Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

japan camera hunter
Old 11-06-2011   #1
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

japan camera hunter

i see we have a new banner sitting on the left side of the page!!

interesting site...

x-e1/23/56/16-50

http://crated.com/backalleyimages

Old 11-06-2011   #2
ricnak

I can highly recommend them. I recently found something in Japan that I wanted but could not get access to. Sent an enquiry to Japancamerahunter and Bellamy did all the work. Got the bits and pieces that I wanted.

Thanks Bellamy - great service

New RFF Sponsor Japan Camera Hunter
Old 11-06-2011   #3
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

New RFF Sponsor Japan Camera Hunter

I am happy to announce a new RFF Sponsor, Japan Camera Hunter
see http://www.japancamerahunter.com/

I find Bellamy's approach very interesting. For decades Japan buyers have bought in the US and shipped classic cameras back to Japan.

But times have changed. Now it can make sense to ship those same classic cameras from Japan back to the US and the rest of the world.

I think he can help RFF members acquire a lot of hard to find and esoteric cameras.

Welcome Aboard Bellamy - aka Japan Camera Hunter!

Stephen

Old 11-07-2011   #4
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

The classic camera store, complete with often dozens or hundreds of used cameras and lenses, has all but died in the US. Only one such store comes to mind in the LA area, Paul's Photo in Torrance. All replaced by Ebay, internet sales, and of course foreign dealers now plentiful in formerly US owned cameras.

If you have never been to Tokyo, its difficult to imagine just how many used camera stores there are, filled to the brim with classic cameras.

Bellamy, it would probably be a good idea to posts lots of pics of different used classic camera store's inventory. People just don't have a clue of what is available.

Stephen

Old 11-08-2011   #5
Pikapig
Loving Analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by japancamerahunter View Post
Thanks guys. That is true, Japan bought all of the cameras back in the 70's and 80's, there are actually more Leica cameras in Japan than in Germany! Or so I have heard. But now the times are a changin'. As the Japanese camera buyers have aged, so has their desire to keep these objects, and now I have the chance to get some of them. I cannot get everything....there are some things out of my reach, but I can certainly try.
Okay this line makes me feel a little sad...."As the Japanese camera buyers have aged, so has their desire to keep these objects," its a reality isnt it? One day, it might be us...

Back to the topic, say if there is a lens that i want, will camera hunter help to source for it in japan? Will there be a cost to finding it in the event if it cannot be found?

Old 11-08-2011   #6
HHPhoto

First of all, welcome Bellamy! Nice to have you here.
I regularly visit your site.

Quote:
Thanks guys. That is true, Japan bought all of the cameras back in the 70's and 80's, there are actually more Leica cameras in Japan than in Germany! Or so I have heard.
Well that is indeed most probably right. At least Leica has often said that Japan is their most important market for the M rangefinder cameras.
Most of the new M Leicas have been sold to Japan. Maybe now to China, I don't know.

But nevertheless the used market in Germany is still viable. No problem here to get used classic cameras of all kinds at reasonable prices.
But what we are seeing here as well is an upswing in prices for certain gear caused by increasing demand from Asia, especially from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore.
If you sell such gear via eb..., lots of bidders are from these asian countries.

Cheers, Jan

Old 11-08-2011   #7
HHPhoto

Quote:
What I can so is post pictures of the different stores, and some of the inventory that they have, but it would be an impossible task to do them all of them......I think I shall start posing as many as I can.
Thanks
Bellamy
That would be nice!

Cheers, Jan

Welcome... Used Camera Browsing
Old 11-08-2011   #8
ColSebastianMoran

Welcome... Used Camera Browsing

Welcome, Belamy. On a recent trip to Tokyo, I was guided on a tour of Tokyo used camera dealers. It's amazing to see the number of stores, the range of quality, the range of inventory, and a huge inventory of very interesting cameras. Fujiya, in Nakano, was really an eye-opener.

I wish you good shopping.

One question: What's your technical capability? To what extent can you evaluate the operating condition of items? Testing and checking things out? Do you do any repairs, tune-up, etc.?

SLR, dSLR, and compact RF's. Black Yashica RFs; Nikon & Contax/Yashica SLRs; Nikon digital.
Where did all these cameras come from?

Old 11-08-2011   #9
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Bellamy,
Welcome aboard! And it's a very interesting blog you've got.
A few questions if you don't mind.

>I keep reading about the wild and wonderful lens conversions that small shops/individuals are doing but these seem to be only for the local market, are you able to broker those kinds of deals? ( I keep thinking of an Argus 50mm Cintar in a coupled LTM mount...)

>Are you only sourcing cameras/photo stuff or are you willing to look for other things as well? Watches specifically.

I do have a short list in mind of cameras I think I want to discuss with you but likely not 'til after Xmas.

Continued success!
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 11-08-2011   #10
wafflecakee

I've been emailing Bellamy over the past few days. Very professional and friendly. Happy to see the partnership.

Kudos
Old 11-17-2011   #11
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

Kudos

I just got a shipment of some film containers from Bellamy through his site.

I couldn't believe it, but they arrived less than 2 weeks...all the way from Tokyo to the middle of Canada. Pretty impressive.

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 11-23-2011   #12
rizraz

Love the film cases too that I got from him...... it also save a lot of space in my fridge. Thanks for the fast service..... also pushing the product to some of my other mates.

Old 11-23-2011   #13
35mmdelux
fiat lux יְהִי אוֹר

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
The classic camera store, complete with often dozens or hundreds of used cameras and lenses, has all but died in the US. Only one such store comes to mind in the LA area, Paul's Photo in Torrance. All replaced by Ebay, internet sales, and of course foreign dealers now plentiful in formerly US owned cameras.

If you have never been to Tokyo, its difficult to imagine just how many used camera stores there are, filled to the brim with classic cameras.

Bellamy, it would probably be a good idea to posts lots of pics of different used classic camera store's inventory. People just don't have a clue of what is available.

Stephen
VERY interesting.

Old 12-01-2011   #14
charjohncarter

I know zero about them but I have ordered camera stuff from Japan and the service is about as good as UPS.

Old 01-05-2012   #15
cmdrzed
wallflower

I recently ordered 2 "bikkuri" cases from Bellamy. One color, one mono. Great service, shipping and overall an excellent purchase (and I have cool film from Japan!)

Old 02-02-2012   #16
f6andBthere
-

Quote:
Please note, Miyazaki san would like to apologize for the spelling mistake on the lens. This first batch will all be ‘Super Tpirlet’ as opposed to ‘Super Triplet’ lenses But that just adds to the rarity value.

Here's hoping he was more careful with the 'optical formula!'

Old 04-12-2012   #17
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Quote:
Originally Posted by japancamerahunter
JapanCameraHunter.com is 1 today! I want to take the opportunity to say a massive thank you to all of you for your support and custom. It has been a great year and I am looking forward to many more.
Congrats on the anniversary!

Old 04-12-2012   #18
nksyoon

Congratulations Bellamy!

Bellamy was kind enough to come out on a rainy Tokyo day (my last there) to deliver to me a Ginichi Rewind crank for the M3/2/P, and help me spend some money on a Minolta TC-1 at Map Camera...

My Website
My Blurb Books

Old 04-14-2012   #19
cameosis
word? up!

Exclamation

wow, wonderful!

haven't been on rff in a longer while, but reading this thread brings back nice memories of my stay in japan -- felt like a kid in a christmas store when i checked out all those camera shops ... japan is like a time capsule often when it comes to retro tech stuff.

love the banner design, too ... reminds me of a certain flag.

leica mp leica m 3 leica m 4 leica m 5
28/elmarit 35/summaron 35/summilux 50/summicron 50/summilux 135/tele-elmar

фэд-2 зоркий-4к
28/орион-15 35/юпитер-12 50/юпитер-3 50/юпитер-8 50/индустар-22 53/индустар-61 л/д 85/юпитер-9