Epson V600 and ANR glass
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Nikos72

Epson V600 and ANR glass

I am about to get ANR glass for my epson v600 film holder. I have noticed that these ANR glass plates are placed on the film. The maker suggests placing curvy film with the emulsion side down. Does that have an impact to the quality of the output? I had noticed that for black and white film the contrast gets higher when scanning with the emulsion side facing down. Does anyone have any experience with the ANR glass plates and 135 film? Is it worth it?

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Erik van Straten

It is absolutely worth it. It keeps the film flat.

Do not use the film holder. Remove the white pressure cushion from the top part of the scanner. Just lay your negatives (I cut them in pieces of 6 frames) on the glass plate of the scanner with the emulsion side down. Then lay the AN glass with the dull side down on the negatives. Take care the negatives are right under the hole of the top lid of the scanner. Use the professional modus. Document type: film. 16-bit gray. 3200 dpi. All other settings off. First make an example scan. Modify the hologram, and then: go!

Erik.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Nikos72

Thank you very much Erik. Your photo looks wonderful. One more question though, would Epson Scan work without the film holder? Should I get an AN plate for 6x6 film, or two for 135? Would the 6x6 sized one cover two stripes of 135?

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Erik van Straten

Yes, it works without the film holder. Mine does, so ... I have an AN plate for 135, but I guess that a 6x6 plate will work too.

I only scan frame for frame. I only scan the frames that are worth it. Over the years I have learnt to judge the negatives just by looking at them with a strong loupe.

When scanning, don't forget to use the built in densitometer. A wonderful instrument that will help you to find the right tones.

Erik.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Nikos72

I will get the 6x6 glass then. I also shoot medium format and if it works so nicely for 135, it would certainly make things better for MF too.
I scan just the frames that worth it too. I make a quick scan of the entire stripe and then get the ones that really worth something.