The M-E LCD is hilarious
Old 05-21-2016   #1
NaChase

The M-E LCD is hilarious

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just rented an M-E for a few days and I laughed when I looked at my photos on the LCD. It's like trying to watch a Blu Ray movie on a 1950's black and white TV. Oh man, how far we've come since 2009.

RF Cameras: Leica M3DS, Leica M6, Nikon S2, Minolta Hi-Matic 7, Mamiya 7II, Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic
RF Lenses:
75 Summilux, 5cm Summicron, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm Nikon Millennium f/1.4, Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon, Mamiya 80mm f/4, Mamiya 150mm f/4.5

http:[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 05-21-2016   #2
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaChase View Post
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just rented an M-E for a few days and I laughed when I looked at my photos on the LCD. It's like trying to watch a Blu Ray movie on a 1950's black and white TV. Oh man, how far we've come since 2009.
The me was announced in 2012!
The lcd screens are pretty poor better to just use the histogram or look at the back of the camera at arms length!

Old 05-21-2016   #3
NaChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
The me was announced in 2012!
The lcd screens are pretty poor better to just use the histogram or look at the back of the camera at arms length!
Sure, but it's the same LCD as the 2009 M9

RF Cameras: Leica M3DS, Leica M6, Nikon S2, Minolta Hi-Matic 7, Mamiya 7II, Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic
RF Lenses:
75 Summilux, 5cm Summicron, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm Nikon Millennium f/1.4, Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon, Mamiya 80mm f/4, Mamiya 150mm f/4.5

Old 05-21-2016   #4
jarski

its same LCD from M8, ten years ago. and not that great even back then. but for me camera LCD is one of least important features there is. sure its needed to change some main settings like ISO, but thats it.

Old 05-21-2016   #5
Roel

But how did you like the pictures?

Old 05-21-2016   #6
FrozenInTime

As bad as it is, I've sent hours watching movies on the back of aircraft seats that are far worse.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 05-21-2016   #7
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel View Post
But how did you like the pictures?
Exactly. Even my phone has a better screen, but so what? The Leica M-E takes glorious pics, the phone does not. And I also prefer the results from the M-E than those of a whole bunch of digital cameras that have much better screens...

Old 05-21-2016   #8
Ruffmeister

I didn't realise the M9/M-E had the same screen as the M8.

The M8 screen is pretty bad. I have mine set to off all the time. It's ok for a quick glance but that's about it. I try not to chimp a lot.
I'm not hooked up on it. I love the files from it. Similar story with my "old" Canon 5D Classic.

Old 05-21-2016   #9
Duane Pandorf

Seems my M-E is still working just fine. I've had it for 3.5 years and am still enjoying it. Just started a 10 road trip around Iceland. The M-E with ancient LCD is all I need!

https://instagram.com/p/BFrwkZyEqnD/

Old 05-21-2016   #10
Ruffmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Pandorf View Post
Seems my M-E is still working just fine. I've had it for 3.5 years and am still enjoying it. Just started a 10 road trip around Iceland. The M-E with ancient LCD is all I need!

https://instagram.com/p/BFrwkZyEqnD/
Very jealous. Went to Iceland last year for a few days and it's such a magical place. Considering a return this year. Have fun!

Old 05-21-2016   #11
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffmeister View Post
I didn't realise the M9/M-E had the same screen as the M8.
It does not.

The M8's screen is notorious for failure - the 'coffee stain' issue etc - and Leica no longer supports that screen. They no longer make it.
The M9/M-E's screen is/was still being made. If they were the same as the M8, Leica would just use the ones from the M9 to replace the defective M8 screens. I have not heard of the M9's screen failing.

Old 05-21-2016   #12
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaChase View Post
Maybe next time rent a Leica M-D and you won't have to worry about the screen at all

Old 05-21-2016   #13
Ruffmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
It does not.

The M8's screen is notorious for failure - the 'coffee stain' issue etc - and Leica no longer supports that screen. They no longer make it.
The M9/M-E's screen is/was still being made. If they were the same as the M8, Leica would just use the ones from the M9 to replace the defective M8 screens. I have not heard of the M9's screen failing.
That makes sense. I thought it was somewhat strange. Was just going by the earlier comment of them using the same screens.

Old 05-21-2016   #14
NaChase

Haha. It's a hell of a camera. And the pictures are something else. My M3/M6 don't have screens either and somehow I've managed to use those little guys for the past few years.

RF Lenses:

Old 05-21-2016   #15
tom.w.bn

Quote:
It does not.

Both are 2.5", 230.000 dots. That is pretty much "the same" for me. Maybe they have some different contacts but that doesn't matter for this discussed topic.

Old 05-21-2016   #16
Richard G

After a little while you get used to it. It's hopeless for checking critical focus with the focus-shifting C Sonnar, or anything long like a 90 or 135, or for checking motion blur at slower shutter speeds but I mostly use 50 or wider and mostly f2.8 lenses or slower and mostly at f5.6. Only the other night copying slides with the BEOON did I rediscover the deficiency of the M9 LCD again.

Old 05-22-2016   #17
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
Both are 2.5", 230.000 dots. That is pretty much "the same" for me.
yes thats what I meant with earlier comment of M8 & 9 & E sharing basically a same screen (ref. op's amazement how archaic it is).

Old 05-23-2016   #18
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
It does not.

Well actually failures of the M8 screen are extremely rare - coffee stain is only cosmetic and often disappears over time. Basically the M8 and M9 screens are the same. The supply problem was associated with a switch in manufacturer.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-23-2016   #19
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Anyway, Leica is/was well aware of the lower quality of these screens. The problem is that there is no suitable higher resolving screen in this size on the market, at least, there was not when the camera was designed. Leica is too small to order a screen to be designed at a reasonable price.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-23-2016   #20
icebear

I don't think that the screen on the back of the camera contributes much to the image quality, does it?
Other than checking histogram and framing in critical situations, what do you need to check on the screen? You check critical focus on a monitor at home.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 05-23-2016   #21
Gregm61

Reviewing highlight and shadow clipping. That's my primary use of my M9-P's back screen. Moving over the from an Olympus E-M1, the screen is quite a downgrade. I've seen worse, and the M262 screen is but one of many upgrades, but I use the two Leica bodies at the same time to cut down on lens changes and love the results from both.

Old 05-23-2016   #22
Nowhereman
-

Only necessary for highlight clipping, as shadows can be lifted quite a few stops — but once highlights are clipped they're basically gone.

Old 05-23-2016   #23
David_Manning

Just pretend you rented an upgraded M-D that offers just a "peek." In fact, Leica could probably re-brand that idea and charge for it. The new Leica M-Dp...for those of us who just want to know we recorded an image :P

Old 05-23-2016   #24
35photo

Honestly could care less about the screen on any camera really, For checking the histogram for highlight clipping as mentioned and changing a setting that's all I care about the screen.. For those things the M9's screen is more than good enough... If you know how to meter with the M9 and bracket in extreme lighting conditions its all good..

Old 05-23-2016   #25
mlu19

I had the same initial reaction when I first got my digital Leica in 2013. It is good enough for telling me how much battery I have left. Who checks highlight/shadow clipping anyways. Real photographers don't chimp!

Old 05-23-2016   #26
Emile de Leon

I chimp all the time...there..I said it!

Old 05-31-2016   #27
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Anyway, given that the camera was essentially designed in 2005 the display is pretty good...

jaapvphotography

Old 05-31-2016   #28
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
I don't think that the screen on the back of the camera contributes much to the image quality, does it?
Other than checking histogram and framing in critical situations, what do you need to check on the screen? You check critical focus on a monitor at home.
Dear Klaus,

Then again, I'm not sure that the OP knows the meaning of the word "hilarious".

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-31-2016   #29
jsrockit

Wow, a lot of hurt feelings in this thread ...

Old 11-12-2016   #30
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

To be honest I like small screens and really see no use of big ones. M-E wheel allows to zoom, BTW. But all I need with M-E or any other digital camera is press play and look at it for one second. Sorry to put it this way, but after taken of 150K+ pictures digitally I'm not as challenged as OP to check it.

Old 11-12-2016   #31
conyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Well actually failures of te M8 screen are extremely rare - coffee stain is only cosmetic and often disappears over time. Basically the M8 and M9 screens are the same. The supply problem was associated with a switch in manufacturer.
"Well actually failures of te M8 screen are extremely rare -" My thoughts too. I don't think I've seen a thread talking about a complete screen failure....

Old 11-14-2016   #32
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

There have been one or two crashed ones.

jaapvphotography