Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

“Our autobiography is written in our contact sheets,  and our opinion of the world in our selects”  

"Never ever confuse sharp with good, or you will end up shaving with an ice cream cone and licking a razor blade."  

Bill Pierce is one of the most successful Leica photographers and authors ever. I initially "met" Bill in the wonderful 1973 15th edition Leica Manual (the one with the M5 on the cover). I kept reading and re-reading his four chapters, continually amazed at his knoweldge and ability, thinking "if I only knew a small part of what this guy knows... wow."  I looked foward to his monthly columns in Camera 35 and devoured them like a starving man.  Bill has worked as a photojournalist  for 25 years, keyword: WORK.  Many photogs dream of the professional photographer's  life that Bill has earned and enjoyed.  Probably Bill's most famous pic is Nixon departing the White House for the last time, victory signs still waving. 

Bill  has been published in many major magazines, including  Time, Life, Newsweek, U.S. News, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, New York Magazine, Stern, L'Express and Paris Match.  :His published books include  The Leica Manual,  War Torn, Survivors and Victims in the Late 20th Century, Homeless in America,  Human Rights in China,  Children of War.  Add to that numerous exhibitions at major galleries and museums.  Magazine contributions include  Popular Photography,  Camera 35, Leica Manual,  Photo District News, the Encyclopedia of Brittanica, the Digital Journalist, and now RFF.  Major awards include Leica Medal of Excellence, Overseas Press Club's Oliver Rebbot Award for Best Photojournalism from Abroad,  and the World Press Photo's Budapest Award. Perhaps an ever bigger award is Tom Abrahamsson's comment: "If you want to know Rodinal, ask Bill."

I met Bill in person through our mutual friend Tom Abrahamsson.  In person his insight and comments are every bit as interesting and engaging as his writing.  He is a great guy who really KNOWS photography.  I am happy to say he has generously agreed to host this forum at RFF  From time to time Bill will bring up topics, but you are also invited to ask questions.  Sit down and enjoy the ride!

Old 09-21-2010   #76
Pavel+

No .... I don't think the M10 will innovate as much. Well, outside the new Ostrich leather option for $1700 (high quality Ostrich is rare you see) that they may provide.

Old 09-21-2010   #77
Bill Pierce

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...ess-conference

Old 09-21-2010   #78
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdenebro View Post
Then the R-D1 is a lot better as a photographic tool... (To me...)

This looks like the u4/3 hype, but paying more, and with a fix lens...

Cheers,

Juan
Take a look at the illustration looking through the viewfinder. It looks like there is a full distance scale in there, so you should be able to scale focus without much trouble.

Old 09-24-2010   #79
Miserere
Find Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
  • FUJI sensor (remember the S3 Pro and the S5 Pro's dynamic range!?)
I doubt it's a Fuji sensor. They've said themselves it was custom made and nowhere in their literature about the camera do they say they built the sensor. Plus, if Fuji had updated their Super CCD to a 12.3MP design we'd have heard about it. Further, the sensor in the Fuji is a CMOS.

It's very likely a Sony sensor, as they are the only ones that I know of manufacturing 12.3MP CMOS sensors at the moment. This isn't a bad thing, as this sensor has been shown to be excellent.

My website on Photography: Enticing the Light

Miserere on Flickr

Old 09-24-2010   #80
Miserere
Find Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Take a look at the illustration looking through the viewfinder. It looks like there is a full distance scale in there, so you should be able to scale focus without much trouble.
I provide an image and some commentary about the viewfinder here. This could be even more useful than a distance scale on the lens.

My website on Photography: Enticing the Light

Miserere on Flickr

Old 09-24-2010   #81
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Of COURSE it'll happen! People were saying the same thing before Cosina built the Bess R series, and now look what's happened in the digital domain over just the past 5 years!! When the cost of big chips comes down... and they will (or they'll be replaced with another sensor technology waiting in the wings), someone like Cosina will put it together. And if you don't believe that, wait until the X100 is out for a few months and the demand outstrips production. These guys at Fuji (and then everyone else) is going to see the niche that hasn't been filled in a LONG time. :-)

Ricoh GR; Nikon 1 V3; D600; Speed Graphic; Polaroid 250

Thank god its not the M10!
Old 09-24-2010   #82
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Thank god its not the M10!

Check this out ($1000):
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/21/f...0-we-go-hands/

This is going to be like the Canonets and the little Oly fixed lens cameras were to the Nikon and Canon slrs of their day.

And there will more innovations in this direction (compact, high image quality, reasonable price, built-in viewfinders, etc.). And the cost will just continue to come down. The trends in digital technology development are all pointing in that direction and I don't see anything our there on the horizon that can stop this. Let's hear it for market competition (of which I'm not always a fan).

Fuji has 12MP
Old 09-24-2010   #83
ampguy

Fuji has 12MP

Our F50, and F70s both have them, but they are tiny, 1/1.6" and 1/2.5" but they are 12MP and SuperCCDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
[/list]I doubt it's a Fuji sensor. They've said themselves it was custom made and nowhere in their literature about the camera do they say they built the sensor. Plus, if Fuji had updated their Super CCD to a 12.3MP design we'd have heard about it. Further, the sensor in the Fuji is a CMOS.

It's very likely a Sony sensor, as they are the only ones that I know of manufacturing 12.3MP CMOS sensors at the moment. This isn't a bad thing, as this sensor has been shown to be excellent.

Old 09-24-2010   #84
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Only M10 I've seen lately is made by Smith & Wesson...

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 09-24-2010   #85
24mgdriver
Michael A. Bender

Fuji said at photokina cologne "it will be cost around 1000.- Euro " and will be availible at spring next year

Camera : RD-1s / Rollei 35 /
Lens : Ultron 28 f1.9 / Heliar classic limited 50 f2
Zeiss ZM Biogon 35mm f2

Old 09-24-2010   #86
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

D**m! Oh well. Maybe next year.

Old 09-24-2010   #87
MRohlfing

I will wait for the X200, it will accept M lenses.

For now, I have my Olympus 35 RC

Old 03-13-2011   #88
viv
Viv

Not the M10.

It's the X1 as it should have been, in terms of handling, image quality and price.

Old 03-13-2011   #89
vincentbenoit
télémétrique argentique

Yes, the Fuji X100 is the M10.

And I'm Sebastiao Salgado.

Last edited by vincentbenoit : 03-13-2011 at 11:57.

Old 03-13-2011   #90
gb hill

From the samples I've seen it's not even the Leica X1. And definitely not worth the $1200.00 price tag for a P&S.
CanonetChronicles

Old 03-13-2011   #91
GSNfan
-

Would the announcement of M10 create the same buzz?

Old 03-13-2011   #92
Ronny

No No No No!

1959 Canon P Chrome
1958 Leica M3 Chrome
1964 Leica M2 Chrome
1963 Nikon F Black 64x
1972 Nikon F Black

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronnypersson/

Old 03-13-2011   #93
willie_901

Who would even ask such a question.

Not even God, Supreme Being and Creator of the Universe could produce a camera better than any Leica in existence. Every camera created to date is inferior to any Leica ever made and it is impossible for any camera (or lens for that matter) to approach the pure perfection that is Leica.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 03-13-2011   #94
skibeerr
Home and away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Question:

Why this question anyway? I think it is a dead horse that keeps getting flogged.

Please look at the date of the OP.

Old 03-13-2011   #95
bigeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
Would the announcement of M10 create the same buzz?
If it was $1200.

People ignore what they can't afford. An Aston Martin is a far better car than anything I'm familiar with and there isn't to much public awareness about a new one. It's still a better car, though, even though I can't consider it.

I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it. - Steven Wright

Old 03-13-2011   #96
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Basically a digital Hexar AF.
This is what came to mind when I saw the info on the X100.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 03-13-2011   #97
jto555

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Who would even ask such a question.

Not even God, Supreme Being and Creator of the Universe could produce a camera better than any Leica in existence. Every camera created to date is inferior to any Leica ever made and it is impossible for any camera (or lens for that matter) to approach the pure perfection that is Leica.
Your not a fan then?

Old 03-16-2011   #98
berlincontemporary
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
Will the Fujifilm x100 with a lens matched to the sensor and the ability to switch between optical and electronic finder replace the Leica M9 with serious "RF" photographers?
LOL... Sure. Anyone wanting to trade their M9 for an X100 please drop me a message.

Old 03-16-2011   #99
berlincontemporary
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
I have an X100 on order....

I have a few jobs a year in which I shoot very high profile notables at or near the level of the U.S. President that would benefit highly from a near silent / small camera like the X100, not that I would use it without a proper backup.
Make sure to also check out the Ricoh GXR which comes in two comparable "flavors" (either 50/2.5 or 28/2.5 equivalent) and is definitely "near silent" and "small".

Old 03-16-2011   #100
Frontman

I took a look at the X100 at Yodobashi, and it's a wonderful camera. I examined prints and monitor images, and I was impressed. The price at Yodobashi is 100,000 yen, or $1,180 at the current exchange rate, a veritable bargain.

As my girlfriend has commandeered my Lumix LX5 p&s camera, I will go ahead and get the X100.