35mm Summicron Lens Question
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
steveshea

35mm Summicron Lens Question

Hello,

I just purchased this lens. I am unsure if it is a version 2 or 3 because I am finding different information online. What would be a good price to pay for a rig like this? It only comes with a hood. Also, does anyone have any photos they would be willing to share that have been taken with their copy of this lens?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 12.08.41 PM.jpg (26.9 KB, 25 views)

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Chris101
poorly drawn summicron

It's a version 2. You an tell because of the little tab on the aperture ring.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
aizan

yours has the silver ring on the bottom and the aperture ring claw, so it is version II.

http://www.antiquecameras.net/35summicronmlenses.html

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Version two by it looks. Google "Summicron 35 SN" to find the year it was made.
Original hood adds 50$+. Next to trashed ones (exterior) are around 1200$ from BiN sellers now. Flashlight test needed to determine if you could push for more.
Look for v2 pictures here:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=97129

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
steveshea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Version two by it looks. Google "Summicron 35 SN" to find the year it was made.
Original hood adds 50$+. Next to trashed ones (exterior) are around 1200$ from BiN sellers now. Flashlight test needed to determine if you could push for more.
Look for v2 pictures here:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=97129
The seller described the lens as excellent condition with no haze, scratches, or major dust. Now time to wait until I can determine if it needs a CLA. Anything I should look out for to make the decision on sending it off or not? I am considering YYE camera to do the CLA if needed.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Just like any used lens. Flashlight test, focus accuracy test and how smooth is focus ring. This lens looks far from been abused. Everything should be fine, it seems.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
steveshea

Quote:
Just like any used lens. Flashlight test, focus accuracy test and how smooth is focus ring. This lens looks far from been abused. Everything should be fine, it seems.
Okay, good to know. I am about to purchase a lens filter and hood cap. Having trouble finding which lens filter size and hood cap size this lens requires...

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
steveshea

Quote:
I found out that 49mm filters should work with this lens, but is a different filter type required to use the hood with the filter? I read somewhere that series 7 is the filter that allows the hood to be used with a filter but a 49mm filter is the filter you use without the hood.

Is the hood cap really necessary?

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshea View Post
I found out that 49mm filters should work with this lens, but is a different filter type required to use the hood with the filter? I read somewhere that series 7 is the filter that allows the hood to be used with a filter but a 49mm filter is the filter you use without the hood.

Is the hood cap really necessary?
The internet has the answers;
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...2_Summicron_II

39mm filters thread in, not 49mm. Series VII (7) filters fit inside the expensive and not so good 12504 hood. Your best bet is 39mm filters (plentiful) with the (relatively inexpensive) 12585 hood. The hood cap only works when the hood is reversed, which it won't on this lens due to the aperture tab. A standard 39mm pinch type cap will fit to the lens inside the hood - I'd recommend the Voigtlander one.

It was made in (or around) 1970, as in the serial number was assigned to the lens in 1970.