Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Photobucket Hosting Changes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Photobucket Hosting Changes

It seems that Photobucket, who I have used as a host for over ten years has suddenly decided to replace every image link with an ad unless I pay them $40 a month. I can't see spending that kind of money, and going back and re-uploading everything to my new Flickr and then re-linking ten years of posts is really daunting, so sorry. I've contacted customer "support" but they don't seem to give a feck. Hopefully the ad will be replaced by the images again at some point, it really seems sleazy. They have been getting more and more obnoxious with screen filling ads for questionable websites that require reloading the page to dismiss, so I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that they've leveraged a decade of hosted photographs by so many into free advertisers. My advice is to avoid them like the plague.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
back alley
IMAGES

well that kinda sucks...

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Peter Jennings

Sorry to hear this, Bob. I suppose it's the nature of the internet that nothing is permanent. Many older threads are already filled with empty image placeholders.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
splitimageview

any apology should come from Photobucket. They are pretty much getting reamed, but it appears (so far) that they are not going to change their minds...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
johnwolf

No apology necessary. Last time something like this happened to me, I decided to use Flickr for hosting forum and tumblr images, thinking it would be free and stable forever. But who knows what Verizon will do with it. If the worst happens, RFF threads will be empty indeed.

John

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Ronald M

At some point Flicker was free and I added photos. Because I was a Yahoo customer or some other, I was promised a free pro account for life. A year later, I got a bill.

Moved on to Bucket.

I am done putting photos on the net.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

I am quite happy with smugmug. Roland recommended it, I think.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I've been wondering if there is any means within the forum software to cache image links from when the lists are made or last edited? I too have seen many "missing" image links here and elsewhere, seems like this should have a workaround of some sort.

I do wish it was not hundreds if not two thousand Photobucket ads coming from me, especially now that they are such pr1cks about it. Perhaps a class action suit?...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Huss

That just happened to me Bob. So all images I have posted here are now missing/populated with whatever photobucket has replaced them with.

The process they used to get to this point was sleazy. They first started to pump my account with more and more pop ups, with the advice to pay extra to remove the ads. When I didn't bite, they sent me a note saying that I was in violation of their recently updated terms of service by linking my images to 3rd party websites. i.e. like this one.

It's alright, I don't need to post the pics. Everyone knows how amazing they are anyway.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I just went there and grabbed a link which I seemed to able to do as per usual with no problems.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

And I do have the basic free account. What gives?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
lynnb

Always knew you had the magic touch Keith!
- it does seem strange.

I raised the question of how to identify and remove orphan image links in thread posts a year or two ago and I think the answer was it's not possible to automate that. The safest option is to link to pics in the RFF gallery - but that's not always desirable or practicable.

Bob - no apology necessary, the digital age has its drawbacks!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
ptpdprinter

So I guess that all those photographers who were using Photobucket to host their images are now not going to be using Photobucket for prints.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Emile de Leon

Photobucket still works for me...! For now...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Photobucket still works for me...! For now...

That was my thought ... they haven't got around to screwing us yet! lol

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
easyrider
Photo addict

Have people stopped printing their images and creating photo books? Storage on the Internet may not be permanent. Best to keep your "negatives" on a hard drive -- but even these will deteriorate over time.
I use Smugmug as well as a hard drive. Don't like Smugmug's redesign very much but it's Ok for storage and for delivering images.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
splitimageview

There are add-ons for some forum software that will take links and convert them to attachments. Not sure if this is available for vbulletin.

Some image links are obviously still working

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
Sym101

I'm just guessing, but usually for a company to do such radical and in this case, unpleasant changes, there could have been a change in photobucket's management.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
Have people stopped printing their images and creating photo books? Storage on the Internet may not be permanent. Best to keep your "negatives" on a hard drive -- but even these will deteriorate over time.
I use Smugmug as well as a hard drive. Don't like Smugmug's redesign very much but it's Ok for storage and for delivering images.
Sites like photobucket are just so I can goof around and post stuff on websites like this one.
My real shots are elsewhere and printed.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
At some point Flicker was free and I added photos. Because I was a Yahoo customer or some other, I was promised a free pro account for life. A year later, I got a bill.

Moved on to Bucket.

I am done putting photos on the net.
Flickr is still free and I'm still using it, they are a solid solution.

The only way to avoid this is to pony up and pay for hosting someplace. I would not be surprised if Flickr went this route down the road as well.

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21
back alley
IMAGES

i still have a 'pro' account at flickr...pay 25 bucks a year and have no problems with the site afa posting pics...and no adds...

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
Emile de Leon

Photobucket just nixed me...lol..time to switch..

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
Pioneer

Well, I guess all my links will be switched soon, if not already, since I have also been using Photobucket for several years.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
jarski

been using Google Photos for a while now (few years). it works best on Android devices, but is avail for Apple ecosystem too. for sharing on forums and blogs, its not the best solution least yet, but I've grown to like how well it works with everything else.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
bonatto
looking out

**** the MBAs

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
Jockos

This case really represents the 'danger' with cloud computing. You've left you data in the hands of another, and you're basically at their mercy.

Hosting yourself is the only option to be responsible for your own data.

Da gallery

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27
Rune

I've used Photobucket as well, but yesterday I deleted my account and all images on the site. I really don't want to be held hostage by those guys, so deletion of account was the only real option.

Additionally, there are quite a few troublesome issues in their terms of use, for instance this one:
"When you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, non-revocable, right and license to copy, sell, convey, distribute, stream, post, publicly display (e.g. post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or is later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose with the right to sublicense such rights to others."

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28
Doug

I have noticed that recently there are a lot of broken links for thread photos from Photo Bucket... now I know why!

In this sort of pickle, I think I'd dig through my RFF posts looking for ones with linked photos... tedious if you have a bunch... and then it appears that RFF presents you with only the most recent 1000. Of course you'd want to replace those links with fresh ones to the same pics hosted elsewhere... What a chore, easier to identify before the old links break... good luck!

Other than the 6 or so pics uploaded to Flickr to see how it worked, all my online photos are here in the RFF Gallery. It's been easy to post links to those pics to other websites as well as RFF threads.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

For a pay option Zenfolio is pretty decent and the presentation is very good.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is why I have always advised photographers to have their own personal websites. If you own the site, you control it, and no one can screw you.

Yes, it costs money to buy a domain name (about $15 a year) and to pay a hosing company ($10-$20 a month), and I know some people stamp their feet and cry when told to pay for something online, but that is really not much money to have full control over your web presence. And yes, you may have to pay someone to design it if you don't have the skills to do web design. So what; most of you guys have spent enormous sums of money on gear. Some of you have $20,000 or more in Leica lenses and bodies. If you can afford that, you can afford a website.

There is no such thing as 'free.' Look at all the hand-wringing over the terms of service of companies like Flickr, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Fears that they'll sell your images, etc. Never had to worry about that; my images are on my website where I pay a reputable hosting company to serve the site to visitors.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Last edited by Chriscrawfordphoto : 2 Weeks Ago at 02:26. Reason: fixed a typo

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
peterm1

I effectively gave up on Photobucket years ago. It went downhill perhaps 10 years back and more recently it is far worse than it was even back then. It just became so ugly and demoralizing to look at and use. And more recently it is also slow, buggy and dysfunctional. I pay $25 per year at Flickr for pro membership and am happy with their site. I am not sure if this rate is still open as I seem to recall it was a short term offer when they started taking adverts some years ago open to existing members. I have only used Photobucket in more recent years for hosting a few (very few) images that I did not want on Flickr and which I used for the RFF site for example when I needed to post an image to one of my posts. A few weeks back I tried to access an image I knew I had on Photobucket to post in a thread and it was horrible - just as you said every click was a new advert. It is also slow and buggy to upload to and navigate. Anyone paying $40 would have rocks in their head as its way way way over what you would get for your money even without the adverts.
My only (small) gripe with Flickr are the limited options available for layout and presentation.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
...The process they used to get to this point was sleazy. They first started to pump my account with more and more pop ups, with the advice to pay extra to remove the ads. When I didn't bite, they sent me a note saying that I was in violation of their recently updated terms of service by linking my images to 3rd party websites. i.e. like this one...
Exactly the MO they used with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Maybe if I get to Photobucket through an Australian VPN....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So I guess that all those photographers who were using Photobucket to host their images are now not going to be using Photobucket for prints.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
...And more recently it is also slow, buggy and dysfunctional...
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
I've used Photobucket as well, but yesterday I deleted my account and all images on the site...
And your old posts don't show the ad, only the old "Photo Not Found" image.

I suppose I should also delete the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
...my images are on my website where I pay a reputable hosting company to serve the site to visitors.
And do you post images here that reside on your own site? If I can generate an IMG link that might be simplest.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
jarski

Quote:
This is why I have always advised photographers to have their own personal websites. ...
problem with such websites is that they continue cost you in plugging security holes and other maintenance. and when Google, Apple, Microsoft, Firefox develop their browsers, they may break something that your website depend on. so, enter re-development costs that often come without warning.

(IMO) old style websites fit quite poorly to this age mobile apps, social media integration and presence on search engines. least, unless you have budget big enough to tackle these issues.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
gnuyork

I use my own hosting through Blue Host (for my website that I have never built and keep meaning to ). I can't remember what it is per month, I usually pay 2 years in advance. It's really not too much if I recall.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
icebear

I always uploaded images directly to my RFF gallery and copy&paste from there into any thread. It's no the most convenient process but if you do it on a regular basis it becomes easy enough.

As others mentioned already, in the end there is no such thing like a free lunch.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
And do you post images here that reside on your own site? If I can generate an IMG link that might be simplest.
Yep, all the images I post in my "Photos from Ft. Wayne" thread and in other RFF threads are hosted on my website. Its completely painless to do. I just right click the image on my site, choose "Copy image location" and then paste the resulting address for the image into the RFF thread using the IMG button or IMG tags.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Keith, I think what works for you is you are in Australia, looks like the new PB rules don't apply there.

Consumer protection laws? Or they just haven't got around to you yet?

In Classifieds Now: Olympus PEN EE with original leather case
More photos, descriptions of for sale items on this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Yep, all the images I post in my "Photos from Ft. Wayne" thread and in other RFF threads are hosted on my website. Its completely painless to do. I just right click the image on my site, choose "Copy image location" and then paste the resulting address for the image into the RFF thread using the IMG button or IMG tags.
I shall give this a try.

Easy peasy! Thanks.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I shall give this a try.

Easy peasy! Thanks.

Cool abstract images. I like them!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
This is why I have always advised photographers to have their own personal websites. If you own the site, you control it, and no one can screw you.

Yes, it costs money to buy a domain name (about $15 a year) and to pay a hosing company ($10-$20 a month), and I know some people stamp their feet and cry when told to pay for something online, but that is really not much money to have full control over your web presence. And yes, you may have to pay someone to design it if you don't have the skills to do web design. So what; most of you guys have spent enormous sums of money on gear. Some of you have $20,000 or more in Leica lenses and bodies. If you can afford that, you can afford a website.

There is no such thing as 'free.' Look at all the hand-wringing over the terms of service of companies like Flickr, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Fears that they'll sell your images, etc. Never had to worry about that; my images are on my website where I pay a reputable hosting company to serve the site to visitors.
Chris,

Thanks for this post. I have no online presence, but I see wisdom in having control over my rights and content.

A website seems the way to go.

Cal