Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

M3 Advance lever doesn't lock after changing the frame - Help!
Old 03-05-2017   #1
tidefilm

M3 Advance lever doesn't lock after changing the frame - Help!

Hello everyone! I have aquired an M3, which so far looks allright to me, some bigger dents, shutter sounds like a charm,
viever is bright and clear, but there is one issue that maybe you can help me.

The strange thing is about the advance lever, I recognized when using it.
Having forgotten if I advanced it allready after taking a picture or not I advanced it and it moved but it was allready strained.
The lever seems to not get into the fix position after straining and still moves on in a loose way.

I have a short video I just made with my phone right here: https://www.dropbox....G_0215.MOV?dl=0

Does anybody know where this could come from? And if this is something serious to care about? I d love to fix it but don t
have the budget if this would be expersive. I never saw something like this on a film m.

Thanks a lot in advance

Old 03-06-2017   #2
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Might it be a double stroke M3?

Old 03-06-2017   #3
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidefilm View Post
Having forgotten if I advanced it allready after taking a picture or not I advanced it and it moved but it was allready strained.
The lever seems to not get into the fix position after straining and still moves on in a loose way.
It would help if you could say what you mean be "the fix position." Does this mean the normal, or stowed position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Might it be a double stroke M3?
That was my first thought. If a Ds, then after the first half-wind, the lever would remain in the standoff position and needs to be returned to the start position (the fixed position?) for the second half-wind.

To the O.P.: what is the serial number of the camera? If it is an early M3, this may be normal. You would have to do two short winding strokes.

Old 03-06-2017   #4
madNbad

I watched the video on LUF and perhaps the shutter curtains have become detached. The OP advances the lever at least three times without ever having to release the shutter. A double stroke would have been fully ready after two and either type wouldn't let the user continue to wind the advance lever. To the OP: open the back of the camera and see if the the shutter curtains are moving when advancing the wind lever.

Old 03-08-2017   #5
tidefilm

hello, and sorry the video link didn t work, don t know what happened. this should do: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6emlz6nmz..._0215.MOV?dl=0

its a single stroke unit, serial above 915000.

and the lever is spanning the shutter just fine, just afterwards its position isn t fixed, it still moves without moving anything, not advancing the film and not moving the curtains. still is worrieng me because it should be this way should it?