ZM 50 1.5 Nikon S version + Amedeo
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
jkjod

ZM 50 1.5 Nikon S version + Amedeo

I know Amedeo makes a dedicated 50 adapter that allows focus closer than 1m with the old S mount Nikon 50s - does anyone know if this would work correctly for the Nikon S Version of the ZM 50 1.5? Or does the adapter only work correctly with the Nikon 50 1.4? Thanks in advance.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
splitimageview

There is no reason why it wouldn't work. I use one of Amedeo's dedicated 50 adapters. Quite nice!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
ChrisLivsey

I have both a ZM Sonnar 50mm f1.5 and the S Mount version of the same lens in the "new" run of the lens and an Amedeo adapter.
I can confirm the focussing accuracy is the same on my M2s M8 and M6 with either lens.
The closest focus of the S Sonnar on my SP is about 36 inches (sorry only had an inch tape measure to hand) on the M2 with Amedeo it is 35 inches, measured to film plane but not to 1/10th inch in practical use 0.9m so yes closer than 1m but in real life is that a significant difference?
The ZM Sonnar is to 35 inches, on the M2 obviously.
Your question infers the S mount lens on the Amedeo will focus closer than the "native" ZM mount on a Leica body that is not the case.
My Amedeo is a newer one with 6 bit coding "wells" in the mount.
The adapter works with all the Nikkor lenses internal and external mount with some exceptions such as the, to my deep regret, 3.5cm f1.8 Nikkor, a list was compiled here on the Nikon rangefinder section of the exceptions.
Hope that helps.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
splitimageview

There is an Amedeo adapter specifically dedicated to internal mount 50mm focal lengths (one for Nikon RF and one for Contax RF lenses.) It will allow closer focusing than the lens is normally capable (i.e., mine will go closer than 0.7m according to the scale on the adapter. The lens itself doesn't have a scale of course.)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
There is an Amedeo adapter specifically dedicated to internal mount 50mm focal lengths (one for Nikon RF and one for Contax RF lenses.) It will allow closer focusing than the lens is normally capable (i.e., mine will go closer than 0.7m according to the scale on the adapter. The lens itself doesn't have a scale of course.)
I had forgotten that, thank you, my adapter is the one capable of internal and external mounting so matches the Nikon scale necessary for the external mount. The internal may well be the one the OP refers to with which the S Sonnar will go to the closer focussing point just like the internal Nikkors, the mount is the same.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
splitimageview

This is actually kinda cool since the 50/1.5 ZM normally focuses to 0.9m. Using the S-mount version with the dedicated Amedeo would mean ~0.7m

I am one that *does* find this significant.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
jkjod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
The internal may well be the one the OP refers to with which the S Sonnar will go to the closer focussing point just like the internal Nikkors, the mount is the same.
This exactly, I used to own the ZM 50 1.5 and my only complaint was the 1m close focus. I shoot a lot indoors so having the .7m is a pretty big deal to me. Same can be said for the Voigt 50/1.1 - another lens I really like but 1m close focus makes it not as versatile for my shooting. Thanks for the info!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjod View Post
This exactly, I used to own the ZM 50 1.5 and my only complaint was the 1m close focus.
I think Zeiss/Cosina limited the MFD of the ZM 50/1.5 to 0.9m because the inherent focus shift would be even harder to manage at closer focusing distances. The S-mount version/adapter combo will certainly get you closer, but it could be interesting trying to nail focus.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Vincent

Hello

I already posted some time ago about this combination . It's not only the MFD that changes : focus throw is really longer , and I find it more confortable for my use . Coupling to 0.7m can't be bad though . Using it closer requires EVF and the focusing tab is not in a confortable position , but you have the option . My combo is perfectly calibrated for 1.5 , not 2.8 . One last thing : the clicks of the aperture ring are full-stop spaced . No bloody third-stop clicks that I personnaly couldn't stand . To each his own...
In the end , I'm really happy with the combo , but it works especially because M. Muscelli does his job right . And not only for me , it seems to be the common opinion everywhere . With any adapter for RF coupling , anything a little off and it's at best a PITA , at worst a throw away .
I recommend !

Vincent