Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: Which (jeans) pocketable incident light meter?
Gossen Sixtomat F2 6 14.63%
Sekonic L-308s 24 58.54%
Other 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #41
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
The 308 is a good meter, but it causes batteries to corrode in it oftener than seems right, I eventually got rid of it I got so tired of not having a battery in it.
I wonder what brand of battery you were using. A pal who works for Nikon USA repair says 90% of battery holder corrosion problems involving AA batteries come from Duracell batteries. He said cameras and flash units are always returned with Eveready Energizers. Look at the video in the link and see the battery brand used..
http://www.sekonic.com/united-states.../overview.aspx

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #42
Ranchu
-

Huh. Could be. It was a while ago, but I use energizer and duracell interchangably. Thanks for the tip!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #43
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
Huh. Could be. It was a while ago, but I use energizer and duracell interchangably. Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, did the same till I knew better. I use rechargeables for my portable flash but carry some AA Alkaline as backups. AA Alkaline in the light meter and in some other stuff. I pull the batteries out of anything that sits unused for more than a week.

pkr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #44
michaelwj
----------------

The meter arrived this morning. Very fast postage, 4 days from Japan to my door!
Anyway, first impressions are positive. First up, it is very light compared to the 398 I have been using for a few years. It is also a lot slimmer. I put it in my jeans pocket to see hoe it went, and promptly got distracted and forgot it was there. It's quick and easy to use, easy to read the display, and all the info is there. I'll have to get used to turning it on though - I forgot a few times today... and I wish the power button wasn't all the way on the other side. Maybe I need to use it in my left hand, power on with my thumb and take the reading with my finger... mmmm.

Anyway, some size comparisons between the 398 and an M. It really is a lot thinner.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #45
giganova

Gossen DigiSix is fabulous!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #46
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Gossen DigiSix is fabulous!
I hated mine when I had it

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #47
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
The meter arrived this morning. Very fast postage, 4 days from Japan to my door!
Anyway, first impressions are positive. First up, it is very light compared to the 398 I have been using for a few years. It is also a lot slimmer. I put it in my jeans pocket to see hoe it went, and promptly got distracted and forgot it was there. It's quick and easy to use, easy to read the display, and all the info is there. I'll have to get used to turning it on though - I forgot a few times today... and I wish the power button wasn't all the way on the other side. Maybe I need to use it in my left hand, power on with my thumb and take the reading with my finger... mmmm.

Anyway, some size comparisons between the 398 and an M. It really is a lot thinner.
If you test the two meters, please post the results. The last meter I used with a small dome was a Gossen Luna Pro. I always felt the larger dome was more accurate but it may have been my meter and not the dome size. I've used Minolta meters over the past years. They all have large domes.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #48
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post

Thank you for these pics. I'm in the market for a meter myself and your pics have convinced me to go with a L-308. Now I just need to find one at a decent price

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #49
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
If you test the two meters, please post the results. The last meter I used with a small dome was a Gossen Luna Pro. I always felt the larger dome was more accurate but it may have been my meter and not the dome size. I've used Minolta meters over the past years. They all have large domes.
I have an L28c2 and 3 Gossen Luna Pro models. I always felt the Sekonic measured incident light better as well, and as you, thought it must be due to the larger dome. I have long looked for the Gossen add on incident attachment, as it has a larger dome. At least looked for one I was willing to pay the asking price for. I do like the Luna Pro SBC for its very low light capabilities.