Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

I love the little beast (X100)
Old 12-11-2012   #1
abumac

I love the little beast (X100)

After the first week with my Fuji X100, I take it everywhere with me and I love it. Great IQ also in poor light situations.

http://mimpresion.blogspot.com.es/se...el/Fuji%20X100

rw

http://blog.reiner-wandler.de

Old 12-11-2012   #2
Tyler Bjorkman

I loved mine till it got the sticky blade sickness Now I have to see if Fuji considers it a grey market camera so they can cover the repair cost.

Old 12-11-2012   #3
bobbyrab

Agreed, there's a quality about the files it produces that has nothing to do with the normal measure of resolution.
It says something about a camera that in it's relatively short life it already has 70+ pages of images here on Rff.

Old 12-11-2012   #4
abumac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Bjorkman View Post
I loved mine till it got the sticky blade sickness Now I have to see if Fuji considers it a grey market camera so they can cover the repair cost.
Sorry about that. I hope that my serial 14Lxxxxxx will be save.

rw

http://blog.reiner-wandler.de

Old 12-11-2012   #5
jsrockit

It's not my favorite camera ergonomically, but it may be the camera that I get the most keepers from.

Old 12-11-2012   #6
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumac View Post
Sorry about that. I hope that my serial 14Lxxxxxx will be save.
A friend's X100 had the SAB and the warranty was already expired. He sent it to Fuji Brazil, they fixed it at no charge. Mine also had the same issue, but it was within the warranty period.

I love my X100. Great camera, will handle pretty much any situation. Currently the camera I'm using the most (I love rangefinders but my film workflow is just not right nowadays).
cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 12-11-2012   #7
Paul T.

For me, this has definitely been the most significant digital camera of the last decade. On balance, I like it better than my old R-D1. I just got my first trendy mag spread with photos taken with it...

I couldn't have got the results I did with my old, detested Panny GF1, nor my still current, beloved Hexar.

Old 12-11-2012   #8
jsrockit

I honestly hope they update this camera in the next year or so. It would be sad to see this camera's lineage stop at one model (not counting other X cameras).

Old 12-11-2012   #9
DarvOz

Easily one of the most enjoyable cameras I have owned. It might not be the best, the fastest, the prettiest, but my goodness it is a joy to use!

Late to the party
Old 12-11-2012   #10
daveleo
quello che .

Late to the party

As always, I come late to a party. My X100 (used, purchased here on RFF) got here yesterday. It feels like a mix of the HexarAF and a Leica lllf.
I'm studying the manual (the Fuji menus are kind of funky !). Got it into full manual operation last night, and power save mode and silent mode, and I think I'm going to have a ball with this.

Oh . . . the lens cap / lens hood / adapter issue is way too complicated. Happily I have bags of caps and stepping rings, etc to make up what I want.

http://www.cafephotos.net

"I photograph my fantasies" .... Man Ray

Old 12-11-2012   #11
Paul T.

Chinese made hoods are ridiculously cheap on eBay; I've ended up not using a filter as I reckon the hood alone gives plenty of protection to the lens.

my seller doesn't have them at the moment, but they cost pennies:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Lens-H...item1c261316de

Old 12-11-2012   #12
maggieo
More Deadly

The X100 might be my favorite camera of the digital era. I adore mine.

Old 12-11-2012   #13
willie_901

I was going to sell my X100 and replace it with a XE-1 body as a back up for my X-Pro 1.

But I enjoy using the X100 so much I decided to abandon that plan. I carry it everyday by default. I switch to the XP1 when another focal length is more appropriate for that day.

williamchuttonjr.com, FLICKR,

Old 12-15-2012   #14
daveleo
quello che .

I did get the standard x100 adapter and hood, and also found that a 58mm clip-on lens cap fits the hood, so I don't have to take the hood on and off going into the bag.

What works very nicely too is the Nikon lens hood which is nice and small. You need a 49-52 stepping ring and the associated Nikon lens cap, but I already had those.

If Fuji does a Rev2 on the X100, I't like to see a lens hood like this small Nikon job.

Old 12-15-2012   #15
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
As always, I come late to a party. My X100 (used, purchased here on RFF) got here yesterday. It feels like a mix of the HexarAF and a Leica lllf.
I'm studying the manual (the Fuji menus are kind of funky !). Got it into full manual operation last night, and power save mode and silent mode, and I think I'm going to have a ball with this.

Oh . . . the lens cap / lens hood / adapter issue is way too complicated. Happily I have bags of caps and stepping rings, etc to make up what I want.
Careful, power save mode slows down the autofocus.

Old 12-15-2012   #16
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Careful, power save mode slows down the autofocus.
Is that the "OVF power save" mode that is selectable in the set up menus? I would love for mine to autofocus faster. I have never had a digital autofocus camera before and do not what what is fast or slow.

Old 12-15-2012   #17
willie_901

Bob,

Yes, it is selectable in the menus.

Old 12-15-2012   #18
SausalitoDog

Couldn't agree more. This is really a watershed camera. As important to me as the Nikon D1 was. I'm sure it will see improve ements but none will have the impact of this one.

Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they dont complain and dont ask for money or a copy of the print.
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 12-15-2012   #19
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
Is that the "OVF power save" mode that is selectable in the set up menus? I would love for mine to autofocus faster. I have never had a digital autofocus camera before and do not what what is fast or slow.
Hey Bob,

Yes it's the OVF power save option in the menus. Turn it off - it barely saves any power, and it slows down the autofocus. Another tip is make sure the 'quick start mode' is ON. This makes the camera start up much quicker.

Old 12-15-2012   #20
kermaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
I did get the standard x100 adapter and hood, and also found that a 58mm clip-on lens cap fits the hood, so I don't have to take the hood on and off going into the bag.

What works very nicely too is the Nikon lens hood which is nice and small. You need a 49-52 stepping ring and the associated Nikon lens cap, but I already had those.

If Fuji does a Rev2 on the X100, I't like to see a lens hood like this small Nikon job.
The dome hood for the Pentax 40/2.8 DA Limited looks just like that Nikon hood, but the Pentax is 49mm. Works great on my X100.

::Ari

Old 12-16-2012   #21
daveleo
quello che .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermaier View Post
The dome hood for the Pentax 40/2.8 DA Limited looks just like that Nikon hood, but the Pentax is 49mm. Works great on my X100.
::Ari
Okay, I must check that out. Much prefer the little dome hoods (not for performance but for handling and looks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Hey Bob,

Yes it's the OVF power save option in the menus. Turn it off - it barely saves any power, and it slows down the autofocus. Another tip is make sure the 'quick start mode' is ON. This makes the camera start up much quicker.
I can't argue about it (I just got my x100), but the manual (page 83) says power save mode extends battery life by 2X ! And that the quickstart mode eats up power. I guess it depends on how fast you need autofocus to be.

Old 12-16-2012   #22
boomguy57

This is hands down my favorite digital camera of all time. It's a joy to use and I get more keepers from it than most other digitals. The times that it has done something weird haven't deterred me. The size is so small, and the camera is entirely silent...I love it. However, IMO Fuji took a step in the wrong direction with the XP1 and then another wrong step with the XE1. From being an OVF, damn-near-rangefinder camera it's just another digital camera with a digital VF and zoom lenses

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Old 12-16-2012   #23
SausalitoDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy57 View Post
This is hands down my favorite digital camera of all time. It's a joy to use and I get more keepers from it than most other digitals. The times that it has done something weird haven't deterred me. The size is so small, and the camera is entirely silent...I love it. However, IMO Fuji took a step in the wrong direction with the XP1 and then another wrong step with the XE1. From being an OVF, damn-near-rangefinder camera it's just another digital camera with a digital VF and zoom lenses
I agree on the xe1 but the xp1 is spot on an improvement in many areas - it's more fun to use, it's easier to make menu adjustments and the interchangeable lenses are great (can't wait for the pancake 27mm).

On the other hand, the xp1 does NOT replace the x100 which fits nicely in most pockets, can sync up to 1/2000 for great fill flash in bright light, and is truly silent for sneaky pix :-).

If I really want to be fair to the xe1, it is probably the best choice for people who want to use third party (Leica :-) lenses which by definition at this time, means manual focus - but this works nearly as well on the xp1 in any event.

My hat is off to Fuji for being innovative and even more so for listening to users and making improvements and firmware updates that really matter.

I think I'll really be using these cameras for a long time.

Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they dont complain and dont ask for money or a copy of the print.
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 12-17-2012   #24
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy57 View Post
However, IMO Fuji took a step in the wrong direction with the XP1 and then another wrong step with the XE1. From being an OVF, damn-near-rangefinder camera it's just another digital camera with a digital VF and zoom lenses
Hmmm, how many digital cameras have shutter speed dials and aperture rings... and high quality fast primes?

I don't look at the X-Pro1 or the X-E1 as replacements to the X100... just additional models. I also don't consider the X-Pro1 to be a step backwards at all. If Fuji made all of its lenses with leaf shutters, the X-Pro1 would have been priced too high.

Old 12-18-2012   #25
kshapero
Exposed

Ok prices have really dropped. After all the firmware upgrades, what are the negatives? I hope not much as I really love this little jewel. I am seeing the all black version with all the extra goodies at a only $200 premium.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 12-18-2012   #26
David_Manning

Akiva...buy it.

My ONLY complaint about the X100? There was no black body when I purchased.

I love it. I've done work I'm proud of with it.

---Okay, I wish the buttons on the back were a bit bigger.

Old 12-18-2012   #27
5:00 PM
It's a light machine

The only downside to the X100 probably doesn't apply to anybody here, in that it's got a learning curve and isn't for beginners. At the same time, it may be the most powerful digital you can hand to a stranger to take your picture with near complete assurance he or she will be able to ge the shot!

I've had mine for a year, it did go back to Fuji for the sticky blades problem (fixed quickly and at no charge). It's the most fun I've had in the digital era and it makes wonderful images, especially of people. No regrets whatsoever here.

Old 12-18-2012   #28
Glenn2

Count me as another big fan of the X-100. I had my name down for one as soon as I saw the specifications. A proper optical finder with framelines plus large sensor and fast prime were sure to be a winner. I wasn't disappointed when the camera arrived and soon got past the learning curve of its quirks. Firmware updates only made it better. Up until the X-100 my carry everywhere cameras were usually Leicas, either one of the M4's bought in the late sixties or a Barnack.

The X-100 makes a superb travel camera. It's small and light so spends very little time in a camera bag. Earlier this year I had the pleasure of revisiting, and rephotographing places and people that I'd first visited four decades earlier. My camera gear for the trip was one of the same Leicas I'd used in 1970 and an X-100.
The X-100 did an amazing job in light too dim for my ISO 400 film.

Two suggestions for anyone using an X-100. Get an extra battery, or two and carry them with you. The battery level indicator gives very little warning of low power level. A percent charge like Nikon does would be a big improvement.

The exposure comp dial is too easy to move by accident. If you aren't in the habit of checking this every time get a Lensmate thumb rest. Link--> http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/...nepix_x100.php

Besides improved grip it protects the exposure comp. dial.

I've posted a few photos from the Fuji that show what it's capable of. Link--> http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1029029

Glenn

Old 12-18-2012   #29
maggieo
More Deadly

My X100 and a spare battery live in my purse. It's perfect.

Old 12-18-2012   #30
willie_901

Negatives:

You need at least two batteries and they charge slowly. I avoid dirt cheap non-Fuji copies and try to find the Fuji's on sale. Others apparently use the least expensive batteries they can find and never have issues.

There is a learning curve. There are two finder modes and three AF modes. The focus area regions respond differently in different modes. Still, you can achieve just about anything you need to, but you have to figure out how to do it. Using just one mode of operation for every situation can cause frustration. You are knowledgable about parallax error and focus and recompose, so you should be in good shape. Read the manual and read the various free on-line user guides, but be sure that you read is relevant to the newest firmware. Turning on the audible focus confirmation beeps can help you learn how to get the most out of the AF. You can turn this off later of course.

True manual focus (as opposed to operating the AF manually) is much more viable now, but it is nothing like using an analog lens. I find MF useful for checking and making adjustments using the digital zoom method. This is more flexible with the X100 than the XP and XE bodies.

The lens can create distracting flare artifacts when strong, point-source lights are present in high contrast situations. This is most commonly seen in night photography. The only defense is to reduce exposure but this only reduces the flare. The flare seems to be highly angle dependent, so not every light gives flare.

Lens filters are more likely to generate different flare artifacts compared to other digital cameras. The lens-sensor distance is extremely narrow which creates the reflections. Even high-quality filters with excellent coatings can cause problems.

The lens is not designed for close up work at apertures openings larger than f 4. So in macro mode you have a f 4 lens.

The live histogram display is essentially useless. Of course you already know how to expose and the histogram can be turned off.

Speaking of exposure, the highlight recovery in raw files is impressive. When in doubt overexpose. I believe bracketing exposures is good insurance.

Auto ISO is inflexible. Combined with auto DR strange things can happen (at least I find them strange).

The EC dial spins a bit too freely for some people. Newer bodies may have stiffer dials because the whining about this seems to have declined.

It is not convenient to change the shutter speed in 1/3 stops. Of course you are already use cameras that don't do this at all.

The in-lens ND filter is required in very bright light. This is annoying unless you shoot in bright light often. The camera will still operate when the shutter is too fast for the lens' aperture mechanism so you won't necessarily know the photos will have artifacts.

I wrote down every negative I could think of. Except for the point-source light flare, none of thes negatives detract from how much I enjoy the X100 every time I use it. Right now it is my default goes-with-me-wherever-I-go camera. Even before the first firmware update, I was thrilled Fuji made this camera.

Old 12-19-2012   #31
burancap

Someone has just been very, very naughty -and so close to Christmas!

Black LE expected Friday!

Old 12-23-2012   #32
burancap

Well, I have now had most of a weekend with mine.

Great camera. Everything as expected from the posts here and elsewhere.

Very simple. Easy to use. Very pleased with the early results.

It is almost too easy in some regards ... I find that I may go from shooting RAW+JPG (for cataloging) to JPG+RAW (for backup).

This could easily be an "only" camera if that was mandated.

Old 12-23-2012   #33
porktaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
The X100 might be my favorite camera of the digital era. I adore mine.
even more than the m9?

Old 01-04-2013   #34
morgan

I've had mine for about 9 months and I love it almost to death - except for the AF and sometimes overall operation feels slow. Even though my R-D1 may slower overall in a way, at least I'm control of it. But the IQ of the x100 is really amazing. I shoot raw+jpg because sometimes the jpg output is better than what I can get out of lightroom.

I've bought the wide angle adapter and that's a nice addition, but what I really want now is a 50mm equivalent. I've always been more of a 50 than 35 guy.

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 01-04-2013   #35
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by porktaco View Post
even more than the m9?
Maybe. They're neck and neck, now that I have the C Sonnar 50/1,5 on the M9. But the X100 still makes better files for B&W conversions, to my eye.

Old 01-04-2013   #36
andrewteee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
Maybe. They're neck and neck, now that I have the C Sonnar 50/1,5 on the M9. But the X100 still makes better files for B&W conversions, to my eye.
But the X100 is no C Sonnar 50mm. Wish there was an X100-like C Sonnar 50mm camera... man oh man!