines of you learn it "in the dirt". Some took this meaning that you just need to practice a ton.
What became clear was yeah, Hogan worked in the dirt, but it was all about process. He took a playful attitude- huh, I just saw someone do this, does it work? Hmm, that felt interesting, does it work under pressure? Keep what works and discard what doesn't.

Regarding any of these workshops, I can't imagine they would be inspirational. That they'd somehow get you to put time in inthe dirt. You either are interested and curious and want to be around people or not.

But maybe they can help with your process or an approach you can play around with?

Personally, I'm skeptical about throwing cash at something like this. It'd be way more interesting to me to take a playful attitude, figure out what or who I like and what their approach might have been, and see if it works for me. And then iterate.

Old 11-08-2015   #9
Cameron
Shoot me, not film

Spend the absurd amount of money that Kim charges and use it to travel. Travel, buy photo books, and shoot photos. Traveling and photo books are where real skill, talent, and knowledge develop, not in a day with Eric Kim.

Old 11-09-2015   #10
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Check Eric Kim's photography, see if you like what you see, spend some time with his work. A photographer's skill or lack of it are apparent in his photos.

Old 11-09-2015   #11
harpofreely

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
haha, cracks me up
I don't get it...

- Henry David Thoreau

Old 11-09-2015   #12
Hsg
who dares wins

You can watch Costa manos of magnum critique eric kim in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IGGX-vHjO4

Old 11-09-2015   #13
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

I led a group around on a street photography walkabout, last year during a photography festival here. It was a lot of fun but a lot of work too - teaching is hard and you not only are concerned that everyone who took the time to show up is getting something out of their time with you, but you also are forced to really think more deeply about photography.

For some people, a seminar like this would be very helpful. For others, they wouldn't get anything out of it and it would hinder them getting to where they need to go..same person running it, same event. It all boils down to "Know Thyself"

I will say this: you'll never go wrong spending time and money just getting out there and making pictures.

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 11-09-2015   #15
rfaspen

Ya know. The comments about "you get what you put in" and "connect with the fellow attendees" and "do the reviews/critique" are the key comments. My wife has attended a few different workshops of various kinds. Some better than others, but they're all part of her accumulated experience. One or two of the instructors left her lukewarm, but she enjoyed the workshop anyway because she was there to learn as much as she could, and she interacted with other like-minded photographers. How can that be bad? When the instructor was good, it was just that much better.

I like some of Kim's work, but I really don't know much about his approach. More importantly, I don't know how much his workshop costs, but a few negative comments wouldn't necessarily influence my decision to attend, or the amount of fun/learning I have. But, for any workshop (from any instructor) there is a cost:benefit equation that must reconcile. If Kim is too spendy, then I say spend your money elsewhere.

As an aside, one of my wife's favorite workshops was with a rather talented, but unknown, photographer who rallied up a workshop on a shoestring budget. The attendees enjoyed it much. That was in Portland OR.

Old 11-09-2015   #16
taemo

from what I've seen and read in the past, Eric's workshop is not so much about technique but more so about giving confidence with street shooting and pointing the camera to a stranger.

Old 11-09-2015   #17
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post
Check Eric Kim's photography, see if you like what you see, spend some time with his work. A photographer's skill or lack of it are apparent in his photos.
All previous comments aside, the skill of the photographer may have very little to do with teaching success.

The professor, most important to me, in art grad school, was not an artist, but a writer Udo Kulterman.

In fact if you listen to the crits by photographers linked by Eric Kim... well you decide.

Udo Kulterman Bibliography:
http://www.ranker.com/list/udo-kulte...orks/reference

Old 11-09-2015   #18
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
All previous comments aside, the skill of the photographer may have very little to do with teaching success.

The professor, most important to me, in art grad school, was not an artist, but a writer Udo Kulterman.

In fact if you listen to the crits by photographers linked by Eric Kim... well you decide.

Udo Kulterman Bibliography:
http://www.ranker.com/list/udo-kulte...orks/reference
I had never heard of Udo Kulterman and sadly there is no english wikki article about him.

Old 11-09-2015   #19
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post
You can watch Costa manos of magnum critique eric kim in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IGGX-vHjO4
You gotta hand it to the guy, he's himself posted the review of his work up on YouTube even though Costa Manos isn't very appreciative (yet), and it helps other viewers of the video to learn from it.

To my eyes, it's a sort of coherent body of work, even though many images need improvement. That's something he's got on many people already.

Would I spring for the workshop? Nope. I think I might have learnt more from watching the video just now, and listening to Manos

Old 11-09-2015   #20
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Oh, and don't forget to download the free e-book Eric Kim put up on his website just a few days back: http://erickimphotography.com/blog/

It's called "82 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography" and I haven't read it yet so cannot comment on how good it is, but hey, it's free!
I'm going to download that book and read it. Thanks

Old 11-09-2015   #21
Iestrada

I am not a fan of Kim's photography. But, I have read some of his writings on street photography. He started his blog and writings on street photography as way of sharing what he has learned about the genre along the way. I can not speak to his teaching ability or approach. Based on his writings I can assume that he is very knowledgeable about the genre. Is it worth the price of admission? Can't say. I have however taken workshops/classes knowing full well that I would not learn anything new. I took them for the opportunity to interact with like minded people and the price was justifiable in my mind. Can you justify the cost of the Kim workshop?

I appreciate his efforts.

Old 11-09-2015   #22
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
I took Eric Kim's workshop in December 2011. Our group was fortunate in that Kim had three co-instructors: Bellamy Hunter (Japan Camera Hunter), Charlie Kurk (more than just a Street Photographer), and Alfie Goodrich (professional photographer in Tokyo).

Alfie Goodrich. Now there's a fun chap to take a class with.

I had the pleasure of taking his class through the Tsukiji fish market at 6AM. He's been shooting there for years. If you get a chance, I can't recommend it enough.

Never took a class with Kim. I get a bit tired of this style of photography (straight in people's faces). But I do respect him.

www.stillthrill.com

Old 11-09-2015   #23
nikonosguy

You'd be better off taking a street photography workshop from anne geddes

Old 11-09-2015   #24
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosguy View Post
You'd be better off taking a street photography workshop from anne geddes
haha funny!

Flickr

Old 11-09-2015   #25
thompsonks

You can't lose – I looked at his workshop page, and he says if you aren't satisfied he'll give your money back!

Kirk

Old 11-09-2015   #26
aizan

a six day workshop with david alan harvey costs $2000, or $333 per day.

a three day (really 2 and a half) workshop with eric kim costs $500, or $166 per day.

i'd rather take a workshop with an expert, rather than someone who just took a workshop with an expert! i think i'd get exponentially more out of the experience.

Old 11-10-2015   #27
stephen.w

Quote:
Oh, and don't forget to download the free e-book Eric Kim put up on his website just a few days back: http://erickimphotography.com/blog/

It's called "82 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography" and I haven't read it yet so cannot comment on how good it is, but hey, it's free!
This gem on page 6:

"On the 19th frame, she started bursting out laughing and said, “You’re taking so many photos, you’re crazy!” and started laughing. On that frame, I captured the “decisive moment".

After capturing the moment, I still wasn’t 100% sure whether I got an interesting photograph or not, so I kept clicking, around 10 more frames."

Old 11-10-2015   #28
ironhorse
Joe DuPont

Quote:
You gotta hand it to the guy, he's himself posted the review of his work up on YouTube even though Costa Manos isn't very appreciative (yet), and it helps other viewers of the video to learn from it.

To my eyes, it's a sort of coherent body of work, even though many images need improvement. That's something he's got on many people already.

Would I spring for the workshop? Nope. I think I might have learnt more from watching the video just now, and listening to Manos
I agree and have no desire to take a workshop with Eric Kim. I believe that many of these workshops are a mainly social events and a way to avoid the real work of getting better at your craft.

I did, however, find the Costa Manos review interesting and informative.

Joe

"The whole point of taking pictures is so that you don’t have to explain things with words." - Elliott Erwitt

Old 11-10-2015   #29
Rayt

Well I just don't like his work which is too Gilden-esque for me.

Old 11-10-2015   #30
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
I haven't, can't afford to. I think they are overpriced. I have watched video's of his street seminars. They remind me of Meet Up photo groups. Many of those who have taken the seminar that I have read about were satisfied.

Myself I would rather spend my money with Chris Crawford. He teaches one on one according to what I have read in the past on his website. much cheaper & I guarantee I'd learn so much more.
Chris Crawford is indeed a talented photographer. I don't always connect with his work, but his explanations of photographic technique here on RFF are quite good imho.

I think one seeking photographic knowledge would do quite well to check Mr. Hicks site http://rogerandfrances.com/ for insights that are very well articulated.

I really cannot speak of seminars as I have never attended one, nor really wanted to. I always much prefered reading and then experimenting.

Old 11-10-2015   #31
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
haha funny!
Glad a couple of us are keeping you amused. It is not easy to get a laugh on here.

Old 11-10-2015   #32
nikonosguy

Quote:
Glad a couple of us are keeping you amused. It is not easy to get a laugh on here.
glad to be of service ---

Old 11-10-2015   #33
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.w View Post
This gem on page 6:

"On the 19th frame, she started bursting out laughing and said, “You’re taking so many photos, you’re crazy!” and started laughing. On that frame, I captured the “decisive moment".

After capturing the moment, I still wasn’t 100% sure whether I got an interesting photograph or not, so I kept clicking, around 10 more frames."

For a free book its pretty good.

Old 11-10-2015   #34
back alley
IMAGES

i'd love to take a workshop...just to be with like minded individuals with a shared interest/focus.
photography is mostly a lonely art and sometimes company would be nice.

xt20...xe2...xe1...
16...23...23...27...50...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 11-10-2015   #35
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i'd love to take a workshop...just to be with like minded individuals with a shared interest/focus.
photography is mostly a lonely art and sometimes company would be nice.
Here in NYC many of the RFF guys get together, as you probably know. I used to belong to a large artist's group. Probably my most meaningful artistic relationships. Free, and ongoing.

Old 11-10-2015   #36
back alley
IMAGES

i'm not sociable enough for an ongoing thing...but occasionally would be nice.
i have tried to light a fire under the asses of the 'alberta rff' group but to no avail...

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 11-10-2015   #37
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
I used to belong to a large artist's group. Probably my most meaningful artistic relationships. Free, and ongoing.
Same here. Nothing against workshops or Eric in particular, but I know I wouldn't learn that much in such a social setting (and really how much do you hope to learn in 3 days ?). And if I just want social interaction with other photographers, I wouldn't want to pay for it

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 11-10-2015   #38
jsrockit

Joe had joined us at a RFF meet-up once in the past.

Old 11-10-2015   #39
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
and i hope to again...i need to return home and visit some 'old' relatives sooner than later.

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 11-10-2015   #40
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
You guys are a fun group ! I kinda miss those. But I wonder if it takes a large city like NY or Tokyo to have a regular thing going, my attempts at a Montreal RFF didn't go very far either

WebsiteFlickrInsta