Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

CBS Sunday Morning
Old 01-22-2017   #1
airfrogusmc

CBS Sunday Morning

Did anyone else see the feature on Abelardo Morell's work entitled Camera Obscura on CBS Sunday Morning? I saw the exhibit and the lecture when it was here in Chicago at the Art Institute a few years back and it was wonderful. Talk about alternative gear ha ha... If you get a chance to see the piece it is wonderful. Heres a bit of background on the work
http://www.abelardomorell.net/project/camera-obscura/

Old 01-22-2017   #2
mabelsound

Terrific. I got pre-annoyed by the title, as it's used so often to refer to things that aren't a camera obscura. But damned if he isn't actually using one!

Old 01-22-2017   #3
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Terrific. I got pre-annoyed by the title, as it's used so often to refer to things that aren't a camera obscura. But damned if he isn't actually using one!
Yeah pretty cool. Early on he was using film and a view camera to record the image and his exposures were sometimes hours long. He is inside the camera like some artists/painters were tracing and then painting the upside-down image.

Old 01-22-2017   #4
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Did anyone else see the feature on Abelardo Morell's work entitled Camera Obscura on CBS Sunday Morning? I saw the exhibit and the lecture when it was here in Chicago at the Art Institute a few years back and it was wonderful. Talk about alternative gear ha ha... If you get a chance to see the piece it is wonderful. Heres a bit of background on the work
http://www.abelardomorell.net/project/camera-obscura/
loved it! thanx for the heads up

Old 01-22-2017   #5
kshapero
My view

Love the creativity,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-24-2017   #6
IK13

Saw it at the Getty a while back. Wonderful stuff.

Old 01-24-2017   #7
benlees

I just saw an old BBC program with David Hockney discussing the influence of the camera obscura on painting in the 1400's, both in Italy and the north. Very interesting.

Old 01-24-2017   #8
airfrogusmc

Heres the sunday morning piece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRiBSEfCFQ