Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Nikon F Strange Shutter Issue
Old 02-23-2017   #1
eckmanmj

Nikon F Strange Shutter Issue

I have a 67xxxx serial number Nikon F with a strange shutter issue.

The symptom is that upon cocking the shutter and pressing the shutter release, the mirror flips up, the first curtain opens, but thats it. The second curtain never closes, and the mirror stays up. This happens at all speeds, and on B and T. Its almost like the camera is perpetually stuck in T mode leaving the shutter open, but it never closes.

But if I turn the A/R knob to R, the shutter closes and the mirror comes down.

Initially, I thought it was just jammed due to a frozen slow speed escapement or something of the like. I took off the top plate and the bottom plate and inspected for any obvious damage and I see none. I dribbled some naphtha oil where the slow speed escapement is, and on the shutter release shaft that goes through the middle of the A/R knob and it made no difference.

Even with the camera partially disassembled, the problem persists. The shutter cocks and opens fine, but it will never close on it's own.

The only other troubleshooting is I winded the self timer all the way to 10 seconds and released it and although it counted down like normal, it did not fire the shutter, even when cocked.

Here are two pics of how the camera is now. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170222_213321.jpg (21.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20170223_175011 (1).jpg (23.9 KB, 21 views)

Old 02-23-2017   #2
johnf04

A problem with the 2nd curtain spring? The mirror stays up, because it is the curtain completing its travel, which trips the mirror return.

Old 02-24-2017   #3
monopix
Ex ZI user

Can't help but if you want a service manual you can get it here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...2hrZUkwQzkyQWc

Old 02-24-2017   #4
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf04 View Post
A problem with the 2nd curtain spring? The mirror stays up, because it is the curtain completing its travel, which trips the mirror return.
I am pretty confident the issue isn't with any of the springs. I can get the mirror and shutter to close properly, the issue is that something is preventing the shutter from completing it's cycle unless I intervene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monopix View Post
Can't help but if you want a service manual you can get it here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...2hrZUkwQzkyQWc
Thank you for this, but I already have the service manual and I am not skilled enough to make good use out of it!

Old 02-24-2017   #5
farlymac
PF McFarland

Well, lets just take this through the steps.

Symptoms:
1) Non-release of second shutter curtain
2) Delay timer does not trip shutter
3) Second curtain will release on setting Wind/Rewind collar to R

1 and 2 could be related, but not necessarily so. 3 is normal operation, as it will trip the shutter when set (why you should cap the lens before setting the collar), so at least we know the second curtain is not stuck. The main thing is to determine which lever releases the second curtain, and find out why it is not operating as it should during an exposure.

The fact it does not run at the end of the exposure on any speed setting, but will release when the wind/rewind is set is an indication the trouble lies with the cam on the timer that trips the second curtain release. Locate that, and the second curtain release lever, then watch the operation using a slow shutter speed setting (like one second) until you can determine if it is out of alignment, or something else is blocking the second curtain release lever. Could be the camera was dropped at some point, and the lever was jarred slightly out of position.

Don't know what to tell you on the delay timer issue, except that maybe the release shaft has gotten bent, and will therefore not strike the shutter release. If it doesn't make a clunk noise towards the end of its run when the shutter is not wound, then the shaft is stuck.

Hope you get it up and running soon.

PF

Old 02-24-2017   #6
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Well, lets just take this through the steps.

Symptoms:
1) Non-release of second shutter curtain
2) Delay timer does not trip shutter
3) Second curtain will release on setting Wind/Rewind collar to R

1 and 2 could be related, but not necessarily so. 3 is normal operation, as it will trip the shutter when set (why you should cap the lens before setting the collar), so at least we know the second curtain is not stuck. The main thing is to determine which lever releases the second curtain, and find out why it is not operating as it should during an exposure.

The fact it does not run at the end of the exposure on any speed setting, but will release when the wind/rewind is set is an indication the trouble lies with the cam on the timer that trips the second curtain release. Locate that, and the second curtain release lever, then watch the operation using a slow shutter speed setting (like one second) until you can determine if it is out of alignment, or something else is blocking the second curtain release lever. Could be the camera was dropped at some point, and the lever was jarred slightly out of position.

Don't know what to tell you on the delay timer issue, except that maybe the release shaft has gotten bent, and will therefore not strike the shutter release. If it doesn't make a clunk noise towards the end of its run when the shutter is not wound, then the shaft is stuck.

Hope you get it up and running soon.

PF
Phil, I always get so excited whenever I see a response from you to one of my posts!

I had already seen your Flickr set where you did some work on a Nikon F, but it didnt seem to help my particular problem.

You could be onto something with the self timer not tripping the shutter being related. I did observe the motion of the self timer last night, and using your image below, I do see the self timer start to push up on the long flat piece of metal that releases the shutter, but it just doesnt push too much. I wonder if that same screw that came loose on yours is misaligned on mine.

Tonight when I get home, I will try backing that same screw off that you had to replace, and then reseating it with some anti-sieze to see if I can restore proper operation to the self timer, and if so, perhaps that will resolve the other issue too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/769958...7632970674493/

Thank you again for the great response! You have helped me many times in the past, and I greatly appreciate it!

-Mike

Old 02-25-2017   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

Always willing to help when I can, Mike.