Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Old 5 Days Ago   #361
Howarthp

Yes - I took my M9 to Leica Mayfair who confirmed it needed a new sensor. They estimated the turnaround at four months.

Old 4 Days Ago   #362
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Joe,

Bill, the Service Manager, told me effectively you are almost getting a brand new camera back. I do not think this is too much of an exaggeration.

My Monochrom was heavily used for four years where it was my main camera, and other than the wear on the top and bottom plates the camera is as if new.

I was told 8-10 weeks wait, but it ended up being 12 weeks. It has been all good for me.

Cal
Good to hear Cal. They have both my M-E and my MM. The MM is getting a new sensor. I haven't heard yet on the M-E.

Old 4 Days Ago   #363
SlappyPeterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyPeterson View Post
Checked the status of my M9 sensor replacement this morning - status updated to "Repair Completed". Been almost 6 weeks since they received it. Hoping this means I have my camera in my hands soon!

The history:

Service order registered on: June 20
Order confirmation sent: June 23
In repair: June 23
Repair completed: August 3
To round out my history, I officially received my M9 back yesterday! Woo Hoo!

Old 4 Days Ago   #364
Corran

That was quick. But you sent to Wetzlar. We'll see what the turnaround time is from NJ. Mine was received there around the same time your service order was put in.

Old 4 Days Ago   #365
marko.oja

Sent my Monochrom via local dealer on June 7th, got it back today. Apparently it already had a new sensor (!), but had a bad pixel only visible at higher iso. Service notice says "sensor repair", so I'm guessing that has been fixed. All in all, 10 weeks without need to replace sensor. Compare that to a week when the mirror fell out of my Canon 1ds2..

Old 4 Days Ago   #366
rfaspen

Well....I just checked my UPS tracking # and my M9 was delivered to Leica NJ....Today!

Um...took a while.

Now, what are the chances they don't unpack my box until tomorrow (Aug 16) and then its, "sorry, you didn't make the deadline"

I will pitch a fit. Took Leica a while just to get a mailing label to me (several days after talking on phone and emailing). I got my package to the shipping center within an hour of receiving the label. Then UPS takes an awful long time to deliver (10 days?). I have a pattern of luck here.

Old 4 Days Ago   #367
SlappyPeterson

I would bet you're OK. They received the camera within the deadline.

Old 4 Days Ago   #368
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Good to hear Cal. They have both my M-E and my MM. The MM is getting a new sensor. I haven't heard yet on the M-E.
Alan,

Getting a fresh almost new camera back is mighty cool for heavy user like you.

For me it definitely is a huge bonus because I hope to keep shooting my MM for decades.

Cal

Old 4 Days Ago   #369
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
To round out my history, I officially received my M9 back yesterday! Woo Hoo!
SP,

Great news.

I felt whole again when my MM came home.

Cal

Old 4 Days Ago   #370
rfaspen

Quote:
I would bet you're OK. They received the camera within the deadline.
Thanks. I do hope so. I remember the customer service rep at Leica telling me, "oh, you have plenty of time" when I told her I was worried that the mailing label still hadn't arrived.

Now that I'm using an M240 while the M9 is away, I'm realizing how wonderful the M9 feels in the hand. The M240 is notably larger (as has been discussed elsewhere on RFF ad nauseum).

I wish everybody bon chance for a quick and favourable outcome.

Old 3 Days Ago   #371
Luke_Miller

Since Leica provided the pre-paid shipping label I suspect the date they did that is the date that is important.

Old 3 Days Ago   #372
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I had Schiller's send my M9 3 weeks ago. Haven't heard if it needs a sensor yet. How long does that take?

Old 3 Days Ago   #373
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

If the camera is sent in through the dealer network things might be a bit slower. Your dealer should be able to communicate with Leica for you.

jaapvphotography

Old 3 Days Ago   #374
Luke_Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
If the camera is sent in through the dealer network things might be a bit slower. Your dealer should be able to communicate with Leica for you.
I sent mine in last year using the Leica NJ provided pre-paid shipping label. I had a sensor replacement "appointment" and so expected a fairly short turn around. After a month or so I tried to get repair status but customer service would not respond to my emails and phone calls. I asked my dealer (Popflash) for help and Tony Rose was able to establish communication where I could not. My take away is Leica NJ may not care if I am happy, but they do like to keep their dealers happy.

Old 3 Days Ago   #375
raid
Dad Photographer

They also like to keep the Leica CEO happy. He cares about customer service.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 3 Days Ago   #376
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I had Schiller's send my M9 3 weeks ago. Haven't heard if it needs a sensor yet. How long does that take?
Schiller's will follow up and take care of you once you figure out which staff person is directly responsible for interactions with Leica.

For a small, business they seem to have a significant bureaucracy. At least that was my experience over a FUJIFILM X-Pro 1 pre-order that seemed to disappear into a black hole. But Schiller's always came through for me. After I relocated to the east coast I miss Schiller's. They are great.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 3 Days Ago   #377
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Apparently not if his USA office is so awful.

When I sent my Nikon D750 in for a shutter recall - Nikon:

1/ On their website provided a place where you could enter your serial #
2/ If your serial # fell under the recall, they then provided the UPS pre-paid shipping label that you could print out
3/ You would enter your info showing you had shipped
4/ They created an account for you that you could log into to check the status of your service call
5/ Your account shows all your service record, for all your equipment that you may have sent in
6/ All those service records have statuses - open or resolved - that you can re-open if you still have issues, write comments to, upload images to.

I got my camera back in a week.

It's just lip talk when the CEO says he cares about customer service but his regional offices do not.

Old 3 Days Ago   #378
Emile de Leon

Leica..luv it..or leave it...lol..

Old 3 Days Ago   #379
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Leica..luv it..or leave it...lol..
I do have to say that I love Leica. Just hate the lack of support or care.

My M240 is what I want from a digital camera - a digital version of one of their film cameras. But I bought it used so the sting if/when something goes t1ts up wouldn't be so bad.

Old 3 Days Ago   #380
raid
Dad Photographer

I have never bought a new Leica item.

Old 3 Days Ago   #381
jszokoli

Quote:
I can't imagine that the quoted time of 20-25 weeks is within what he would seen as acceptable. That was the time I got from Leica USA/NJ in mid May, I would imagine it's worse now as more cameras have come in as a result of the deadline.

The two service numbers I got three weeks apart where 971 apart. So if those number are assigned sequentially they are getting a little over 300 of all types of items for repair a week. It's unclear if it's a lack of parts or available Technicians that is slowing down the sensor swaps.

Without understanding the details of the corporate relationship between Leica Germany and Leica USA it's a little hard to know who is to blame and what can be done to improve the turn around time.

Joe

Old 3 Days Ago   #382
raid
Dad Photographer

Didn't some people say that sensors are replaced in Wetzlar and that our cameras may have been mailed there?

Old 2 Days Ago   #383
Emile de Leon

I fear Leica...
Their lenses..not so much...

Old 2 Days Ago   #384
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Didn't some people say that sensors are replaced in Wetzlar and that our cameras may have been mailed there?
That is what I was told at Schiller's when I dropped mine off. I'm guessing that maybe they make the initial determination at Allendale as to whether a sensor replacement is needed, or if only a sensor cleaning will do. If the former, then maybe that's when it goes to Germany; otherwise it can be cleaned and returned by Leica Allendale? (Question mark because I'm only guessing.)

Old 2 Days Ago   #385
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Well, I sent my MM1 and M9 off on June 2nd. The MM1 will be arriving tomorrow, the M9 hopefully some time next week.

jaapvphotography

Old 2 Days Ago   #386
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Well, I sent my MM1 and M9 off on June 2nd. The MM1 will be arriving tomorrow, the M9 hopefully some time next week.
The advantages of being a European Leica customer. US customers are really getting short shrifted.

Old 2 Days Ago   #387
Huss

Remember the good old days when the claim was only 1% of these cameras had the sensor failures?

I honestly feel sorry for those who do not waste their time on websites like this and have no idea of the cut off date for 'free' sensor repairs.

Old 2 Days Ago   #388
SlappyPeterson

Just curious - why are folks in the US sending to Leica NJ? Is it to avoid international shipping costs?

Old 2 Days Ago   #389
mlu19

I made initial contact to Leica Miami, who in turn instructed me to send the body to Leica NJ by Aug. 15.

Old 2 Days Ago   #390
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Remember the good old days when the claim was only 1% of these cameras had the sensor failures?

I honestly feel sorry for those who do not waste their time on websites like this and have no idea of the cut off date for 'free' sensor repairs.
I received the following message directly from Leica back in May:
"Latest information concerning the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models
Following the successfully begun and largely completed replacement programme for corroded sensors that affected M9, M9-P, M Monochrom and M-E camera models, we would now like to inform you about how this programme will be handled in the future.

Until 15 August 2017, we will continue to offer free replacement of sensors for these camera models if they are affected by the corrosion problem. This will also apply after 16 August 2017 for the models listed above, but only in cases where the cameras have been purchased as new products within the last five years..."

It then goes on to talk about the policy for what happens after August 15.

So Leica did directly notify registered owners.

That said, RFF certainly put me on the alert about the issue well before that.

Last edited by sevres_babylone : 2 Days Ago at 07:57. Reason: Added last line

Old 2 Days Ago   #391
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post
I received the following message directly from Leica back in May:
"Latest information concerning the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models
Following the successfully begun and largely completed replacement programme for corroded sensors that affected M9, M9-P, M Monochrom and M-E camera models, we would now like to inform you about how this programme will be handled in the future.

Until 15 August 2017, we will continue to offer free replacement of sensors for these camera models if they are affected by the corrosion problem. This will also apply after 16 August 2017 for the models listed above, but only in cases where the cameras have been purchased as new products within the last five years..."

It then goes on to talk about the policy for what happens after August 15.

So Leica did directly notify registered owners.

That said, RFF certainly put me on the alert about the issue well before that.

If someone bought the camera used, they may not be on Leica's list of registered owners.
I was a registered owner of my M-E, and did not receive any notice from Leica. They even had me in the system as the camera was already repaired once, before the new/improved sensor came out.

Old 2 Days Ago   #392
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
If someone bought the camera used, they may not be on Leica's list of registered owners.
I was a registered owner of my M-E, and did not receive any notice from Leica. They even had me in the system as the camera was already repaired once, before the new/improved sensor came out.
Huss,

I sometimes get skipped about firmware updates on my SL which I bought new. You are not the only person who does not always get messages and updates.

This is one reason why I started this thread.

I got one firmware update message, but only learned about another firmware update for my SL through Godfrey here on this forum. The missed update was kinda important to me because it really addressed and optimized my 50 Lux SL and made the AF mucho fast.

Cal

Old 1 Day Ago   #393
rfaspen

OK, what would you do?

3 Aug. Contact Leica service rep. Request a mailing label and she says she says OK I'm issuing one now.
9 Aug. Contact Leica service rep. Where's mailing label?
10 Aug. Mailing label shows up!
10 Aug. 2 hours later. Camera shipped at UPS center.
15 Aug. Tracking says camera delivered.
18 Aug. Receive email confirming receipt --- Dated 18 Aug. !!!

I'm not happy. I did everything I could to get the camera to them in time. The service rep or someone took 10 days to get me the mailing label! UPS took the maximum amount of time to ship, but camera arrived before 16 Aug. It took Leica 4 days to unpack my package? What do I do?

Old 1 Day Ago   #394
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
OK, what would you do?

3 Aug. Contact Leica service rep. Request a mailing label and she says she says OK I'm issuing one now.

I'm not happy. I did everything I could to get the camera to them in time. The service rep or someone took 10 days to get me the mailing label! UPS took the maximum amount of time to ship, but camera arrived before 16 Aug. It took Leica 4 days to unpack my package? What do I do?
R,

PM sent.

Cal

Old 1 Day Ago   #395
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Leica's "service" continues to be ridiculous.

Phil Forrest

Old 1 Day Ago   #396
raid
Dad Photographer

I would ask Leica Camera USA if your camera will be serviced for free or not. Then take it to Leica in Wetzlar.

Old 23 Hours Ago   #397
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
OK, what would you do?

I don't see an issue, since they received it on the 15th.

Plus, as I understand their FAQ, the key date is the day on which you reported the defect.

John