Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Lightroom for dummies - crop tool
Old 06-09-2016   #1
nickthetasmaniac

Lightroom for dummies - crop tool

Hi all, I'm in the process of switching to Lightroom CC after seven years or so with Aperture 3 and I'm having a few teething issues.

The one for today - cropping:
- I have imported a hundred or so 35mm scan files, and I want to crop them all to a 3x2 ratio. The original files are not 3x2, and are generally random ratios that the scanner thought was appropriate, ie. they're not consistent.
- How do I stop the cropping tool from defaulting to 'original' when I move between files? Is it possible to lock it to 3x2?

Apologies if this is overly simplistic. I'm not great at picking up new tech...

Cheers, Nick
We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isnít completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 06-09-2016   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

When moving from one file to the next if you click on previous it applies the same settings to that file as it did to the last. This is provided you stay in develop mode ... there's probably other ways to achieve this but so far it's the only way I've managed to do it.

Old 06-09-2016   #3
lynnb

In the Develop module, select Command ->Copy (on Mac). The Copy Settings dialog box will appear, with check boxes for all development settings including Straighten Angle and Crop Aspect Ratio. Select the check boxes for the development settings you want to copy, select other photo/s and Paste.

Even easier and quicker: Develop the first photo, including Crop. Then with that picture selected, extend your selection to all photos, and click the Sync... button on the bottom right hand side of the screen. The Sync dialog box allows you to select which development settings are applied to the selection.

Old 06-13-2016   #4
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
In the Develop module, select Command ->Copy (on Mac). The Copy Settings dialog box will appear, with check boxes for all development settings including Straighten Angle and Crop Aspect Ratio. Select the check boxes for the development settings you want to copy, select other photo/s and Paste.
Thanks, this did the trick.
We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isnít completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Old 06-13-2016   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Hi all, I'm in the process of switching to Lightroom CC after seven years or so with Aperture 3 and I'm having a few teething issues.

The one for today - cropping:
- I have imported a hundred or so 35mm scan files, and I want to crop them all to a 3x2 ratio. The original files are not 3x2, and are generally random ratios that the scanner thought was appropriate, ie. they're not consistent.
- How do I stop the cropping tool from defaulting to 'original' when I move between files? Is it possible to lock it to 3x2?

Apologies if this is overly simplistic. I'm not great at picking up new tech...

Cheers, Nick
Another fast and simple way to set the crop on a hundred files:
  1. Select all the files
  2. Open the crop tool
  3. Be sure "AutoSync" in the right hand panel is enabled
  4. Select 3:2
  5. Close the crop tool

Fast and efficient.

Old 06-13-2016   #6
lynnb

thanks for that tip Godfrey

Old 03-15-2017   #7
nickthetasmaniac

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but while both of the below methods worked when I first started having this issue, now nothing mentioned here works.

Ie. regardless of what I try and do, I cannot make Lightroom maintain the same crop aspect between different images...

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post

Even easier and quicker: Develop the first photo, including Crop. Then with that picture selected, extend your selection to all photos, and click the Sync... button on the bottom right hand side of the screen. The Sync dialog box allows you to select which development settings are applied to the selection.