Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras

Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras Sony does a lot of things well. Naming their cameras so the nomenclature makes sense is not one of them. The NEX series has now become the Alpha NEX series, not to be confused with their Alpha DSLRs. Huh ? IS the person who misnamed the Leica M10 the Leica M240 now working for Sony? The new full frame Alpha 7/7r are incredibly successful. I wonder how long it will take the other manufacturers to make their version of the 7/7r full frame cameras.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #76
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It's interesting that the M240 has offered little over the M9 aside from video (who cares) and better high ISO performance. As said above Leica will need to lift their game if they want to maintain station against the tide of new full frame compacts that can mount their lenses.
I had a chance to try out the M240 again very recently, it had been over a year since I first handled one.

For me, the big thing that the M240 has over both the M9 and the A7 is responsiveness: the shutter response is close to what I get with the Olympus E-M1 and E-1, or the R8 and Nikon F film SLRs. The A7 is closer to the FM2 with MD-12 fitted, the M9 is slower responding.

In terms of output image qualities (color, tonal range, etc), it's different from the M9 or A7 but neither worse nor better. It produces less moiré at the limits than the M9 and about the same detailing as the A7 (a little more or less, I didn't shoot any certified resolution targets). The colors it produces in its raw files are just as malleable as the M9 or A7 raw files.

While it might do better with some wide RF lenses than the A7 or M9, I can only test with the lenses I have (Color Skopar 21, 28, 35 vs Elmarit R 19, 24, 35). I didn't have time to do any exhaustive testing, but my impression with the Color Skopar 28mm was that it color-shifts less on the M240 than it does on the M9. I haven't used that lens on the A7 yet; I prefer the Elmarit-R 24mm for the A7.

None of these cameras are perfect; no camera is. I've been very pleased with the M9 for use with the Color-Skopar 35/2.5 and Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH (LTM), and more than very pleased with the A7 for use with all of my R lenses.

G

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #77
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samouraï View Post
I'd like to see the A7S placed along the M240 and the other two A7 cameras. See how the images compare, then. I'd bet it plays nicer with rangefinder lenses that gave the A7 and A7R so much trouble.
Someone from another forum has been experimenting with RF lenses that caused significant problems on the A7r and M9. So far, from what I've seen of his research, the A7s does prove friendlier with them.

This was one of my reasons for picking the A7 model over the A7r model ... I wagered on the lower resolution sensor with light AA filter being less demanding of my older SLR lenses, and thought the EFCS would reduce any tendency to shutter vibration problems.

So far, it has worked out very well, very much as I expected. The A7s might be slightly better with RF lenses, but since that isn't my primary target (and 4K video certainly isn't) I can't see spending the premium price for it.

G