Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Olympus PEN (the first) clean and repair
Old 02-11-2015   #1
bola_dor

Olympus PEN (the first) clean and repair

Hi,
I have an Oly PEN , (plain PEN, no EE, no nothing). the 1959 model.
Needs lens cleaning and light seals to be repaired..

I couldnīt find any reference to this via Google nor in this forum.
So is there any reference you can point me to??
Any advice about ho to??
I thin this is fixed focus and I donīt want to spoil it
and
How is this camera usually referenced as "Olympus PEN" is now very unspecific as there are lot of models with this name..
(imagine what [Olympus PEN repair ] will get at Google...)

Thanks!!!

Old 02-11-2015   #2
Ranchu
-

If the lens needs cleaning inside, send it to a professional, pay them. If not, I think it has B, clean the rear lens with a little 91% alcohol on a q tip. I have one of these, but my shutter doesn't open. Someday I'll send it out.

Old 02-11-2015   #3
02Pilot
Malcontent

I haven't worked on that particular PEN variant, but from the look of it it should be pretty easy to work on.

Light seals are simple: remove the remnants of the old stuff with Ronsonol and toothpicks, then replace with the material of your choice (cut with a razor blade and a straight edge) - I prefer closed-cell craft foam, but there are other materials that will work as well.

Getting into the lens will require a spanner. If this is like the other later PENs with the four-element lens, it is front-cell focusing, which means you have to mark the position of the front element once you get the retaining ring off, and note where it leaves the threads when you remove it; you must install it at the same starting point and get the marks you made to line up when you reinstall. It's good practice to recheck the focus with a ground glass and a loupe when you do this.

If you're not comfortable with this and/or you don't have the necessary tools, then yes, by all means let someone else take care of it for you.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 02-11-2015   #4
bola_dor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
If the lens needs cleaning inside, send it to a professional, pay them. If not, I think it has B, clean the rear lens with a little 91% alcohol on a q tip. I have one of these, but my shutter doesn't open. Someday I'll send it out.
I`lle check were the problem is
That would be just great...
Thank you!

Old 02-11-2015   #5
bola_dor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
I haven't worked on that particular PEN variant, but from the look of it it should be pretty easy to work on.

Light seals are simple: remove the remnants of the old stuff with Ronsonol and toothpicks, then replace with the material of your choice (cut with a razor blade and a straight edge) - I prefer closed-cell craft foam, but there are other materials that will work as well.

Getting into the lens will require a spanner. If this is like the other later PENs with the four-element lens, it is front-cell focusing, which means you have to mark the position of the front element once you get the retaining ring off, and note where it leaves the threads when you remove it; you must install it at the same starting point and get the marks you made to line up when you reinstall. It's good practice to recheck the focus with a ground glass and a loupe when you do this.

If you're not comfortable with this and/or you don't have the necessary tools, then yes, by all means let someone else take care of it for you.
well perhaps I should let a pro to mess with the lens,, yes as a D Zuiko is a four elements lens,, as in the manual there is a diagram of it..

Thanks !!

Old 02-11-2015   #6
Ranchu
-

If you send it out, remind the repair person that the pinface screw in the center of the exposure counter is reverse thread..

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=137838

Old 02-11-2015   #7
bola_dor

Quote:
If you send it out, remind the repair person that the pinface screw in the center of the exposure counter is reverse thread..

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=137838
Well thats a great thread. I've bookmarked it.
is it needed to remove the top cover to acces the lens.???
thanks!!

Old 02-11-2015   #8
Ranchu
-

Not to just clean the rear lens surface while you hold B. To take out the lens elements and clean them, I'm not sure. In many cameras the shutter is mounted on a front plate that is under the leatherette. The top cover usually goes over the top edge of this plate, so, if you have to get the front plate off to get at the shutter/lens, you'll have to get the top off. Also, if you send it for service, they should clean the viewfinder for you too. Now that you've got me thinking about it, I think I'll send mine to get fixed.

Old 02-12-2015   #9
bola_dor

Quote:
Not to just clean the rear lens surface while you hold B. To take out the lens elements and clean them, I'm not sure. In many cameras the shutter is mounted on a front plate that is under the leatherette. The top cover usually goes over the top edge of this plate, so, if you have to get the front plate off to get at the shutter/lens, you'll have to get the top off. Also, if you send it for service, they should clean the viewfinder for you too. Now that you've got me thinking about it, I think I'll send mine to get fixed.
thanks ,,
Iīll let you know...

Old 07-06-2016   #10
flavio81

The whole lens is in front of the shutter, so this makes service easy.

On the other hand the lens is tiny so when removing the lens element you MUST be very careful to note which side goes "up", so you don't put the elements backward when reassembling.

This is one of the simplest cameras to work on, so i don't think any manual is necessary.

For checking infinity focus, just place a focusing screen from a 35mm SLR (like a Nikon F2, Nikon F, Canon F-1, etc) and check that the infinity stop is put correctly. It is easy.

I own the Olympus Pen S3.5 which is very similar and has the same lens. The lens is EXCELLENT and i personally guess this must be the best of all the olympus half frame lenses.

Old 07-21-2016   #11
nanthor

A very important point to be made here. After scoring up the pinface screw in my Olympus Pen I need to point out that the first edition of the camera, the one made by the sub-contractor Sanko Shoji, has a regular screw thread on it, not a reverse thread. Bob.