Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Cameras in the Movies / TV / Media

Cameras in the Movies / TV / Media If you are a photographer, it's difficult not to appreciate movies too. In this forum you can discuss movies, as well as the cameras used in them. What camera used in what film / TV show etc has long been a topic of discussion at RFF. Whether the Exakta and 400mm Kilfitt lens in Hitchcock's Rear Window or the Nikons in Eastwood's Bridges of Madison County, cameras are tools which reflect the time and technology of the film.

Spotted a Leica M-D in Jan 26th's episode of VICE News Tonight
Old 01-26-2017   #1
helvetica

Spotted a Leica M-D in Jan 26th's episode of VICE News Tonight

I don't know about you guys, but I habitually try to identify the cameras being used by journalists when watching the news. This time I was quite delighted and surprised to not only see a Leica, but the M-D version at that!

PS: forgive my dual post from Reddit, it is a very handy place to upload and share images from!

Old 01-27-2017   #2
Doug

Pretty cool! It is distinctive...

Old 01-28-2017   #3
helvetica

It's kind of wild to think of front line journalists still using Leica M bodies - but a digital M without a screen for reportage just seems - brave? Heh.

Old 01-28-2017   #4
FrozenInTime

At the instant that photo was taken the M-D owner was secretly thinking 'I wish I had live view and a tilt screen LCD'
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Just saying . .
Old 01-28-2017   #5
easyrider
Photo addict

Just saying . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica View Post
It's kind of wild to think of front line journalists still using Leica M bodies - but a digital M without a screen for reportage just seems - brave? Heh.
"without a screen for reportage" -- really? Generations of war and action photogs took terrific pix without staring at a screen. You actually had to develop the film to se what you captured. Just saying . . .

Old 01-29-2017   #6
BLKRCAT
99% Film

The abandoned spaces series with rick mcrank had him carrying his m6 around and shooting it in almost every episode. Maybe you missed that one but it's a little more Leica action that's not a fleeting moment on screen haha

Old 01-29-2017   #7
helvetica

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
"without a screen for reportage" -- really? Generations of war and action photogs took terrific pix without staring at a screen. You actually had to develop the film to se what you captured. Just saying . . .
Once upon a time, absolutely. I'm blessed to have the Magnum archive in my town and have seen some fantastic journalism done on Leica's of the film era - but Journalism today is different. [note: seems different, I am only an armchair journalist]

I've read plenty of stories from journalists across the spectrum - sports, local news, and conflict journalists - that recount uploading the images to their editors immediately after shooting. Sometimes having their images live on their newspaper's webpage before they even make it back to the hotel room. Lynsey Addario had an story about uploading photos from under an armored vehicle via a sat-phone during a gun battle.

In that context, I found the M-D surprising. At minimum, the photographer would need to break out a laptop, download the DNG raw files before they even saw if the pictures were correct, then cull through, export and upload the selected ones; as opposed to the 1D/D4 style cameras that are uploading the ones selected by reviewing in camera to FTP directly.

To each their own, however, and I applaud that particular photojournalist and it brought me a smile!

Old 01-29-2017   #8
Doug

Wait... is the M-D 262 output even acceptable to editors in these days of JPEG-only reportage? The camera cannot output JPEG files...

Old 01-30-2017   #9
ale_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
The abandoned spaces series with rick mcrank had him carrying his m6 around and shooting it in almost every episode. Maybe you missed that one but it's a little more Leica action that's not a fleeting moment on screen haha
Well, thank you for introducing me to this series, it's really interesting and his Leica is so.. black