Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras

Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras Sony does a lot of things well. Naming their cameras so the nomenclature makes sense is not one of them. The NEX series has now become the Alpha NEX series, not to be confused with their Alpha DSLRs. Huh ? IS the person who misnamed the Leica M10 the Leica M240 now working for Sony? The new full frame Alpha 7/7r are incredibly successful. I wonder how long it will take the other manufacturers to make their version of the 7/7r full frame cameras.

Old 01-16-2013   #26
dexdog
sans bokeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I hope a true camera company makes some good FF mirrorless cameras soon, because the Sony stuff just is too fiddly for me.
Fiddly or versatile, such as the NEX 7? I like the flexability of the 3-knob arrangement of the 7. I would definately buy a FF version, and hope that Sony rolls out some G-series lenses, too.

Old 01-16-2013   #27
peter_n
~

The NEX-7 can be used as a P&S just like any other manual camera. I use mine with Leica M lenses and all you have to do is press the shutter.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-16-2013   #28
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdog View Post
Fiddly or versatile, such as the NEX 7? .
IMO fiddly compared to the Fuji X series, Sigma Merrill, and Leica M I am used to. Anything can be used as a P&S... but how easy is it to use as a manual camera? Too convoluted IMO the Sony cameras are... like they made them for consumers who want video and photos and not with photographers in mind. Just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2013   #29
peter_n
~

I have to say that I find my NEX-7 pretty easy to use, not that much different from my Leica Ms to be honest. The only big difference is the EVF vs the OVF.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-16-2013   #30
dexdog
sans bokeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
IMO fiddly compared to the Fuji X series, Sigma Merrill, and Leica M I am used to. Anything can be used as a P&S... but how easy is it to use as a manual camera? Too convoluted IMO the Sony cameras are... like they made them for consumers who want video and photos and not with photographers in mind. Just my opinion.
Fair enough; a traditional film speed dial and lens-based aperture settings would be more familiar and probably easier to use initially.