Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-Pro Series

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #41
Thardy

I'd just buy the Fuji body, and one lens to play with and keep the Leica stuff.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #42
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I'm going to do it. Working on an order for a XP2 with the 23 and 50.

I've decided to keep the M6, Leicavit and 21-35-75 Cron. Most everything else non-Nikon is going on the block to fund the XP2. I'm worried that if I sell off my three favorite M lenses I'd never be able to afford replacing them.

Hopefully it will be here Friday.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-Pro1, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #43
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post

I've decided to keep the M6, Leicavit and 21-35-75 Cron. Most everything else non-Nikon is going on the block to fund the XP2. I'm worried that if I sell off my three favorite M lenses I'd never be able to afford replacing them.

Its funny I was thinking about the same thing, Leica lens-wise I only have left 35, 50, and 90 Summicrons and my old 35mm pre asph Summilux. I only really use the 35mm Summicron but like you I worry if I sold the others I would regret it and probably not have the funds to replace!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #44
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35photo View Post
A word of advice... Its not the gear that's contributing to your "photographic funk" You have to ask this question to yourself, What do I want to do with photography? What is my purpose for taking photographs? You need inspiration...
Ken, this is true in my experience as well.
Pare down the gear as you wish but then use the $$$ to take a photography workshop.
Selecting the right one for you takes a lot of research and a bit of luck but I and many others have found it more than worthwhile...

Panasonic GX1, 20mm 1.7

Fuji XE-2, X Pro 2,
w/ 18-55 Fuji
12mm Zeiss,
16mm 1.4, 35 1.4, 56mm 1.2 Fuji
Fuji X100s

Nikon F
Nikon D800e with 6 primes and
a zoomer (70-200 f4)

In Memoriam: Mamiya 7ll with 50, 80 and 150 mm lenses---The best camera I've ever owned.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #45
jsrockit

Me too regarding the switch from MF RFs to AF cameras...AND I'm ok with it!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #46
Thardy

Quote:

Always exciting to get something new!

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Woot! Brown Santa just left a half hour ago.

After a quick play the battery is on the charger; the camera shipped with quite old firmware so I want to do the update before I start configuring things. That's a project for tonight, so hopefully I can get out in the morning and run the body and both new lenses through their paces.

Fun!

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X-Pro2, X-Pro1, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
mpaniagua

Smile

Quote:

After a quick play the battery is on the charger; the camera shipped with quite old firmware so I want to do the update before I start configuring things. That's a project for tonight, so hopefully I can get out in the morning and run the body and both new lenses through their paces.

Fun!
Congratz! Always nice to have something new and exciting to play with.

Enjoy

Marcelo

P.d.- Don't forget to play with you M6 then and again. They turn into gremlins if you forget about them

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
jsrockit

Awesome, enjoy it. I use mine almost daily and continue to love it more and more.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
Archiver

Quote:

Fun!
It took me a couple of seconds to work out who "Brown Santa" was!

Congrats and enjoy!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I was able to spend about an hour yesterday shooting downtown with the XP2, 23 and 50. I'm enjoying using the XP2 much more than I do the XP1, I need to run them side by side to better compare them but I'm thinking using them both might drive me a little crazy due to the differences. I ordered Rico's book, hopefully it will help me shorten the learning curve a little.

So, my initial impression is very favorable! Time to take pics of the gear that will be sold, I think.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Well, I just found my first niggle with the XP2. IMO, the brightline and data overlay in the OVF isn't bright enough under certain light. I wish there was a way of adjusting the baseline brightness used by the automatic adjustment algorithm. Since this is Fuji, at least there's hope of this being addressed in a future firmware update...

Old 1 Week Ago   #53
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

It was immediately apparent that I needed a 21mm-e if this was going to work for me, so I have a used Fuji 14/2.8 on the way. I've also been playing with my 90/4 Elmar-C and Fuji M adapter, I think I'll be keeping that lens after all.

I still need to find the Oly to X adapter I picked up last year and try my few Zuikos just for fun.

Old 1 Week Ago   #54
back alley
IMAGES

i tried a few different adapters and manual lenses but quit that pretty quick...of course i stopped using rangefinders because i was finding it hard to manually focus because of my aging eyes.
i love fuji gear...

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 1 Week Ago   #55
white.elephant

What a sensitive and well thoight out thread. Enjoy whatever you decide. Fuji gear rocks.

Chris Klug
gcklug.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #56
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
It was immediately apparent that I needed a 21mm-e if this was going to work for me, so I have a used Fuji 14/2.8 on the way. I've also been playing with my 90/4 Elmar-C and Fuji M adapter, I think I'll be keeping that lens after all.

I still need to find the Oly to X adapter I picked up last year and try my few Zuikos just for fun.
i had the 14 and the 16 but kept the 16...it's easier for me to use a 16...the 14 is hard to tame.
but the 14 is a great lens, scary sharp!

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 1 Week Ago   #57
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i tried a few different adapters and manual lenses but quit that pretty quick...of course i stopped using rangefinders because i was finding it hard to manually focus because of my aging eyes.
i love fuji gear...
Neat trick to try with adapted lenses. Use the ERF mode (OVF with little EVF window) and set it to zoomed in view (press rear command dial) and then press and hold to set it to Focus Peaking and in the menu set it to Focus Peaking RED.

Put the camera in monochrome film simulation (shoot RAW if you want color). That will make the little window monochrome EXCEPT for when you are in focus and then you will see the red focus peaking color.

Focus simply by watching for red in the little window in the corner.

Works surprisingly well and is fast once you get use to it.

Shawn

Old 1 Week Ago   #58
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I'm finding the OVF with adapted lenses isn't very satisfying due to no parallax correction - I've been using the 90 in EVF mode. I should play more with OVF and ERF using your instructions.

Old 1 Week Ago   #59
kshapero
My view

Well you are obviously a gear head, like many of us. So go for it but keep the receipts as my dear ol' mom used to say.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 1 Week Ago   #60
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

To be honest, I'm already more comfortable with the XP2 than I've managed to get in a year with my M-P 240. Its odd - the M-P is a totally different experience than my M6. Plus, the Fuji's AF is proving to be luxurious for my aging eyes.

Old 1 Week Ago   #61
mgrinnan

Look, we’re all getting older... just look at the interface we’re using right now. That said, I’ve never used Fuji, unless you count fujifilm which is what I use for color. The Leica M thing is its own beast and probably not best for shooting past 50mm. I will never own gear as expensive as you (probably), and even if I could, I’d buy totally different stuff. I hate SLRs with the sole exception of the K1000, which is Jesus’ gift to mankind. I wish you luck in using Fuji digital products, and hope you lose as little money as possible in selling your Leica gear. godspeed

Leica M3, Zorki 1c
Yashica Mat-124g

Old 1 Week Ago   #62
quadtones

Thank you for starting this thread. I am a long time M-user (first M2 sometime in the 70s) at the beginning of a long queue to get my M-Monochrom sensor replaced and have been contemplating a similar switch. I'll probably keep the M6 and v4 35mm Summicron, and maybe the 75. After reading everyone's comments, I suspect I'm going to order the XPro-2 with the 23mm, and perhaps the 50 and decide whether to sell the MM when(ever) it finally returns from the mothership. I expect it will go.

http://www.normsnyderphoto.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #63
Nikos72

You will regret it again by the moment the first stuck/dead pixels show up on your sensor.
Great camera, but with flaws and a filthy service (at least where I live).
Keep your M and save money for a digital. After a few years, your M stuff will be worth of something, but your X-Pro 2 a mere nothing (same story as X-Pro 1).

Old 1 Week Ago   #64
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
...After a few years, your M stuff will be worth of something, but your X-Pro 2 a mere nothing (same story as X-Pro 1).
I suspect the value of the camera after several years depends more on the use one gets from it, the results obtained from it and the enjoyment one gets from using it. Buying camera equipment as an investment is not a wise proposition.

I'm using two "old" X-Pro1 cameras right now that are worth infinitely more to me than my previous M6 Leicas simply because my photos are sharper.

Old 1 Week Ago   #65
willie_901

shawn's advice above is very useful.

Unfortunately adapted lenses have no way to communicate focus distance to the body.

And – the X-Pro 2 EVF's magnification and eye relief is a bit inferior to the X-T1/2. The X-T2 would be best for serious repurposing of non-native lenses.

For digital photography with M lenses a M body or RD- 1 are the only ways to use an OVF with parallax estimates. (Does Leica S-system support parallax estimates with M lenses?)

I just ordered a X-Pro 2 from Stephen despite the face that I will probably use the EVF with my 56/1.2 Fujinon. I was able to use an ancient Nikon 85/2 LTM lens with the Zeiss Ikon ZM frame lines, so perhaps the X-Pro 2 OVF will be practical as well.

Also is the EVF is the only option for my Fujinon 14/2.8. I used to the X-T1 EVF and this focal length so it will be OK.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #66
shawn

Yup, no parallax correction with adapted lenses. When framing is critical you can either switch to the EVF or set the ERF window to the full screen view. That lets you fine tune framing while still having the benefit of the OVF. With the ERF in full screen view you still have the benefits of focus peaking and the monochrome trick I posted above works with it. I've shot my Nikon 105mm at a soccor game that way and it worked fine. In that case though I had the benefits of subjects no closer than maybe 10' and also stopped down for decent DOF.

Shawn

Old 6 Days Ago   #67
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrinnan View Post
I hate SLRs with the sole exception of the K1000, which is Jesus’ gift to mankind.
Awesome...

Old 6 Days Ago   #68
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
You will regret it again by the moment the first stuck/dead pixels show up on your sensor.
Never had a dead pixel on any of my Fuji gear and I've used a lot of them.

Quote:
Keep your M and save money for a digital. After a few years, your M stuff will be worth of something, but your X-Pro 2 a mere nothing (same story as X-Pro 1).
M digital stuff goes down in prices as well. The X-Pro1 still sells for 25% of its original price. On $1600, you lost $1200. For a Leica, percentage wise a M9 might sell for more, but on a $7000 camera, you can get $2500... or you lost $4500. None of these cameras should be bought with any thought as to what it will be worth in the future. They are computers. That said, you don't have to feed them film...so the money lost is comparable the longer you use it.

Old 6 Days Ago   #69
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

My used 14/2.8 arrived yesterday completing my basic three lens kit needed to functionally replace my M-P - first impression is very favorable, it's not silent like my WR primes but it handles nicely. I also checked out a 90/2 WR at the pusher's, one may be in my future someday instead of using my 90 Elmar-C on the Fuji adapter.

Old 5 Days Ago   #70
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post

M digital stuff goes down in prices as well. The X-Pro1 still sells for 25% of its original price. On $1600, you lost $1200. For a Leica, percentage wise a M9 might sell for more, but on a $7000 camera, you can get $2500... or you lost $4500. None of these cameras should be bought with any thought as to what it will be worth in the future. They are computers. That said, you don't have to feed them film...so the money lost is comparable the longer you use it.
Since 2007 I had exactly one dead pixel issue. I averaged three interior photography gigs a week which generated a huge number of raw files between 2008 and 2015. It was a single red pixel on a D700.

I used the X100, X100T and X-T1 (two bodies) without any dead pixel (or other issues related to electronics or build quality). The X-Pro 2 has an in-camera "pixel mapping" function. I guess the X-T2 does as well. I have no idea how well it works.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 5 Days Ago   #71
newsgrunt

I'd keep the Rapidwinder and sell the Leicavit

Old 5 Days Ago   #72
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
I'd keep the Rapidwinder and sell the Leicavit

Why? I actually prefer the 'Vit.

Old 5 Days Ago   #73
newsgrunt

get more money for the 'Vit and the RW is so elegant and because it was made by Tom

Old 5 Days Ago   #74
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Ah, but my 'Vit is user condition plus I have a fitted halfcase for it and the M6.

Old 11 Hours Ago   #75
adamjbonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
Well, I guess it's better than having first bought the Fuji, then deciding you wanted the Leica instead. At least with the Leica gear, you'll get a good portion of your money back. With the Fuji gear, you need to know it's what you want because there'll be no getting your money back if you decide 6 months down the road that wasn't a good move.
I don't think that's entirely accurate.

In the UK at least used M240s are going for under £3000 on ebay, yet still cost around £5000 new

Conversely, X-Pro2s cost £1350 new and go for around £850 on ebay. So on the one hand the percentage isn't so different, but there's a hell of a difference between taking £2000 bath and £500 one

Now a lot of people when presented with this say,

'Ah but I meant buy a secondhand m9 it'll always be worth what you paid for it'

Very true, the M9/8 are pretty much at the bottom of their depreciation curve, so that's true. But equally one could buy a secondhand X-Pro1 for about £250ish and say the same thing

In the 2016 'black friday' vendors were ditching the X-Pro1 and two lenses and a case for £500 brand new. Had one bought that and flipped it all 18months later one would have made money.

Incidentally in the same Black Friday other vendors were punting out the Leica M-E and 35 & 50 summarits for £5000. You'd have made money on that deal too.

I suspect the m240 hasn't done owners many favours in terms of resale, it was (and continues to be) available for a very long time, leading to high market saturation, thoughout its life many have compared it unfavourable (rightly or wrongly) to the M9, and now the M10 has landed, the poor M240 has been met with a wave of ambivalence

Definitely a buyers, not a sellers market for one.

Leica glass is of course a different story, but the bodies are deprecating digital products, just like all the other cameras
The largest X-Pro1 opinion piece on the 'net! http://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-w...jifilm-x-pro1/

Old 11 Hours Ago   #76
adamjbonn

Quote:
My used 14/2.8 arrived yesterday completing my basic three lens kit needed to functionally replace my M-P - first impression is very favorable, it's not silent like my WR primes but it handles nicely. I also checked out a 90/2 WR at the pusher's, one may be in my future someday instead of using my 90 Elmar-C on the Fuji adapter.
The 90 is quite big Ken, and as I'm sure you realise, will be more like a 120 fov on FF

The 60 will be about 90 and its a nice lens, but maybe give the 56 a try as that's a lovely bit of glass
The largest X-Pro1 opinion piece on the 'net! http://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-w...jifilm-x-pro1/

Old 11 Hours Ago   #77
adamjbonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post

Sorry I missed this, I just basically said the same thing.

Old 6 Hours Ago   #78
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjbonn View Post
The 90 is quite big Ken, and as I'm sure you realise, will be more like a 120 fov on FF

The 60 will be about 90 and its a nice lens, but maybe give the 56 a try as that's a lovely bit of glass
Hi, Adam - I thought the size of the 90 was workable, I tried it on an XP2 at the store. I'm unlikely to buy one new unless they run another deep discount sale, but it's on my future list.

I was never overly impressed with the handling or FOV of either the 56 or the 60 which held me back from the X system until recently. The 50/2 is what did it for me following the release of the 23/2 - with FF rangefinders I work best with a 21 - 35 - 75. After the 50 was released, the system was finally viable for me.

Now, if they would just do a smaller 14/4 WR...