Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE

Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE This forum is about all things Leica CL and Minolta CLE, remarkable compact M cameras

Leica Summicron-m 35mm ASPH f/2
Old 02-11-2017   #1
clecal

Leica Summicron-m 35mm ASPH f/2

Has anyone used a Leica Summicron-m 35mm ASPH f/2 on the Minolta CLE? I know the rear element extends past the mount bayonet but I've read that there's no problem with the ASPH? Got a Minolta CLE and using it with my summarit 50mm f/2.4. Just wanted to try film against my m240 before I invested in something like a m6 or m7.

Old 02-11-2017   #2
Doug

You're thinking a lens that protrudes into the camera behind the mounting flange might interfere with something in there? No concern there with the CLE... people hear about such interference with the Leica/Minolta CL, and that is caused by a moving arm holding the meter cell. This does not apply to the Minolta CLE, a totally different camera. A marvelous little camera! You'll be fine with the 35 Summicron ASPH.

Edit: But, with the 35mm lens the CLE will show only the 28mm framelines... as mounting your 50mm lens adds the 40mm framelines in addition.

Old 02-12-2017   #3
fimbul

Quote:
Originally Posted by clecal View Post
Has anyone used a Leica Summicron-m 35mm ASPH f/2 on the Minolta CLE?
I have tried, and it does not fit.

Old 02-12-2017   #4
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimbul View Post
I have tried, and it does not fit.
What was the problem with the fit?

Old 02-12-2017   #5
john_s

Ken Rockwell has some comments about this at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/cle.htm

In his opinion the ASPH is ok whilst the non_ASPH 35 Summicron is not.

I am not vouching for his accuracy, by the way, I just noticed it when I had a look to see what a CLE was like (which is very nice!)

Old 02-12-2017   #6
Doug

There has been mention of the pre-ASPH 35 Summilux having a hardware interference with some M bodies, but I've never heard of such with any 35 Summicron... of course that just means I've not heard of it!

I just fitted my v.1 Summicron 35mm to a CLE. It fits fine and the focus is smooth from nearest to farthest. RF patch moves appropriately. I've never shot any film with this Summicron on the CLE, just the 28mm Summicron, but it seems to function properly. I don't have a 35 cron ASPH to try... but the pre-FLE 35 Summilux ASPH also fits and functions fine.

The cited article also mentions the goggled lenses not bringing up matching framelines, but fails to warn that the CLE window locations are wrong for the goggles to work, so those lenses are not really useful on this camera (or the CL, M5).

Old 02-13-2017   #7
fimbul

The metering cell is on the bottom of the CLE, and take up some space. The back end of the 35 cron ASPH is too big, or too wide in diameter. The back end of the lens touches the metering cell. It is impossible to fit it.
But the back end of Elmarit 28/2.8 ASPH have smaller diameter, so it fits very nice.