Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

World's Least Expensive Shutter Tester? $2.99
Old 11-15-2014   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

World's Least Expensive Shutter Tester? $2.99

Please see http://www.photoplug.de/

A new RFF sponsor offering an iphone shutter tester app at $2.99

Seems a bargain to me,
and nice to see that I can finally do something useful with my iphone!

Stephen

Old 11-15-2014   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

That looks useful. Thanks for posting it.

G

Old 11-15-2014   #3
FrankS

How much is the photo plug?

photography makes me happy

Old 11-15-2014   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
How much is the photo plug?
$27 with shipping to the U.S.

G

Old 11-15-2014   #5
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Too bad its iOS only. If they had an android version, I'd get it to use on my Samsung tablet.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Old 11-15-2014   #6
charjohncarter

Great idea, at least for me, but does anyone else care anymore.

Old 11-15-2014   #7
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

I have one, with plug. In which case it is very accurate (it measures light). You can use the app on its own, but then the microphone measures the sound of the shutter opening and closing. Not quite as easy to use, and obviously most applicable to leaf shutters.

I use a lot of old cameras, and leaf shuttered MF and LF lenses. For me it is a life saver. I print out the correct speeds and laminate them, and bring them along when using lens/camera. Leaf shutters can be amazingly erratic. If speeds are off, the tolerances needn't be linear over the whole scale. Two neighbouring stops can differ considerably, one maybe -1/3, the other -1/1 or more. So yes, for me this is a very useful app (preferably with plug)

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 11-15-2014   #8
CamB

I have the photoplug - great (and good value) product.

Old 11-19-2014   #9
echolot

Hello,

I'm the developer of "Shutter-Speed" and the PhotoPlug. Nice to hear that some of you already have the plug in use !

For those who don't have an iOS-device:
I am currently working on an android-version of the app. I haven't worked with android so far, so it will take at least some weeks or months until it will be available for download. However, the first attempts look promising, so I'm looking forward that there will be an android version in the not too distant future

Old 11-19-2014   #10
Timmyjoe

As of this morning the plug was $28.05 shipped to the US. Fluctuation in the dollar/Euro rate.

Hope it works as advertised.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-19-2014   #11
pyeh

Echolot, I hope you will consider porting to Windows Phone as well. Us Windows Phone users really miss out on cool photo apps like yours.

Old 12-08-2014   #12
Timmyjoe

Big thumbs up for Lucas' Shutter Speed app and Photo Transistor. Works really well with the Nikon FM2n, F2, F3HP and Leica M6TTL that I tried it with.

As an old fart who always favored mechanical shutters over electronic shutters, I got a good smack down from the results of my shutter speed tests. The F3HP with its electronic shutter blew the FM2n, F2 and Leica M6TTL (with their all mechanical shutters) out of the water as far as accuracy goes. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
now available

Old 12-08-2014   #13
yossarian123
Sam I Am

Can this be used to test a IIIF? I remember reading that the waveform for a focal plane shutter was harder to measure than a leaf shutter.

Old 12-08-2014   #14
Timmyjoe

All four cameras I tested were focal plane shutters and it worked great for me (with the photo transistor). I think it works much better with the Photo Transistor, compared to how the App works where it just records the shutter sounds.

And if your IIIf is like mine was, this app even has the old shutter speeds, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, etc. Again, I used the photo transistor and shined a bright LED light through the front of the camera and placed the sensor in place of the camera back (which I removed). In the case of your IIIf, you would have to remove the camera body so you could take a light reading from behind the focal plane shutter.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
now available

Old 12-08-2014   #15
Noserider

I have an old book by Crawely of BJP fame on the F3 and he was quite impressed with the consistency of the F3 shutter especially over the already good F2

Old 12-08-2014   #16
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Very interesting. I'll certainly be getting this once the android version comes out.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 12-08-2014   #17
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserider View Post
I have an old book by Crawely of BJP fame on the F3 and he was quite impressed with the consistency of the F3 shutter especially over the already good F2
I hear you. That's certainly what my test showed.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
now available

Old 12-08-2014   #18
crosseyed-cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
All four cameras I tested were focal plane shutters and it worked great for me (with the photo transistor). I think it works much better with the Photo Transistor, compared to how the App works where it just records the shutter sounds.

And if your IIIf is like mine was, this app even has the old shutter speeds, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, etc. Again, I used the photo transistor and shined a bright LED light through the front of the camera and placed the sensor in place of the camera back (which I removed). In the case of your IIIf, you would have to remove the camera body so you could take a light reading from behind the focal plane shutter.

Best,
-Tim
My plan to test my IIIf is to remove the lens and shine a laser through the front so that the reflection off the pressure plate (when the shutter is open) hits the photo-plug.

Might work?

My photo plug is arriving sometime this week, so I'm going to give it a try.

Old 12-08-2014   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I received the photo plug the other day, but haven't had time to test it out. Maybe I'll do that now... ;-)

---
Did it. Works beautifully! thanks!

G

Old 12-08-2014   #20
yossarian123
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseyed-cricket View Post
My plan to test my IIIf is to remove the lens and shine a laser through the front so that the reflection off the pressure plate (when the shutter is open) hits the photo-plug.

Might work?

My photo plug is arriving sometime this week, so I'm going to give it a try.
Please update this thread when you test it out. I don't want to / can't remove the body and I'd like to see if this approach works.

Old 12-08-2014   #21
ColSebastianMoran

I have the gadget and the app.

With the app alone you can measure slow speeds by sound.

With the app and the plug, you can check higher speeds. Works very nicely.

In Classifieds Now: Olympus PEN EE with original leather case
More photos, descriptions of for sale items on this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 12-08-2014   #22
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

I love it. It means you can rely on your equipment and get consistent results, not wasting film and/or time on bracketing for the sake of it. Quickly saves you money

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 12-22-2014   #23
echolot

Thanks for the positive feedback ! It's great to hear that developing the App and Plug was worth the effort.

The android-version of the App is almost finished now, only some minor bug-fixing has to be done. If everything goes well, I can release the app to the PlayStore sometime this week. I also will have to make some adjustments to the PhotoPlug, because android devices have a slightly different audio-input-electronic.

Best,
Lukas

Android version for Shutter-Speed now available !
Old 12-23-2014   #24
echolot

Android version for Shutter-Speed now available !

I'm happy to announce that Shutter-Speed is now available for Download on the Google PlayStore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....shutter_speed

The App offers the same possibilities as the iOS-version and the PhotoPlug is working as well. There is no special "android-PhotoPlug", the plug works with both iOS and android.

However, compared to the iOS-version, there is one big difference: There are thousands of different android devices out there. This can be a problem, because I can't test the app on all of them, especially when it comes to the quality of the audio recording. As every device is different, the quality of the recorded sound may be different as well.
Of course this only applies when you use the App alone, without the PhotoPlug. With the plug, the quality is the same on all devices.

Unfortunately, there are some android-devices, especially older ones, which don't have a microphone-input built in the headphone jack (so called TRRS port). Therefore, if your smartphone isn't the very latest and you want to use the PhotoPlug: Look at the instruction manual of your phone and check, if it can be used with an external headset. If so, you can be sure that your phone has the TRRS-port and can be used with the plug

I would be glad if some of you download the app and give it a try. If there are any errors or bugs, please feel free to contact me so I can find a solution.

Old 05-04-2015   #25
VisualDarkness

I got one too, if only it would work with my main phone a Lumia 920. I got an iPhone 4s for it though.

I'm really struggling with some faster leaf-shutter shutter speeds waveforms (1/200 and up) as it's hard to see what is what.

Old 07-14-2015   #26
eli griggs

I built a similar device that used a photo sensor and free Audacity software, available at sourceforge.net. Audacity is an audible program but the photo sensor plug the sponsor is selling, which is much nicer than the one I made, should work very well, even if you used a plug extension cable with a lap or desk top.

Audacity is very easy to use and you can dial-in the readings/settings as fine as you need them to be.

Old 04-03-2017   #27
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Back when I had a CRT for my computer, I would display an image of stripes and set the refresh rate at 60Hz. It was an oscilloscope after all.
I calibrated a Speed Graphic focal plane shutter this way and got it accurate to 1/6 stop.
With this app for phones, couldn't one just use the built-in camera to capture the light intensity and duration?
Regardless, this is a pretty cool application of the ever more ubiquitous cell phone.

Phil Forrest