Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Voigtlander Vitomatic iib rangefinder help
Old 03-09-2017   #1
musicalsusical

Voigtlander Vitomatic iib rangefinder help

Hi, everyone! I've been shooting a bit of film off this Vitomatic iib for a little over a year now, but it took an unfortunate tumble the other day. I hiked the second highest peak with this camera without incident, but when it falls off my bed, it gets messed up.

Anyway, when I go to focus the camera, the focus ring does not move the rangefinder double image within the viewfinder. I know broken prisms are often the cause for this sort of thing, but I'm not convinced that's what the problem is.

I took the top off my camera and found that when I shifted the rangefinder prism myself, the double image within the viewfinder would in fact move (though it isn't lining up--my thinking here is that the fall messed up the calibration). This makes me think that something is wrong between the focus ring and the rangefinder prism, but I don't know how they are connected/work together.

Any insight would be appreciated! I can post photos if that's helpful too. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2017   #2
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

Hmm tricky, I have a Vitomatic II, and thankfully didn't have to adjust the RF. I hear they are prone to mirrors falling off (the moving mirror) when banged, but if you can see a second image then it must be there. In the plain II (which is unit focus - I think yours is front cell focus) there is a long pin that extends into the lens/shutter assembly and pressing this in moves the RF mirror:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikegur...7660096323620/
A similar thing is used in some Zeiss RFs. Post some pics if you can.