Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Best Noctilux 50/.95 vs Noctilux 50/1 vs Voigtlander 50/1.1 Comparision I've Seen
Old 02-13-2011   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Best Noctilux 50/.95 vs Noctilux 50/1 vs Voigtlander 50/1.1 Comparision I've Seen

a lot of people have opinions about the Leica 50/1 Noctilux, 50/.95 Noctilux, and Voigtlander 50/1.1 Nocton.

No one else that I've seen offers such complete comparisons as Jeff Hapeman. All shots done on M9.

see
http://www.digitalhapeman.com/2011/0...-the-leica-m9/

Images are compared from all 3 lenses
images side by side
from wide open to f/16,
from 1) upper right 2) center 3) lower center left

so for the 3 lenses, you have 9 comparison shots for each f/stop

On top of that, the mosaic like pattern of comparison images
are reproduced in SEVEN sizes
which are linked just above the mosaic
from square (75x75)
to original (5487 x 5391)

Jeff made his own conclusions, but you have enough data and samples there to make your own.

Stephen

Old 02-13-2011   #2
Brian Sweeney

I'm very impressed with the 50/1.1 Nokton. This lens is a bargain at the asking price, and I do not see why anyone would convert the Canon 50/0.95 to M-Mount with this lens available. I own two of the Canon 50/0.95's.

A friend of mine has the 50/1 and the 50/0.95 Noctilux. When he visits next, we can do out own 3-way comparison.

Old 02-13-2011   #3
berlincontemporary
-

Um... only crops?

Old 02-13-2011   #4
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

That .95 is some lens ... but for the price it would want to be!

The Nokton appears to be very good up against the f1.0 Noctilux ... the focus shift on both of those compared to the .95 is eye popping though.

Old 02-13-2011   #5
Brian Sweeney

The focus shift on my Nokton is about the same as the original 5cm F1.5 Sonnar. I've fairly used to the shift from F1.5 to F4. With an RF, you can compensate by not letting the images coincide in the VF, focus a little in front of the intended point of focus.

Old 02-13-2011   #6
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Yes ... I've learned to do this with my ZM Sonnar. It did my head in for a while until I got used to it!

Old 02-13-2011   #7
35mmdelux
Fight On!

Appears as if the Nokton holds its own against the cadillac of Leicas.

Old 02-13-2011   #8
Brian Sweeney

A $10,000 lens is not practical for most people, even if it is the best. Cosina will deliver the best price/performance ratio rather than the "absolute best". It's all relative.

Old 02-13-2011   #9
Alnitak

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlincontemporary View Post
Um... only crops?
Full-sized images are now up in this set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhapema...7622580527317/

Along with some sample images taken at other times with a different copy of the Nokton (also excellent; the QC on this lens seems to be better than on some other Voigtländer lenses), the Noctilux f/0.95 and both an M8.2 and the M9.

Jeff

Old 02-16-2011   #10
berlincontemporary
-

Interesting. They look all quite similar to me on digital.

Old 02-16-2011   #11
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney View Post
I'm very impressed with the 50/1.1 Nokton. This lens is a bargain at the asking price, and I do not see why anyone would convert the Canon 50/0.95 to M-Mount with this lens available. I own two of the Canon 50/0.95's.
Well, the Canon 0.95 will always have that "wow!" factor, just because it is a 0.95 lens. Sort of like Nigel's guitar in "Spinal Tap" that went up to 11.

I think the 1.1 Nokton will have more of an impact on the Canon 50/1.2. They're virtually the same speed with the Nokton being a much more modern lens and, I'm guessing, much better.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 02-16-2011   #12
awilder

I found the test interesting but when I owned the 50/1 Noct. and tested it extensively with film, the results were quite a bit different near the edge of the frame where the edge definition was rather soft as expected at the larger opennings. The results were consistent with test reports from E. Puts and camera publications that tested the lens at the time it was introduced. I suppose the digital sensor being optically flat makes a huge difference in this respect and consequently, if shooting primarily digital, the 50/1 might be a better value than the 50/0.95 if insisting on Leitz glass.

Old 02-16-2011   #13
ampguy

Since the reviewer shows the focus shift going on, but based on an initial accurate focus setting wide open, I wonder what the centers and edges would look like if the index for initial accurate focus were set for f2 or f2.8.

For static tripod shots, focus bracketing may dial out the shift, where the Nokton, and Noct F1 might look even closer to the 0.95 in the area of focus and contrast.

With RF focusing, the 0.95 shines here, but with focus bracketing and/or live view, the Nokton and F1 could get very close, I think.

Old 02-16-2011   #14
Vickko

hmmm. I think you just saved me $10K.

Old 04-11-2011   #15
Superdan138

Some Nocti shots...

Old 04-11-2011   #16
mfogiel

I think the main strong point of the old Noctilux, is not the sharpness but the bokeh, and on this count to my eyes it is much more pictorially interesting than the bokeh of Nokton. Therefore, I think that the duel should be betwen two "normal bokeh" lenses i.e. the Nokton and the new Noctilux 0.95, the old Noctilux will remain in a class of its own.

Old 04-11-2011   #17
Harry S.

Wow, the current noctilux really is amazing. I think the Nokton keeps up really well, however the thing that bothers me the most about it is how it renders a little too much on the cool side for my liking.

Old 04-12-2011   #18
efirmage

Bokeh is the most disappointing thing for me on the Voigtlander. Sharpness is really pretty good. Rendering is flatter, but not 10 times flatter. Rather just have a 1.4 lens that looks great wide open.

Old 04-12-2011   #19
sanmich

Price wize, the Hex 1.2 should be presented as an option too..
I wonder how it compares to the Nokt 1.1.

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 04-12-2011   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The .95 is clearly the best. no doubt !.
Don't compromise quality for cost.
Old German saying "I can only afford to buy the best".
Why would you want to buy 2nd best knowing there is better ?.
For my money I would want the best.
Well, $10000 vs. $1000 ... I'll take second (or third) best. It is only a lens. Great photos have have been made with worse equipment.

Old 04-13-2011   #21
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

I still love my Canon f1.2/50 for speed and low light work, it does a great job and draws a far nicer more pleasing/creamy bokeh compared to the f1.1/50 Nokton, which is too flat and technical looking...........just not pleasing.

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses with a Leica M8 Digital
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/118

Old 04-13-2011   #22
jsrockit

I keep avoiding the 1.1 somehow. I've always wanted it, but then opt for more practical lenses.

Old 04-13-2011   #23
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
Tom, I would have to agree. One of the things that kept me from getting the 1,1/50 Nokton for so long was the bokeh. A Noctilux it sure ain't in that regard. Once I got the lens though, I noticed that it's a hit-or-miss affair. Sometimes the bokeh is weird, other times it's decent (mostly the latter). A bit of an odd lens. If only it shared the 1,2/35 Nokton's magic in this regard...
Yeah, the Canon may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is pretty much idiot proof with the Bokeh - point and shoot wide open and it's very pleasing almost always.......

The Nokton f1.2/35 draws like a vintage lens, it`s downfall is it's weight, I considered one of those too, untill I found a Canon f1.5/35 and found that it is by far the BEST vintage pre 1970 era wide angle ever! Super compact and draws nice everytime, even stopped down it still is looking GREAT!

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses with a Leica M8 Digital
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/118

Old 04-13-2011   #24
ray*j*gun

I recently bought a Canon 1.2 50 and its become one of my favorites as well. Lord knows I need an idiot proof lens anytime I can get one.

Old 05-09-2011   #25
glycine

I personally feel that this test may not represent all Noctilux 50/1. At least I do not see a focus shift of my 50/1. The center is much sharper than the results shown in the test above.

Old 05-12-2011   #26
rsosa

nokton=nocti for the masses and get the m9 and a summicron with the savings

Old 06-09-2011   #27
mardag

Some 0.95 shots wide open:

http://dagnellfoto.se/lang/en/2011/0...grafstockholm/

Cheers

Old 11-11-2011   #28
Messsucherkamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by glycine View Post
I personally feel that this test may not represent all Noctilux 50/1. At least I do not see a focus shift of my 50/1. The center is much sharper than the results shown in the test above.
Agreed. Even though all the f/1.0 Noctiluxes are allegedly the same, there seems to be a bit of variation from lens to lens, even thoug that doesn't seem to add up.

I am quite pleased with my late late f/1.0 Noctilux; I am very happy with the bokeh and the color palette it produces. Yes, it produces exposure vignetting but that disappears almost totally by f/4 1/2 and is nonexsistent at f/5.6. Regarding sharpness, at f/1.0 the depth of field is quite thin but the in focus components of the composition nearly leap off the print and grab you by the eyeballs - they are very sharp.

Apparently the folks at Midland "got a good scald" on my particular Noctilux. I feel very fortunate in that regard.

Old 11-12-2011   #29
Shade

The nokton is no slouch, having used it before, i highly admire it. However the rendering imho is completely different than the noct and somehow its just not the same in the bokeh dept..

Lesson learned
Old 11-12-2011   #30
Messsucherkamera

Lesson learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
The nokton is no slouch, having used it before, i highly admire it. However the rendering imho is completely different than the noct and somehow its just not the same in the bokeh dept..
I can't vouch for the 50/1.1 Nokton but I did have a 35/1.2 Nokton (original version). I liked the results it produced but ended up selling it because I also had a Summicron 28mm that I used alot more than the Nokton. Been kicking myself ever since.

Fortunately, Voigtlander has released the 35/1.2 Nokton in a new & improved version which I hope to acquire one day sooner than later. Of course, the new version is over twice what I paid for the one I had.

I learned my lesson - if a lens fits my M cameras, I won't ever get rid of it, even if it's redundant or I don't use it much. One day I will want/need it for a project.

Old 11-12-2011   #31
Shade

I feel you messu.

And yes I have heard wonders of the second version of VC 35/1.2.. But unfortunately there are none available yet where I live. and I am more of a try before you buy person, reviews are always reviews based on someone's opinion no matter how unbiased it is.

Old 11-12-2011   #32
leicashot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I feel you messu.

And yes I have heard wonders of the second version of VC 35/1.2.. But unfortunately there are none available yet where I live. and I am more of a try before you buy person, reviews are always reviews based on someone's opinion no matter how unbiased it is.
Guys, the VII is not much improved over the V1. It is better and noticeable on very close inspection at f/1.2-1.4 but it's not significant. Otherwise they are identical in every other way.

LEICAHUB on Facebook

Old 04-15-2013   #33
regular

updated URL :
http://www.digitalhapeman.com/2011/0...-the-leica-m9/

Old 04-17-2013   #34
macintoshhhhh

Noctilux f1 bokeh is bigger than Voigtlander 50/1.1 (wide open)

But VM 1.1 price is right

Old 10-12-2013   #35
mrksgrn
on your lawn.

URL is down.

Old 10-08-2016   #36
Dinksta
Slavic Sensation

Anyone have this comparison archived by chance? URL is DOWN

Instagram | Website

"Taking pictures is like tiptoeing into the kitchen late at night and stealing Oreo cookies.”
— Diane Arbus