Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Why did so many pros put up with their cameras in leather cases?
Old 06-03-2017   #1
Richard G

I used my M2 with its leather case for ten years or more. It was convenient when putting it in a hiking pack and for putting the baseplate in when changing film. But now I almost never use such a case, or even half case.

I've never seen a Vietnam War photographer with a leather case but some WWII photographers are seen with them. Yesterday I saw a self portrait of Doisneau with his Leica in a full leather case and so many Rolleiflex pros seem to keep the leather case on, even with only a few shots before the next change of film.

Could it be that the pace of work, life, thinking, back then was such that the good sense of a protective case remained convincing, and the minor irritation of juggling the case and the camera and the film was nothing to them?

Old 06-03-2017   #2
Richard G

Or have David Hemmings and Antonioni got a lot to answer for to the second hand camera market?

Old 06-03-2017   #3
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Or have David Hemmings and Antonioni got a lot to answer for to the second hand camera market?
Thread should have been a poll to assess how many people here got the reference without having to look it up.

Yes, they have a lot to answer for.

Old 06-03-2017   #4
Chris101
poorly drawn summicron

Nobody under 65 would get it.

Old 06-03-2017   #5
Richard G

Sorry, you're right. https://au.pinterest.com/pin/397794579566116466/

But really I was interested in why those working photographers didn't abandon the leather case in five minutes flat.

Old 06-03-2017   #6
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
....I'm young, still only 56, for a couple of weeks.

Old 06-03-2017   #7
dfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
I'm proud to have gotten the reference at the youthful age of 41!

Old 06-03-2017   #8
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfranklin View Post
I'm proud to have gotten the reference at the youthful age of 41!
Bless you. I feel better now.

Old 06-03-2017   #9
Chris101
poorly drawn summicron

Heh. Well for all the other geezers who saw that movie, and thought it was the most risqué film we ever had to sneak into - yay. I was kinda into photography before, but after seeing that, I no longer wanted to be a rock star!

Old 06-03-2017   #10
Chris101
poorly drawn summicron

That said:

Old 06-03-2017   #11
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Put up with? I think for most people, a camera was a pretty big investment, and a case was a good way to protect that investment.

Old 06-03-2017   #12
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

For real photographers camera is never investment but tool. Imagine HCB or GW using camera as "investment". "Most people" are crap shut and nothing else. It is up to you which side try to join.

Old 06-03-2017   #13
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I used to always have my Nikon F in the lower part of the case because the strap hooked to the case and was in a better position than a strap connected to the camera's eyelets was. I'd only put the top of the case on when I was storing the camera.

Matter of fact, I just bought a brand new (NOS) Nikon F leather case for my early F. Got it for $35. It's sitting in it now, nicely protected and looking great, ready to use.

I don't use a case on my Leica M-D or SL, but I do use an A&A half case on my M4-2 and the lower case on the Leicaflex SL. Same reasons as for the Nikon F with the Leicaflex SL; with the M4-2, it gives the body a little more thickness which fits my hands better.

G

Old 06-03-2017   #14
sara

Leather case or any other case annoys me.

Old 06-03-2017   #15
CK Dexter Haven

Early on, a camera would be considered a pretty spectacular piece of engineering. We're now used to it, jaded, and we take it all for granted.

That, and if the camera manufacturers sold cases, they probably made it seem like that was just the thing to do. Another piece of profit for them, and for the consumer of such a new product, they didn't have a reason to not accept the companies' 'suggestion.'

Old 06-03-2017   #16
Richard G

I find getting a Rolleiflex in and out of the case a bit tedious and don't have an assistant to hold it while I find somewhere to sit and load the film....I take some sort of camera with me every day and none of them has a mark on it, except the pristine black paint Leica III I dropped on the wooden floor at home yesterday, overladen with the groceries. Lost a tiny bit of black paint off the baseplate.

Old 06-03-2017   #17
Richard G

I read in a FED manual that the leather case is good for stopping condensation on the camera coming indoors. I got this very noticeably on one of my cameras in a humid restaurant last week, despite bright sun streaming in and the temperature well above 10 degrees C outside. I had the camera, without case of course, in the boot of the car since early morning in a dark concrete carpark. It was cold.

Old 06-03-2017   #18
Chris101
poorly drawn summicron

My case(s - I have one on my OM1n, and Nikon FG as well) makes the camera fit hand holding (it's easier to grip single handed), and it abates my clumsiness somewhat. I tend to bump things I carry into stuff. So I carry my Leica on a shoulder strap with the lens turned toward my body. The half case absorbs the slight bumps it inevitably experiences in that position.

It's purely pragmatic, but it also makes it look ... radically cool, eh?

Old 06-03-2017   #19
John Lawrence

Not my sort of thing, and none of the Pros I've worked with over the years have used them either - in fact most made a point of removing everything that could be removed from a new camera prior to putting it to work.

John

Old 06-03-2017   #20
Brian Atherton

At the time, when I bought my new Zorki, Pentax SL and Nikon F2 Photomic, they all came with a camera case, which was included in the purchase price. The camera cases weren’t an accessory.

The Zorki case was tough, stiff, workmanlike; the Pentax case beautiful, soft and dimpled; the Nikon case shiny and hard. All were leather.

Pretty soon, I got fed up using the Zorki with its case (too much faffing about when changing film), and subsequently the Pentax and Nikon were never used with their cases from day one.

Since then I have never bought a new camera with a case – unless included for free, as I don’t use cameras with a case.

Why? Too many lenses I used – and use – don’t fit in a camera case and I prefer the feel of a body without a case attached.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 06-03-2017   #21
Richard G

The M4-2 looks pretty good in that case I agree. It was throwing an M4-2 around in the '80s that got me off the case. The case allows a better grip but it does add to bulk.

Old 06-04-2017   #22
Bill Clark

I never use or used a camera case and all pros I associated with were the same. And the same with camera straps. With pj photography the camera was part of my hand, always ready for saving the moment on film or digital.

Old 06-04-2017   #23
newfilm

Some camera really need a case to be "functioning", I can't hold on to my Leica CL without the half case, it is just too slippery.

Old 06-04-2017   #24
Dogman

I recall the photo of Robert Capa and George Rodger having smokes together during a break. Both had their cameras in opened full leather cases.

I have no data to back it up but I think the "neverready" case for pros went away when editors demanded more photo choices and photographers began shooting more film to oblige. It's too fiddly trying to juggle cases, cameras, camera backs/bottom plates and film cassettes at the same time when covering breaking news subjects. Using multiple cameras (and multiple focal length lenses) was probably due to this as well.

Or maybe not. I mean, nobody wears ascots these days either.

Old 06-04-2017   #25
css9450

When I was a kid, I used my parents' Minolta SR-1, which had a brown leather never-ready case. My Pentax K1000 came with a very nice case, a black one. But after that, no more cases.

I made an observation back about 35 years ago (I was 16), at an event where there were dozens of photographers present. Almost no one under the age of about 60 had their camera in a case. I figured it was something that just wasn't popular any more.

Old 06-04-2017   #26
newfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I figured it was something that just wasn't popular any more.
these days mobile phone case are dominating....

Old 06-04-2017   #27
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I recall the photo of Robert Capa and George Rodger having smokes together during a break. Both had their cameras in opened full leather cases.
I'm still far away from 65 but this is exactly the photo I instantly thought of !

The photo was taken in Vomero, a sector of Naples, in 1943.

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/about/history

Old 06-04-2017   #28
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I am amused by how much some here hate leather fitted camera cases - much as I detest photo backpacks and photo vests.

You might consider them unprofessional but they are quite handy for the rest of us amateurs, especially when using a single lens.
While they must be removed to load film they help make camera quieter and easier to grip while providing some added protection.

Chris

Old 06-04-2017   #29
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
For real photographers camera is never investment but tool. Imagine HCB or GW using camera as "investment".
I think you are misunderstanding the sense of the word investment in this case. There is a big difference between making an investment in tools (making a capital outlay with the intention of becoming more productive) to making a speculative investment in something (stock/share, artwork or camera) with the hope that it will appreciate in value.

Interestingly, in the case of "HCB" and "GW", their investment in cameras will have ended up serving both ends.

Old 06-04-2017   #30
narsuitus

Even though I love leather, I never liked leather camera cases because:
1. I considered them an unnecessary expense.
2. I had big motor drives and battery packs on my Nikon F2 bodies.
3. The one lens I stored in a leather case developed fungus.
4. They got in the way when I needed to change film.

Old 06-04-2017   #31
leicapixie

What does OP mean when he writes "Dld"?
I still do! Use a case.
Reason, it makes me look like a raw beginner,
my Pentax is actually pristine condition.
The Rollei users can easily their cameras with case!
Sure the rolls are "but" 12 exposures on 120.
Medium format is about being methodical and careful.
Not filling memory cards with drivel and junk.
A 120 roll can last in street photography, months!
I've met Magnum photographers, agency guys,
well known photojournalists that protected their cameras and lenses.
It is the tools of their creativity and earning power!
The really smart idea these days is No case and No strap.
Great idea, can drop to Earth with the "dumb-ass' phone..

Last edited by leicapixie : 06-04-2017 at 06:02. Reason: spel erors

Old 06-04-2017   #32
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The most important reason not to use a leather case is for storage. Leather is an organic material and attracts moisture and fungus. Cameras stored for long periods in leather cases tend to have more problems with fungus and corrosion.

I take the cameras I have leather cases for OUT of the leather cases when they are being stored. I put my cameras into a case when I feel it presents an advantage when using the camera.

There's no real need to be dogmatic about liking or hating cases. Use a case the same way you use any other piece of equipment ... when it provides advantages you are looking for ... and don't when it doesn't. That's all.

G

Old 06-04-2017   #33
Raoul_Volfoni

I really agree. Taking off the leather cases for storage is actually the main reason I lost most of them. Eventually put them in a box and lost that box when I moved houses.
Now most of my vintage cameras are bare with the strap around my neck. Not really a choice or a statement but a consequence. Honestly, I don't really miss them though.

Old 06-04-2017   #34
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
For real photographers camera is never investment but tool. Imagine HCB or GW using camera as "investment". "Most people" are crap shut and nothing else. It is up to you which side try to join.
Yeah - not at all what I meant. I meant a camera was expensive and therefore worth protecting. 50 years ago cameras were generally much more expensive/valuable than they are now.

Aside from that I don't think using or not using a case has any effect on "which side" one is on.

Old 06-04-2017   #35
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
2. I had big motor drives and battery packs on my Nikon F2 bodies.
I forgot about the motor drive issue. I remember looking into one for my FM2 + MD12 motor drive. It seemed enormous! And it was almost expensive as the MD12 itself. I decided not to get it.

Old 06-04-2017   #36
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Nikon and Canon sold an "action case" for several models to fit camera body with motor attached.

Chris

Old 06-04-2017   #37
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
I never use or used a camera case and all pros I associated with were the same. And the same with camera straps. With pj photography the camera was part of my hand, always ready for saving the moment on film or digital.
Agree, I never used a case and none of the other pros I know used cases. We used to call them Never Ready Cases.

Old 06-04-2017   #38
Steve Bellayr

I suspect that leather did not wear well in a jungle environment. And, cameras for them were instruments and if film need replacement a case would be an encumbrance. Consider: What would be the benefit of a leather camera case while squatting in a muddy foxhole in the rain?

Old 06-04-2017   #39
MikeMGB

I never use a case on a 35mm camera, but always on my Yashica TLR, it just seems wrong to take that one out without the case.

Old 06-04-2017   #40
Robert Lai

I don't know about you folks, but for me a camera is still an expensive purchase. Since I don't shoot professionally, I'd rather keep it in a case when using it. That minimizes the damage that will have a negative effect on resale value if I come to sell it.