Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Monochrom - All M Models

Old 02-22-2017   #81
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Read your quote. I find this mucho funny. Now double funny. I guess you don't read what you write.

Kinda funny that someone on this Leicacentric Rangefinder forum might not consider an analog M or be interested in film. Do you really need to state the obvious.

Then again: do you think that Monochrom owners do not have film "M" bodies? Do you think others here do not have mucho experience shooting film?

Tongue in cheek: it comes across that way.

Cal
Cal, when I make a post on RFF, it's not directly addressed to you. There are many folks here on RFF. Some have film Ms, some have digital Ms, some have both. Some digital shooters may be considering film, some film shooters may be considering digital. Some may be enjoying the merits of both which you apparently are. My thoughts are applicable to any of these users. RFF isn't your personal inbox. Now if you'd like to have a conversation about something interesting, like how to evaluate the merits of a B&W image (which I was doing with airfrog), that's a conversation worth having.

Old 02-22-2017   #82
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Cal, when I make a post on RFF, it's not directly addressed to you. There are many folks here on RFF. Some have film Ms, some have digital Ms, some have both. Some digital shooters may be considering film, some film shooters may be considering digital. Some may be enjoying the merits of both which you apparently are. My thoughts are applicable to any of these users. RFF isn't your personal inbox. Now if you'd like to have a conversation about something interesting, like how to evaluate the merits of a B&W image (which I was doing with airfrog), that's a conversation worth having.
You are correct: RFF is a public forum and not my personal inbox. My apologies to the original poster, but when something kinda off base compels me to respond realize that this is a public forum.

Anyways although off topic there is some entertainment value going on. I am sure many will read this thread and gain some amusement. I am not the only person ranting here. I hold up the mirror, and I have read about buying a M4 or two and shooting film in other posts by you in other threads.

Why should I allow for a one sided rant? Is it me that is displaying an agenda?

Cal

Old 02-22-2017   #83
SaveKodak

Quote:
You are correct: RFF is a public forum and not my personal inbox. My apologies to the original poster, but when something kinda off base compels me to respond realize that this is a public forum.

Anyways although off topic there is some entertainment value going on. I am sure many will read this thread and gain some amusement. I am not the only person ranting here. I hold up the mirror, and I have read about buying a M4 or two and shooting film in other posts by you in other threads.

Why should I allow for a one sided rant? Is it me that is displaying an agenda?

Cal
If by, "agenda" you mean "opinions". Then yes, I am guilty of having opinions. Lock me away for expressing them if you must.

If you don't agree with what I'm saying you could A. Make arguments related to my actual points. or B. Ignore them and get on with your own photography. You so far have only pointed out that you shoot film and digital and that therefore is some kind of blanket statement about anything I could ever say. Based on your logic I could say you have an "agenda" about Pizeogrpahy. But I don't, because you're just talking about what you're learning about Pizeography. Which is what I'm doing here about shooting black and white images with rangefinder cameras.

Old 02-22-2017   #84
gnuyork

Quote:
Choice paralysis represents one of the worst aspects of digital photography in my opinion.
I have much more severe choice paralysis when I think of all the B&W emulsion and developer combinations. It so much my head spins.

Old 02-22-2017   #85
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
If by, "agenda" you mean "opinions". Then yes, I am guilty of having opinions. Lock me away for expressing them if you must.

If you don't agree with what I'm saying you could A. Make arguments related to my actual points. or B. Ignore them and get on with your own photography. You so far have only pointed out that you shoot film and digital and that therefore is some kind of blanket statement about anything I could ever say. Based on your logic I could say you have an "agenda" about Pizeogrpahy. But I don't, because you're just talking about what you're learning about Pizeography. Which is what I'm doing here about shooting black and white images with rangefinder cameras.
In one of your posts in a thread you called Piezography "Snakeoil." Was that not a blanket statement when you gave no explaination of your opinion?

I don't mind you or other people having or expressing their opinion, but I object in how you impose your opinion. To me this is wrong. It amazes me that you can't regulate yourself.

Anyways whenever I make a point by holding up a mirror, by mirroring your behavior, you don't like it. LOL. I don't think you realize that you come across hostile and forceful, but that is not what I'm about.

Cal

Old 02-22-2017   #86
SaveKodak

Quote:
In one of your posts in a thread you called Piezography "Snakeoil." Was that not a blanket statement when you gave no explaination of your opinion?

I don't mind you or other people having or expressing their opinion, but I object in how you impose your opinion. To me this is wrong. It amazes me that you can't regulate yourself.

Anyways whenever I make a point by holding up a mirror, by mirroring your behavior, you don't like it. LOL. I don't think you realize that you come across hostile and forceful, but that is not what I'm about.

Cal
Pizeography is snakeoil. I stand by that opinion. I can't make you enjoy that opinion that I hold, but it also doesn't invalidate your own opinion. Imposing my opinions would be buying RFF and deleting all the threads about the MM. This is fundamentally different from expressing my opinions.

The fact is Cal, you have yet to make an actual point. What mirror are you holding up? You've made it about you, which it's not.

Old 02-22-2017   #87
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Pizeography is snakeoil. I stand by that opinion. I can't make you enjoy that opinion that I hold, but it also doesn't invalidate your own opinion. Imposing my opinions would be buying RFF and deleting all the threads about the MM. This is fundamentally different from expressing my opinions.

The fact is Cal, you have yet to make an actual point. What mirror are you holding up? You've made it about you, which it's not.
It makes no sense to reason with you.

The point is right above in your quote: you make a blanket statements, that are not useful, helpful or thoughtful. Like I said you don't read what you write.

Anyways you have no credibility with me, and I only read what you write for entertainment value. LOL. I'm past the point of taking you seriously. LOL. Really amazing.

Cal

Old 02-22-2017   #88
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I am no mod and I try my best to stay away from any arguments, but could you two please move the conversation to PM if you guys wanna continue?

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 02-22-2017   #89
SaveKodak

Quote:
It makes no sense to reason with you.

The point is right above in your quote: you make a blanket statements, that are not useful, helpful or thoughtful. Like I said you don't read what you write.

Anyways you have no credibility with me, and I only read what you write for entertainment value. LOL. I'm past the point of taking you seriously. LOL. Really amazing.

Cal
Sounds good to me. *shrug* Keep on keep'n on.

Old 03-20-2017   #90
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Friday I got my Monochrom back from Leica. I was told 8-10 weeks, but it actually was 12 weeks turnaround. In my case Leica sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it to them, and I was not charged for any return shipping. The cost to me for this repair (sensor replacement) was zero.

The new covering looks a bit odd on my well used camera because there is silvering along the edges of my top plate, and my old covering was worn smooth is some places that matched well the accumulated wear. My MM got used severely. The only issue was the small amount of sensor corrosion that only was in the sky of some images, so other than this issue I experienced no problems over 4 years of heavy use.

Since September of last year I mostly have been shooting my SL, but there is some charm and elegance in my MM because it is now an old and retro digital camera that is very basic and simple.

Had to set up the clipping indicators. Seems like Leica updated my firmware. Something I never did. Purchased over 4 years ago for $8K, I figure if I get another 4 years of trouble free service that the camera at that time would be a free camera, and I can still see me still shooting it a decade from now.

Cal

Old 03-20-2017   #91
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Friday I got my Monochrom back from Leica. I was told 8-10 weeks, but it actually was 12 weeks turnaround. In my case Leica sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it to them, and I was not charged for any return shipping. The cost to me for this repair (sensor replacement) was zero.

The new covering looks a bit odd on my well used camera because there is silvering along the edges of my top plate, and my old covering was worn smooth is some places that matched well the accumulated wear. My MM got used severely. The only issue was the small amount of sensor corrosion that only was in the sky of some images, so other than this issue I experienced no problems over 4 years of heavy use.

Since September of last year I mostly have been shooting my SL, but there is some charm and elegance in my MM because it is now an old and retro digital camera that is very basic and simple.

Had to set up the clipping indicators. Seems like Leica updated my firmware. Something I never did. Purchased over 4 years ago for $8K, I figure if I get another 4 years of trouble free service that the camera at that time would be a free camera, and I can still see me still shooting it a decade from now.

Cal
Good news Cal...

My original MM is still my favorite digital camera period.

Old 03-20-2017   #92
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Good news Cal...

My original MM is still my favorite digital camera period.
Allen,

After owning my SL for a few months it seems that shooting my MM is like coming home. With only the basics there seems to be an organic simplicity that is very satisfying. I know the M-246 is much more advanced in almost every way, but there is something to be said about the elegance of the original Monochrom.

BTW the CCD sensor makes wonderful files that has the mids of larger formats.

I already print kinda big and have outstanding IQ, so do I really need more dynamic range, higher ISO, or even more shadow detail?

Anyways always a fun camera. I can easily see the fun continuing a decade from now. Buying my MM over 4 years ago was some of the best money I ever spent.

Cal

Old 03-20-2017   #93
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Allen,

After owning my SL for a few months it seems that shooting my MM is like coming home. With only the basics there seems to be an organic simplicity that is very satisfying. I know the M-246 is much more advanced in almost every way, but there is something to be said about the elegance of the original Monochrom.

BTW the CCD sensor makes wonderful files that has the mids of larger formats.

I already print kinda big and have outstanding IQ, so do I really need more dynamic range, higher ISO, or even more shadow detail?

Anyways always a fun camera. I can easily see the fun continuing a decade from now. Buying my MM over 4 years ago was some of the best money I ever spent.

Cal

I agree with you. I love my original MM and I came to Leica for the stuff many of it's models don't have. Plus the files from the original MM are just what you describe. My M 262 and my M-E I use for my color work.

My MM is about 4 1/2 years old also and I did send it in last year and they said at that time the sensor did not need replacing. I will send it when I see problems but until then I am going to use it as often as I can and if there is an issue i will send it back. I see myself shooting with this camera until it dies and I can no longer get it repaired.

Glad to see that you have it back in your hands....

Old 03-20-2017   #94
johnwolf

Quote:
Friday I got my Monochrom back from Leica. I was told 8-10 weeks, but it actually was 12 weeks turnaround.
That's a familiar story. Exactly my experience.

John

Old 03-20-2017   #95
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
I agree with you. I love my original MM and I came to Leica for the stuff many of it's models don't have. Plus the files from the original MM are just what you describe. My M 262 and my M-E I use for my color work.

My MM is about 4 1/2 years old also and I did send it in last year and they said at that time the sensor did not need replacing. I will send it when I see problems but until then I am going to use it as often as I can and if there is an issue i will send it back. I see myself shooting with this camera until it dies and I can no longer get it repaired.

Glad to see that you have it back in your hands....
Allen,

I know you heavily use your Monochrom also. Know that I used the waiting list to avoid waiting 6 months like others I know for the long turn around.

For me my old and primitive MM is the digital camera that is most like shooting a film camera. I get the same simple pleasure.

I love my SL, but being with out my MM has stirred some bad jonesing for a huge film binge.

On my receipt I learned it took 4 hours to replace the sensor and adjust the electronics. Mapping?

I only had a few spots of corrosion. My Visible dust cleaning system did nothing to get rid of these spots that occured in my sky on only some shots.

Cal

Old 03-23-2017   #96
tightsqueez

This thread needs to be buried... it's become a film vs. digital zombie. While there are a few of us out there who make images with film, digital or both, there are those who for the life of them cannot make a decent with either. Those people find threads like this and argue the stupidest points and suck the conversation dry.

The OP has purchased a Monochrom and moved on, and so should this thread.

Old 03-23-2017   #97
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightsqueez View Post
This thread needs to be buried... it's become a film vs. digital zombie. While there are a few of us out there who make images with film, digital or both, there are those who for the life of them cannot make a decent with either. Those people find threads like this and argue the stupidest points and suck the conversation dry.

The OP has purchased a Monochrom and moved on, and so should this thread.
I'm cool with getting rid of all the negativity in this thread. Never thought I would have to come up with terms like "Camera Facists" or "Camera Supremacists" to describe posters in RFF.

I thought when we registered as members we pledged to be kind and respectful. Oh-well I say. The problem I see is that it is not only in this thread, so deleting this post only curbs part of the problem.

Cal

Old 03-23-2017   #98
tightsqueez

Quote:
I'm cool with getting rid of all the negativity in this thread. Never thought I would have to come up with terms like "Camera Facists" or "Camera Supremacists" to describe posters in RFF.

I thought when we registered as members we pledged to be kind and respectful. Oh-well I say. The problem I see is that it is not only in this thread, so deleting this post only curbs part of the problem.

Cal
I agree Cal. Comes with the territory I suppose. I'd be cool if one of the prerequisites for the forum was for everyone to meet once a year... differences could finally be settled after a few beers out in the back alley. Ha ha.

Forums are like dark petri dishes, but putting a face to face with people seems to sterilize things a bit.

Old 03-23-2017   #99
johnwolf

I never used the ignore list before this year, but doing so has improved my RFF experience.

Among the few things that will land one there is injecting film-is-superior dogmatism where that issue is not the topic. Pretty sick of that one.

John

Old 03-23-2017   #100
Michael Markey

I've never had to use it john but Like you I'm tired of the old film /digital debate
Good news that you got your MM back Cal ....

Old 03-23-2017   #101
DwF

I am sitting at JFK after a nice if short visit here. Waiting for my flight, I settled in and picked this thread up where it began 3 days ago, enjoying the back and forth, nice to see the enthusiasm for the Monochrom M9M that we know and love. I will leave it at that and add a pic just for mood change.

Passing by the Silver Towers here, I never realized or must have forgotten the Bust of Silvette by Picasso. So we have Pei and Picasso together in this lovely plaza at NYU. This was what I felt I could capture with the 28mm that was mounted on my camera.

I know, it really should be posted elsewhere......

Old 03-23-2017   #102
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

There is a clarity or crispness to the files from a ccd sensor. I have an M9 and every time I see a Mono for sale I'm sorely tempted. Silly waste of money but then so much of what I have is.

Old 03-24-2017   #103
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwF View Post
I am sitting at JFK after a nice if short visit here. Waiting for my flight, I settled in and picked this thread up where it began 3 days ago, enjoying the back and forth, nice to see the enthusiasm for the Monochrom M9M that we know and love. I will leave it at that and add a pic just for mood change.

Passing by the Silver Towers here, I never realized or must have forgotten the Bust of Silvette by Picasso. So we have Pei and Picasso together in this lovely plaza at NYU. This was what I felt I could capture with the 28mm that was mounted on my camera.

I know, it really should be posted elsewhere......
Really nice clouds. At this point, even though the MM is not that old, it is a retro camera. The MM most emulates the shooting film experience for me even though it is a digital camera.

The M246 is way more advanced.

Cal

Old 03-24-2017   #104
DwF

Thanks Cal, and on a separate note, I should have stumbled on this thread and you with your handle sooner so I good get your recommendation on your favorite place for Calzone! Actually I stayed out on the Island and there is a place get pie that is really good.....just a neighborhood place

Darthfeeble, we should be egging you on to get that MM for no other reason than to affirm the existence of this over-hashed thread!

Old 03-24-2017   #105
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Thanks Cal, and on a separate note, I should have stumbled on this thread and you with your handle sooner so I good get your recommendation on your favorite place for Calzone! Actually I stayed out on the Island and there is a place get pie that is really good.....just a neighborhood place

Darthfeeble, we should be egging you on to get that MM for no other reason than to affirm the existence of this over-hashed thread!
D,

PM me the next time you get to NYC. The world is not that big.

Funny thing is that some people when they meet me were expecting a tough guy from Brooklyn. They were't expecting a tall skinny Asian.

Back on topic: I do believe the original MM will be revered one day for its retro style, its simplicity, and all the warts and limitations will be looked upon as being cool. Even a decade from now I can see that the files will still be looked upon as being great and kinda special.

Also it remains a fun camera.

Cal

Old 03-24-2017   #106
airfrogusmc

Cal, I couldn't agree more.

If anyone is on the fence about picking this camera up, if you have the $$$ I would highly recommend it.

Old 03-24-2017   #107
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Cal, I couldn't agree more.

If anyone is on the fence about picking this camera up, if you have the $$$ I would highly recommend it.
Allen,

You and I know that the awful LCD screen is really only used to view the histogram and clipping indicators to check exposure, so other than that who cares about resolution. Nothing like a 27 inch EIZO if you want to check resolution, except perhaps a 30 inch NEC calibrated monitor.

The Monochrom has the badge of honor as being the most demanding digital camera to shoot. It certainly made me better at exposure because it is the most unforgiving if you overexpose. The highlights are gone forever and are not recoverable like in a color camera. Also the M-246 with it's higher dynamic range and CMOS sensor certainly is more forgiving camera to shoot.

But if you really want to learn how to nail exposure the original MM with its unforgiving nature is the best tool to learn how to really nail exposure. The nice thing is the ten-zone histogram along with the clipping indicators is all you need to become a better shooter. The MM has made me a better film shooter.

I have the right skin tone for using the back of my hand as a "Grey Card." When you nail exposure shooting as far to the right as possible without blowing the highlights one is well rewarded.

No frills and retro for me is all I need.

Cal

Old 03-24-2017   #108
airfrogusmc

Cal, I actually used to use my palm and open up a stop. Palm being about zone VI.

Yes I use an LCD the same way I would a polaroid. A lot of time I don't even check it. The M-D always appealed to me and if they would have made an M-D monochrome I might have opened the wallet. But I like you just love my original MM. When you shoot with it enough you learn how to not let the highlight blow out. If it's a sunny day I meter the shadow side of the street and the sunny side and remember that and adjust accordingly.

I actually got good with exposure first with learning the zone system decades ago and from shooting a lot of transparency film. They to are not forgiving especially concerning the shoulder of the film curve. If the info isn't there the film is clear.

Old 03-24-2017   #109
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:

I actually got good with exposure first with learning the zone system decades ago and from shooting a lot of transparency film. They to are not forgiving especially concerning the shoulder of the film curve. If the info isn't there the film is clear.
Allen,

You can't print what's not there.

I never had the money to afford color. By default I became a B&W shooter due to economics, and of course I got good at my own processing.

I totally understand how slides require a level of perfection. I just never had the opportunity like you.

Cal

Old 03-24-2017   #110
DwF

Quote:
D,

PM me the next time you get to NYC. The world is not that big.

Funny thing is that some people when they meet me were expecting a tough guy from Brooklyn. They were't expecting a tall skinny Asian.

Back on topic: I do believe the original MM will be revered one day for its retro style, its simplicity, and all the warts and limitations will be looked upon as being cool. Even a decade from now I can see that the files will still be looked upon as being great and kinda special.

Also it remains a fun camera.

Cal
Cal, no the world is not that big. In the 70s for a short time I pushed a hack Manhattan. One time, pulling my checker up in front of the Garden, as my fare jumped out a lady approached to get in. It was my ex girl friend's mom!

I agree the MM is special and of course the points regarding exposure, the worthless LCD and over-exposure. I traded my M9 away when traveling I stumbled on the MM and both the deal and timing felt just right. In addition to a camera, I knew I was going to grow with this one.

David

Old 03-24-2017   #111
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Cal, no the world is not that big. In the 70s for a short time I pushed a hack Manhattan. One time, pulling my checker up in front of the Garden, as my fare jumped out a lady approached to get in. It was my ex girl friend's mom!

I agree the MM is special and of course the points regarding exposure, the worthless LCD and over-exposure. I traded my M9 away when traveling I stumbled on the MM and both the deal and timing felt just right. In addition to a camera, I knew I was going to grow with this one.

David
David,

Back in the late 70's I drove a hack for a summer. Really taught me how to be an aggressive driver. LOL. I did nights and weekends for the extra danger. Not many Asian cab drivers back then. LOL.

Anyways I was able to break up two robbery attempts without getting robbed over that one summer I hacked. In the late 70's being a hack was considered more dangerous than being a cop or fireman.

When you make it back to NYC, bring your Monochrom. I am lucky to live in a shooter's paradise.

Interesting to note that my other digital camera is the SL and I just got my backordered 50 Lux-SL. In comparing the primitive and minimalist to the very advanced I know both ends of the spectrum, and because of the SL I really appreciate the MM even more.

Cal

Old 03-24-2017   #112
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
... Asian cab ...
Asian or South Asian?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Mohammed.html

Old 03-24-2017   #113
DwF

Cal,

Did you drive out of Astoria back then? I used to pick mine up right by the bridge entrance on 23rd. They wouldn't supply us a spare as a way of restricting us part-timers to the boroughs; if we got a call to Saratoga, we were to give the call to an owner/driver.....fun times

I will try and connect next time. Yes, NY is a fun place to shoot. I know the SL is a great camera but I found the size an issue, and the M design does what I need it to.

Old 03-24-2017   #114
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Ko.Fe.

In my case I say Asian because I ethnically am Chinese and specifically Cantonese. The Cantonese are kinda distinguished from Chinese in the same manner that New Yorkers are distinguished from Americans. Interesting to note that in Canton due to its geography (fortress like ring of mountains) was considered ungovernable for almost 1000 years while the rest of China was unified. Feudilism existed for a very long time (about 900 years), and when China decided to try and limit western influence to Canton, it only worsened matters.

I kinda appreciate the distinction of India as a subcontinent with its own culture, influences, and differences. It is mighty big, varied, and vast.

Also the Southeast part of Asia has its own distinctions...

You bring up a good point about how geography is important. BTW New York and Canton have a very similar geography and have military importance. Also know that the Cantonese are a bit like New Yorkers who are known to be rude and aggressive. LOL.

BTW the experience of being a NYC cab driver really helped develope and process aggression that I think I have a genetic predisposition. I think as being Cantonese that we were kinda breed for fighting. It is deeply seated in our history.

Interesting to note that the cowboy name "Calvin" is not popular. LOL.

As you can see, part of being Cantonese is going off topic, my apologies... but to me the Monochrom is a great camera warts and all.

Cal

Old 03-24-2017   #115
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Cal,

Did you drive out of Astoria back then? I used to pick mine up right by the bridge entrance on 23rd. They wouldn't supply us a spare as a way of restricting us part-timers to the boroughs; if we got a call to Saratoga, we were to give the call to an owner/driver.....fun times

I will try and connect next time. Yes, NY is a fun place to shoot. I know the SL is a great camera but I found the size an issue, and the M design does what I need it to.
David,

My garage was in Brooklyn off of Ocean Avenue. Pretty much hacking was a learning experience, and I learned a lot about myself.

I had the front ends collapse on a few cabs where any bump caused the tires to rub against the wheel wells on the old big Dodges. When I called the garage I was directed to try and drive the disabled cab back into Brooklyn. Of course this was always at night. As you know the general attitude in NYC was "I don't care, and oh-well," at the time.

Anyways I learned offensive driving and was and still am a kinda crazy driver. I like to think that way back when I started the stereotype of the crazy Asian driver single handedly way back when. LOL.

It has been said that I kinda drive like a fighter pilot. LOL.

Back on topic: the Monochrom is truely a great camera.

Cal

Old 03-24-2017   #116
lamefrog

Cal ,

I never quite mastered exposure with my 1st generation Monochrom (my fault certainly) . I had so many photos ruined by blown highlights that I stopped using it altogether and went back to film exclusively. I shot with it for a year and towards the end I was exposing everything arbitrarily at -2 or -3 compensation -- with unsatisfactory results. I never liked the highlights curve , even when in range. I found it to be an amazing camera for both low-contrast and low-light scenes however.

Philippe

Old 03-27-2017   #117
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamefrog View Post
Cal ,

I never quite mastered exposure with my 1st generation Monochrom (my fault certainly) . I had so many photos ruined by blown highlights that I stopped using it altogether and went back to film exclusively. I shot with it for a year and towards the end I was exposing everything arbitrarily at -2 or -3 compensation -- with unsatisfactory results. I never liked the highlights curve , even when in range. I found it to be an amazing camera for both low-contrast and low-light scenes however.

Philippe
Philippe,

I can see having difficulties. Like I stated it is the most difficult digital camera, and is totally unforgiving. Know that if you want you can borrow it to use when we go to Philly. I have described elsewhere how I use Heliopan "Digital" filters to curb or eliminate the clipping.

I know you are mostly a 50 man. All you need is a SD card. Although I never have needed more than two batteries some how I have three, (John C. gifted me one from a M9).

Pretty much the histogram and the clipping indicators will make it easy to nail exposure. Also I grey card using the back of my hand. For you having lighter skin all you need is to know the offset. I use a 2X yellow and this minimizes post because I get my contrast at image capture.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cal

Old 03-27-2017   #118
DwF

Hey Cal,

Just saw your last response re -driving: I know what you mean also about the front-ends of taxis. I recall with both Checkers and then Dodges, occasionally getting a car where I'd have to hold the wheel in place to keep the poorly or unaligned vehicle in a straight line- fun on 59th street bridge where back then, it was easy to jump to oncoming lane! Also the late seventies Dodges had carburetors that coughed and bucked before accelerating at a light If we meet up with Leicas, we'll both be on foot for sure! That way, neither of us will need to endure the others offensive driving! Mine has become tempered when I drive in normal places but nice to have it when in NYC or Europe.... David

Old 03-27-2017   #119
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Hey Cal,

Just saw your last response re -driving: I know what you mean also about the front-ends of taxis. I recall with both Checkers and then Dodges, occasionally getting a car where I'd have to hold the wheel in place to keep the poorly or unaligned vehicle in a straight line- fun on 59th street bridge where back then, it was easy to jump to oncoming lane! Also the late seventies Dodges had carburetors that coughed and bucked before accelerating at a light If we meet up with Leicas, we'll both be on foot for sure! That way, neither of us will need to endure the others offensive driving! Mine has become tempered when I drive in normal places but nice to have it when in NYC or Europe.... David
David,

There was one cab in my garage that had a horn that didn't work and trying to get through a shift. LOL.

Also know that in 1985 I bought a 1980 Checker limo. A very interesting car: only about 200 ever made (from the Checker factory); black vinyl top; opera window; and a rearward facing split bench seat for 9 adult seating capacity. My limo had a posi rear and was V-8 powered.

Now imagine a Checker stretched about a foot in wheelbase with longer doors and a huge chromed grill in dark navy blue. The interior was so vast I could fit my 10 foot on piece surf fishing rod into the car diagonally and I could close/lock the door with the windows rolled up. The airconditioner had an evaporator in the trunk.

Anyways this car had mucho personality. Wish I still had it. Basically a Checker is a car body built on a Chevy x-frame pick-up truck chassis. While a regular Checker was built on a short-bed, my limo was built on a long-bed chassis. Also know that it rode like a limo. Way cool and definitely an art car out on "Lawn-Guy-Land."

Cal

Old 03-27-2017   #120
DwF

Quote:
David,

There was one cab in my garage that had a horn that didn't work and trying to get through a shift. LOL.

Also know that in 1985 I bought a 1980 Checker limo. A very interesting car: only about 200 ever made (from the Checker factory); black vinyl top; opera window; and a rearward facing split bench seat for 9 adult seating capacity. My limo had a posi rear and was V-8 powered.

Now imagine a Checker stretched about a foot in wheelbase with longer doors and a huge chromed grill in dark navy blue. The interior was so vast I could fit my 10 foot on piece surf fishing rod into the car diagonally and I could close/lock the door with the windows rolled up. The airconditioner had an evaporator in the trunk.

Anyways this car had mucho personality. Wish I still had it. Basically a Checker is a car body built on a Chevy x-frame pick-up truck chassis. While a regular Checker was built on a short-bed, my limo was built on a long-bed chassis. Also know that it rode like a limo. Way cool and definitely an art car out on "Lawn-Guy-Land."

Cal
You are indeed a Vintage Hipster Calzone. That Checker sounds great. I remember we weren't wearing seat belts driving those. The bench seats allowed me to bounce around and somehow (maybe my youth) my back was fine at the end of a 10-hour shift. I was driving on the Island (Nassau County) most of my time driving taxi and we'd get these rains causing flash floods; the Checker would get through big puddles just fine. If you have a picture of your old Limo you should post it!

P.S. to stay on topic, not sure what the market is doing today but the MM is still a good buy! And yes to the Heliopan Filter....