Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Old 05-21-2017   #41
ferider

Similar to what Dante said: we already knew 15 years ago that 2 out of 3 samples would haze up over time, but back then these were cleanable. Nowadays, the haze has etched the glass of most lenses - and they are not cleanable any more. There still are clean samples that do not haze up - I feel lucky since I found one 2 years ago. But don't expect to find it cheaply. If you really want it, be generous on the price.

That being said, today, the Sonnetar gives me exactly what I was looking for with the Canon 50/1.2 (character background). Speed, smaller size, faster transmission, and short min. focus are a plus. Maybe interesting for the OP as well ?

Roland.

Old 05-21-2017   #42
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Not to start a mutual agreement society, but I agree with Roland that the Sonnetar is a much better idea. More contrast, less flare, and sharper. Its user-adjustability is a big plus if you use superspeed lenses with a digital body.

I would be extremely cautious about buying any lens from the 1950s that has haze; it may not come off. 90/4 Elmars seem to be hit with this, as some Summicrons.

If you plan to use a camera with live view, the Konica 57/1.2 Hexanon (SLR version) - brought on the market in the late 60s is one of the best 1.2 lenses out there. Konica lenses don't have issues with bad coatings or degrading glass (other than when fungus attacks). You might occasionally get cement yellowing (as with a lot of lenses of the era), which if it bothers you can be remedied with mere solar exposure (or a strong UV light).

Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Similar to what Dante said: we already knew 15 years ago that 2 out of 3 samples would haze up over time, but back then these were cleanable. Nowadays, the haze has etched the glass of most lenses - and they are not cleanable any more. There still are clean samples that do not haze up - I feel lucky since I found one 2 years ago. But don't expect to find it cheaply. If you really want it, be generous on the price.

That being said, today, the Sonnetar gives me exactly what I was looking for with the Canon 50/1.2 (character background). Speed, smaller size, faster transmission, and short min. focus are a plus. Maybe interesting for the OP as well ?

Roland.

Old 05-21-2017   #44
Doug

Any love for the Pentax 50mm f/1.2? Viable option?

Old 05-21-2017   #45
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

That old Canon lens is mighty sweet.

Certainly worth the price of admission.

Old 05-21-2017   #46
NathanArizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It's one of those lenses I want to try. Not sure out it compares to the old Canon though. I settled on the Minolta 55mm F1.2 Rokkor!

Old 05-21-2017   #47
peterm1

Quote:
Another good fast lens to try from the same marque is the Canon FL mount 58mm f1.2. Mounted on a digital camera like the Sony NEX or an M4/3 it really performs nicely with soft bokeh and pleasant rendering of in focus areas. The 55mm which came later is said to be better still in terms of sharpness wide open, but I am happy enough with my 58mm. It is also somewhat easier to find in good condition and cheaper to buy than the near equivalent LTM lens

These shots have everything OOF (an experiment) but they do show how soft the bokeh is.

City impressions 1 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

City impressions by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Old 05-21-2017   #48
Michael Markey

Quote:

I have a copy .... here on an A7s @1.2

Old 05-21-2017   #49
Doug

Thanks for the sample, Michael! I have one too...
This is my cat Cindy with elizabethan collar after surgical removal of a cancerous tumor on her hip. Sitting in front of my computer screen, she is *not* happy about the collar.

Pentax K-1, Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2 at f/1.2