Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Cameras in the Movies / TV / Media

Cameras in the Movies / TV / Media If you are a photographer, it's difficult not to appreciate movies too. In this forum you can discuss movies, as well as the cameras used in them. What camera used in what film / TV show etc has long been a topic of discussion at RFF. Whether the Exakta and 400mm Kilfitt lens in Hitchcock's Rear Window or the Nikons in Eastwood's Bridges of Madison County, cameras are tools which reflect the time and technology of the film.

M2 in Mad Men!
Old 04-15-2014   #1
Takkun

M2 in Mad Men!

Now that the new season is airing, I am just now getting around to catching up to season 6 on Netflix, and here we are, Don's neighbor asking him for an M2. Of course, he's a surgeon…

The year is 1967. I'm surprised that Leica would be running a campaign for the M2 just as the M4 was coming out, but correct me if I'm mistaken.
find me on Flickr or tumblr.

Old 04-15-2014   #2
anjoca76

I think this has been mentioned before. And if memory serves me, it's a factual error. I don't watch Mad Men, but I think the M2 was released after whatever year this was supposed to be. Still pretty cool, though, error or not.

EDIT…oops, never mind. I didn't read what you'd written under the photo. Disregard what I said!

Flickr

Old 04-15-2014   #3
Takkun

And we also get a nice shot of a Rolleiflex TLR, the exact model I'm not entirely sure.

Old 04-15-2014   #4
Takkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
I think this has been mentioned before. And if memory serves me, it's a factual error. I don't watch Mad Men, but I think the M2 was released after whatever year this was supposed to be. Still pretty cool, though, error or not.

EDIT…oops, never mind. I didn't read what you'd written under the photo. Disregard what I said!
No worries! The attention to detail in staging, costume and props is amazing in this show, if not always chronologically accurate. The M2 was definitely around in the year this episode takes place (December 67/January 68), it just seems a little late that they would have ran an ad for it with the M4 just coming out that year. Don mentions that he has a 'closet full of 'em' because of an upcoming campaign.

Old 04-15-2014   #5
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

It would be interesting to know what the prop people did for that episode -- who lent them the cameras?

Old 04-15-2014   #6
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

If memory serves me right you never see the camera, just the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
It would be interesting to know what the prop people did for that episode -- who lent them the cameras?

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

M2 in Mad Men
Old 06-12-2015   #7
Iney1990

M2 in Mad Men

Theres only one thing white people love more than Mad Men and its Mad Men themed parties.