Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Jeremy wants a new camera!
Old 05-09-2017   #1
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Jeremy wants a new camera!

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...ameras-future/

JCH want to bring to market a new compact rangefinder camera.
I hope he does it!
http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/

Old 05-09-2017   #2
Archlich

A perfected Yasuhara T012 "Akizuki" would do for me. Better if it's made in Japan.

With a market less than 10,000, anything solid would result in a stratospheric price tag. I wish him good luck.

Old 05-09-2017   #3
Maximilian

I really hope he succeeds in getting the attention of some camera maker to take this on. Even though I am not one of the many who have emailed him, I am another person who would be thrilled to buy that camera!

Old 05-09-2017   #4
newfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...ameras-future/

JCH want to bring to market a new compact rangefinder camera.
I hope he does it!
I think he just mean a compact camera, not a rangefinder compact camera.

Old 05-09-2017   #5
f16sunshine

Fuji Klasses reboot is the most logical.
Anything from scratch is completely unrealistic.
Good luck. It's a fun idea.

Old 05-09-2017   #6
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

He doesn't want specifically rangefinder. And he thinks what "3-D" printing somehow capable of making complicated cameras as he shows. All metal.

While real "not complicated" cameras are made and sold by Lomography. Single use P&S and Lomo LC-A.

10K cameras per year is good run. 33K of M5 were made and 16K on M4-2.

Old 05-09-2017   #7
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Auto focus?
I want to turn the round thing.

Old 05-09-2017   #8
Black
Photographer.

Who's Jeremy?! >_<

Old 05-09-2017   #9
emayoh
Rangefindered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Who's Jeremy?! >_<
Jeremy is presumably the one other person besides Bellamy who is the actual market for a non-collectible non-Lomo 35mm compact film camera. He must be a big guy, since the market is apparently "huge"

Old 05-09-2017   #10
zuiko85

Too many different opinions as to the "perfect" compact. This idea sounds ok for those rich folks who don't mind plunking down a grand on a camera. That ain't me, in fact probably ain't 98% of the folks on this forum.

Old 05-09-2017   #11
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Too many different opinions as to the "perfect" compact. This idea sounds ok for those rich folks who don't mind plunking down a grand on a camera. That ain't me, in fact probably ain't 98% of the folks on this forum.
A grand and rich? I would imagine much more than 2% of the members of this community have spent a grand on a camera. I'm not trying to say $1000 isn't a lot of money, but it isn't a lot in today's camera market and many people spend a grand that are not rich.

Old 05-09-2017   #12
kxl
Social Documentary

"And demand is high, I get 20+ mails a day asking for compact cameras..."

I realize he's just one sourcer out of possibly many, but 20 inquiries per day do not equate to high demand. Still, if a company were willing to provide 2-3 models that incorporated the "best features (whatever that means)" of the following, I'd welcome it:

- Oly XA/mju
- Yashica T2-T5
- Contact T2/T3
- Hexar AF
- Nikon 35 or 28 TI
- Minolta TC-1
- Ricoh GR variants
- Fuji Klasse

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-09-2017   #13
ProSimex

More power to him, interesting article that he links to as well.

Old 05-09-2017   #14
mpaniagua

Just a thought: There is a great market for film Leicas. Just see the bay, our classified and lot so retailers. Lots of M's (from M3 to M6) are being sold and bought.

But just how many of that people are willing to buy a MP?

Same with the P/S. There is a lot of market for them but, the problem is not the market, but the fact that a new P/S will be fighting for a market share against not just the mobile phone, but the used P/S.

Wish them the best of luck.

Marcelo

Old 05-09-2017   #15
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I don't know why, but I can't stop thinking of Bellamy as "Jeremy".
In my mind I see him as a beard-toting millennial, with dreams of an air-cooled VW being produced again.
I wish him and his kind the very best of fortune.
Please don't post a picture of Jeremy, I don't want it to be spoiled.

Old 05-09-2017   #16
Taipei-metro

mijonju and bellamy together finally

photo by
t a i p e imetro

from

https://youtu.be/FZv9gbi3efQ?t=28s

TC-1 is good, Sony, what about a 2.8 remake?

by
t a i p e i metro

w Tiara Zoom Fujinon 28-56
Xtra400

Old 05-09-2017   #17
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
I don't know why, but I can't stop thinking of Bellamy as "Jeremy".
In my mind I see him as a beard-toting millennial, with dreams of an air-cooled VW being produced again.
I wish him and his kind the very best of fortune.
Please don't post a picture of Jeremy, I don't want it to be spoiled.

Close enough

Old 05-09-2017   #18
Maximilian

I feel like some here are missing the issue he is raising. There are analog rangefinders and slr's out there that are built like tanks and will last for a long time, but not so much with compacts. This is an issue opposite of that from the "rich". For example, I would love to get a new Contax T3, but there is no way I'm prepared to spend that amount of money for a camera that might not even last the month out.

If you don't see the point of having a well made compact, fair enough, but some of us love them. And if you believe only young hipsters enjoy film cameras, then that is a shame on a forum like this and I'm not prepared to take that debate.

Old 05-09-2017   #19
Ranchu
-

Something like the Lomo LCA is the only thing that makes sense to me. Scale focus, 35mm f2.8, five elements, full manual, no meter, plastic brick.

Old 05-09-2017   #20
newfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
If you don't see the point of having a well made compact, fair enough, but some of us love them. And if you believe only young hipsters enjoy film cameras, then that is a shame on a forum like this and I'm not prepared to take that debate.
Those are the opinion in your head, no on here says only hipster enjoy film camera, and certainly nothing about not seeing a point of well made compact camera (and forummers list down what they think is consider compact), the debate here is about what is consider well made, and in what price range, practicality of availability and engineering, if you are being shame there are plenty of forum available, no one tell you to debate anything.

Old 05-10-2017   #21
Maximilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfilm View Post
Those are the opinion in your head, no on here says only hipster enjoy film camera.
Didn't take many replies before things like "I see him as a beard-toting millennial, with dreams of an air-cooled VW being produced again." were mentioned about the person who is actually making an effort in doing something about a camera that I would love, but am to occupied with other things to try do to anything about myself.

I'm not saying it is going to be possible or reasonable to start producing a camera like this, I'm just sad and surprised to see the negativity regarding a dream, or a quest or what you want to call it, like this.

Old 05-10-2017   #22
Dralowid
Michael

I'd suggest putting personal opinions to one side and start thinking hard about the potential market.

Now...where is that Konica Pop?

Old 05-10-2017   #23
newfilm

Quote:
Didn't take many replies before things like "I see him as a beard-toting millennial, with dreams of an air-cooled VW being produced again." were mentioned about the person who is actually making an effort in doing something about a camera that I would love, but am to occupied with other things to try do to anything about myself.

I'm not saying it is going to be possible or reasonable to start producing a camera like this, I'm just sad and surprised to see the negativity regarding a dream, or a quest or what you want to call it, like this.
What? The JHC dude is not beard-toting, have you seen his picture? What's with you attacking how some one looks like (even if he is with beard or not)?

Old 05-10-2017   #24
Maximilian

I'm not the guy attacking what he looks like, I'm the one feels it's a shame others are. Please read the replies in this thread before jumping on me.

Old 05-10-2017   #25
newfilm

Quote:
I'm not the guy attacking what he looks like, I'm the one feels it's a shame others are. Please read the replies in this thread before jumping on me.
dude... you are making this too much about yourself, I'm taking Dralowid advice to get back to talking about camera instead of people, back to about the camera!

Some one says... Konica Pop?

Old 05-10-2017   #26
Maximilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfilm View Post
dude... you are making this too much about yourself, I'm taking Dralowid advice to get back to talking about camera instead of people, back to about the camera!

Some one says... Konica Pop?
Wait, you accuse me of attacking someone for what he looks like, and when I pointed out that I'm not the one who said anything about what he looks like, I'm all the sudden making this too much about myself? Geez.

Hope he manages to get this camera made. I'm out.

Old 05-10-2017   #27
telenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Fuji Klasses reboot is the most logical.
Anything from scratch is completely unrealistic.
Good luck. It's a fun idea.
Quite. A Fuji Klasse S reissue with the 38/2.6 would be really nice. Fuji has issued a few film cameras (albeit medium format), so perhaps the will is still there. What worries me about the prospect of one such (or similar) camera is what someone commented in JCH post, i.e. that the source for shutters (Copal) is not available any more.

flickr

"We stopped a bit further down from Amchit and looked at the sun sinking in the quiet Sea of Phoenix. Yet, why is it that sometimes one sees things clearly -- I mean to say, as when the camera is appropriately set." George Seferis

Old 05-10-2017   #28
newfilm

Quote:
Wait, you accuse me of attacking someone for what he looks like, and when I pointed out that I'm not the one who said anything about what he looks like, I'm all the sudden making this too much about myself? Geez.
Yes, for that indeed I owe you an apology (I should have been putting that in the post above).

Old 05-10-2017   #29
Arbitrarium

From his descripton (metal point and shoot with manual override) this could be the perfect camera for me. If it's genuinely pocket sized like a Minox.

If it genuinely happened somehow, and it was metal, had a 28ish mm lens opening to ~f1.8, full auto or full manual... then yes please.

Old 05-10-2017   #30
Ranchu
-

Konica Pops are fixed focus, but C35 EF3's are much harder to obtain. I'd be happy if they made those again, more durable though.

Old 05-10-2017   #31
farlymac
PF McFarland

I think the problem Bellamy is going to have is coming up with something that is economically feasible. I remember when some of the very same cameras I have bought in charity shops for one to four dollars were sold for over $250 when brand new, and that was back in the late seventies, early eighties.

Sure, I'd love to see the film compact revived, but a well made one is going to be cost prohibitive, and only sold to those posers with deep pockets. The economics of mass production do not jive with a product that will be in a niche, because no matter how many you make to get the price per unit down, you'll be stuck with unsold product in the long run. They still sell brand new Konica, Samsung, Yashica, and Nikon P&S cameras at CambridgeWorld.

PF