Old 06-12-2017   #121
Cabledog

Haha I know I know I need to pick one. The nokton is definitely a one lens travel kind of lens although it has its quirks. Think I'll start there and decide on the 50 later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
No.. Summicron 35 Asph, Summaron 35 3.5, CV 35 2.5, CV 35 1.2, ZM 35 1.4, LOMO 32 2.8..

The CV 35 1.4 supposedly has a bit of focus shift but once you figure that out you shouldn't have any issues. Meant to have a bit of distortion too but u can remove that in LR or just not use it for critical architectural photography.
It's a very cool lens because it is small, fast and affordable.

The CV 40 1.4 is also a great alternative - bridging the gap between 35 and 50 and gives u speed and small size. Not as sharp as the Cron wide open, but the Cron does not give you 1.4.

Honestly though, pick a lens, any lens (I know I'm not helping!) and enjoy that camera.

Old 06-12-2017   #122
rfaspen

Let's be done with this (for now):

Elmar-M 50/2.8
Nokton 35/1.4

A fine kit paired with an M4. I have both of those lenses (and a few more) and I can see taking just those two on a fun trip. The Elmar is just something you need to experience. Compact. I've put it on a film M and slip it in my laptop case before going on many work trips. Quick through airport (security), and with me during meetings, and more importantly before and after meetings. Nice.

The CV 35/1.4 does shift, but just go and use it. I've learned not to even think about that. Often enough, I get the focus just fine. When I don't, I don't. Performance at 1.4 is....not the usual Leica performance, but stopped down it performs OK. If image quality is paramount to you, don't get this lens. Get the Biogon-C 35/2.8 (or a v4 summicron 35/2, etc). I don't know what you've read on the internet, but the Biogon is pure performance all the way. And its plenty small and light (hence the "C" in its name). It will stun you. (yes, I have a Biogon too).

I'll end my recommendation with this: Some nice folks here have emphasized that it doesn't much matter what lens you get. They're right! I appreciate trying to improve the chances of getting that "keeper" by getting recommendations, and it does help. But, this is the world of Leica -- don't even think you're stopping here (with just 2 lenses). You'll be back, and we'll have more recommendations for you .

Old 06-12-2017   #123
Cabledog

Those are the two that I was pretty much decided on for my travel kit. I can get leica like photos with the elmar and the classic vintage look with the nokton and if I need low light. And no sharpness isn't a priority as much as character, at least for my leicas purpose. It's going to be my "instagram" cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Let's be done with this (for now):

Elmar-M 50/2.8
Nokton 35/1.4

A fine kit paired with an M4. I have both of those lenses (and a few more) and I can see taking just those two on a fun trip. The Elmar is just something you need to experience. Compact. I've put it on a film M and slip it in my laptop case before going on many work trips. Quick through airport (security), and with me during meetings, and more importantly before and after meetings. Nice.

The CV 35/1.4 does shift, but just go and use it. I've learned not to even think about that. Often enough, I get the focus just fine. When I don't, I don't. Performance at 1.4 is....not the usual Leica performance, but stopped down it performs OK. If image quality is paramount to you, don't get this lens. Get the Biogon-C 35/2.8 (or a v4 summicron 35/2, etc). I don't know what you've read on the internet, but the Biogon is pure performance all the way. And its plenty small and light (hence the "C" in its name). It will stun you. (yes, I have a Biogon too).

I'll end my recommendation with this: Some nice folks here have emphasized that it doesn't much matter what lens you get. They're right! I appreciate trying to improve the chances of getting that "keeper" by getting recommendations, and it does help. But, this is the world of Leica -- don't even think you're stopping here (with just 2 lenses). You'll be back, and we'll have more recommendations for you .

Old 06-12-2017   #124
A.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The CV 40 1.4 is also a great alternative
Indeed. On an M4 you might not want to file the mount to bring up the 35mm frames instead of its default of 50mm.

Old 06-16-2017   #125
Cabledog

In case anyone was curious i settled on a nokton 1.4 sc 35mm and the chrome elmar m 50mm. Just got the cv in today and is built quite nice. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #126
Rico

Just for completeness, I'll mention the reissue C/V Heliars 50/3.5 and 50/2 in their various housings, and available for sale from the head bartender. I don't own one but, based on images posted, the sharpness and bokeh are exemplary, and either lens would balance perfectly on my M4. My current 50s are the Elmar f/2.8 v1 and early Summilux v2: tradeoffs in weight, speed, and handling.

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Profoto