Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Old 05-23-2017   #41
bucs

I don't change lenses because I get funky light leaks when I do.

I usually carry two M bodies each with 35mm lenses. If I had lots of cash I'd slap a 35mm cron on both. Right now I use a cron and a summaron.

1 for color and 1 for bw

Old 05-23-2017   #42
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtwit View Post
Pick up a 40mm summicron instead, it's far less expensive and will give you slightly different shot over the 35mm.

But I will say that the 35mm f2 summicron asph is the bomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I wouldn't have two of the same exact lens... but two of the same focal length? Sure (even though I don't).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
Everyone makes their own choice.

My choice is two different lenses. For different effects.
This is how I think. I will use a 35mm version 1 Summicron on the M9, and the 35/2.8 Summaron on the M6 (for example). Or the 50mm black Summicron together with the 50 DRS. I might use a 21mm on one, and a 24mm on the other. But it would not occur to me to buy two of the same lens; I'd rather make the money go farther by having different lenses that complement each other.

Old 05-23-2017   #43
Chris101
poorly drawn summicron

When I only shoot with a 35, I often want to go a bit tighter, so I switch to a 50, but I need just a bit more of the scene, so I switch to a 35, but then I need to move closer so I switch to a 50, but ...

I don't like to have a 50 and a 35 available at the same time because I get stuck.

Old 05-23-2017   #44
Ranchu
-

Do any of you get the feeling some 50's are wider than others? Not that the focal length is different, but that the 'wider at infinity, more zoomed in close up' effect is biased more toward wide? Maybe something is going on with the rendering of perspective distortion?

I get this feeling. I don't think it makes any sense at all.

Old 05-23-2017   #45
Mute-on

Two 35 Leica lenses? Absolutely!
But I'd have two different 35s, just for the variety. A 35 Summicron ASPH, or even a 35 Summaron, would be a great compliment to your Summarit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-24-2017   #46
Peter Jennings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
if this works for you, then you should do it.
This thread's made it to two pages already! I think Rob gave the perfect answer on the first reply.

Old 05-24-2017   #47
Ronald M

Nah. I have many Leica 50`s. 50 2.8 Elmar M, one chrome one black. One 50 2.8 original Elmar that could pass for new in box. Same for 50 Rigid. Don`t forget the 50 3.5 Red Scale.

More I don`t want to list. So I say 2 is not enough

You are correct because if you do portraiture the moment is too easily lost if you are changing lenses. Even for landscape, sometimes the light is only good for a few seconds.

Old 05-24-2017   #48
music_healing

if you have the exact reasoning .. why ... just do it

I use same lens ... Hexanon UC 35mm f2 for color and Hexanon LTM chrome 35mm f2 with yellow filter ...
both together on my last trip

deliberating

Sincerely
William Jusuf

Old 05-24-2017   #49
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
Do any of you get the feeling some 50's are wider than others? Not that the focal length is different, but that the 'wider at infinity, more zoomed in close up' effect is biased more toward wide? Maybe something is going on with the rendering of perspective distortion?

Yes, I think it is true... of course within a few mm. Like one could be a 49mm, but another could be a 51mm.

Old 05-24-2017   #50
tuanvinh2000

Do what works for you. Selling a Leica mount lens is easy enough. What I find with all this gear buy n sell is usually a negative effect on my photos. When I take photos, I focus all energy on one lens and one camera. Secondary is for backup. Either shoot digital only or film only. I hate mixing shooting both because I end up shooting more digital (faster and easier to share).

Old 05-24-2017   #51
raid
Dad Photographer

I will use this summer a 50mm lens (only) during a trip. No need to worry about lens changing.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-24-2017   #52
Doug

I think having two identical lenses can make sense when there are two cameras, and other factors vary... Black&white + color, or film + digital, say. Some might combine these options and go with digital color and film B&W... Not my style, though, as I don't "see" B&W at the same time as seeing color photo opportunities, it's one or the other.

On a trip to Cuba in February I took only a full-frame digital Leica and shot only with a 28mm lens. In looking over the photos now there were good occasions for using the 50mm I also had along - but I was seeing in "28mm mode". Rather than changing lenses in the field, a better answer for me would have been a second body with a different focal length. But for this trip I packed as light as possible, minimal everything... should have left the 50 at home!

Old 05-24-2017   #53
Peter Jennings

I have 2 Nikkor-H.C 5cm lenses - one LTM and one S mount. I also have an S-LTM Amadeo adapter, so I guess the LTM lens isn't necessary. But then they are rather inexpensive, and the LTM does have built-in close focus ability. So, optically identical lenses in different mounts and with uniquely different mechanics.

Old 05-24-2017   #54
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Is owning of two identical lenses silly?
The only two identical lenses I own are:
Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 AIS Series E
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5 to 5.6 G AF VR

I bought them because they were inexpensive and produced images that were above their budget price. I use the two but keep the identical set in storage just in case I lose or damage the original.

Old 05-24-2017   #55
David Hughes

Hmmm, I would have said one set of lenses and two identical bodies. It's bodies that you usually need as back-ups and then you can have two types of film , one in each, and two lenses ready.

And I'd say film only or digital only.

OTOH, you also need a small, pocketable P&S and some of them are good enough to do the back-up bit of the theory...

OTOH(2), if it's a hobby, what does it matter? Hobbies are for enjoyment by doing whatever you want to do.

Regards, David

Old 05-25-2017   #56
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post

It does indeed not make too much sense, however, some "50mm" lenses may in reality be 45 mm, others 55. If you use two extremes side by side you might notice a small difference. OTOH the change in focal length when focusing is in the same order.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-25-2017   #57
coogee

I'd consider keeping two film bodies over two identical lenses. There will be times you have half a roll of something in one and want to use a different film, like you say 36 frames can be a lot to get through sometimes.

Like everyone else here(!) I do have more than one 35mm and 50mm lens - but not multiples of the same type.

Old 05-25-2017   #58
pyeh

I understand, I think, where Ko.fe is coming from in wanting two of the same lens, to put on his (soon to be) two cameras. If you have found a lens that you just adore, and regard it above all other lenses, then it makes sense to me to get more than one of them. I have two of a number of lenses. I know of someone who seemed to have a dozen or more of one particular lens. I haven't done it yet myself, but I can see the usefulness of putting the same lens type on different bodies at the same time.
When it comes to camera bodies I am sure I am not alone in having three or four or five of the one model.

Old 05-25-2017   #59
willie_901

If you can afford a a second lens, just buy one.

It never hurts to have a backup for critical gear. I never had owned two identical lenses. But I always had a back up lens or two, lighting gear and of course camera bodies.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-25-2017   #60
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Second page is as good as the first one! Thank you all for your comments.

My most current situation after I called yesterday to ask about M4-2, which is in service since March is... It wasn't even looked at, yet. Due to this I have time to think more.

I spend plenty of time reading and looking at pictures of another 35 mm lenses... Nokton 35 1.4 is real bargain, Leica like construction, but I'm finding its rendering not attractive for me. The only lens I wanted, but chickened out and went with safe all-rounder Summarit-M 35 was Summilux 35 1.4 II ELC. But they say it might not works on M9/E without modification. It looks like fairly simple for DIY, I just can't find if someone did it. And how will I know if lens needs it? Will it simply not mount on M-E?

Summarit-M is less expensive and just works on film and digital M. But nothing else renders like Lux 35 II. Especially on BW film, IMO.

I checked examples on rangefinder RU and this lens pictures from different photographers received my comments about quality of the rendering most:

by gash. 2013:

by Beaumarchais. 2012:

by dantist. 2013:

Old 05-25-2017   #61
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Unless the lenses are the same focal length and speed but have different mounts for different systems, yes, I think it's silly.
Robert

Old 05-25-2017   #62
571514m3

Not silly at all. Why would you think that? And don't confuse your muscle memory with a 40 alongside a 35. Instead buy a 35 Summaron, 2.8 or 3.5. Pure magic! But then I am addicted to the 35 Summa'cron'. If it fees good and right it more than likely is good and right.

Old 05-25-2017   #63
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I had two Summaron 35 3.5 lens in the past. One goggled, one was not, while still in the M mount. To me they were most quality build Leitz lenses, most affordable Leitz 35 lenses, but just with less pronounced Leica rendering.
2.8 Summaron is better lens, IMO, but I'm not finding it to be second lens to Summarit-M...
Cron is safe all-rounder, but, IMO, not worth of paying higher price comparing to Summarit-M which does more, less the same as Cron does. But I might be wrong...

Old 05-25-2017   #64
Livesteamer

Well, call me crazy, I have a lot of 50's but that's my most used lens. I have four Elmars, two uncoated on a Leica 1 and a Leica II. A 1947 Elmar 50, my main user and a 1957 f2.8 Elmar in M mount, a very nice lens. Also a Summitar, two Summicrons and a Summilux asph but who's counting.

My worst madness is Nikon 50's, seven for RF use. In S mount both an F2.0 on a Nikon S and a 50 F1.4 on an SP, in LTM two 50mm f2.0 rigid and one 50mm F2.0 collapsible, also two 50mm F1.4 in LTM but one is an early Tokyo lens and the other a late black ring 50mm f1.4 Japan lens.

Don't suffer from insanity, enjoy it. Joe

Old 05-25-2017   #65
ColSebastianMoran

Ko.Fe. -- Two identical lenses? Nothing is silly if it works for you.

In Classifieds Now: Olympus PEN EE with original leather case
More photos, descriptions of for sale items on this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 05-25-2017   #66
farlymac
PF McFarland

It's not silly at all, Ko. Especially since lenses will render differently on film than they will on digital. And you are so right about not wanting to be changing back and forth between bodies with the local conditions as they are.

Besides, how many shots would you lose because your lens is in your hand, and not on the camera? Add to that having to juggle lens and body caps, and something may come up missing sooner or later.

PF

Old 05-25-2017   #67
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Besides, how many shots would you lose because your lens is in your hand, and not on the camera?
PF
How many shots would you miss because you are eating, sleeping, etc?

Old 05-27-2017   #68
Huss

Quote:
When I am eating or sleeping I am not taking photos...

Just bought a second 50 1.8G so I can have one on my D750 and one on my F6 at the same time.
Difference being... they only cost $120 used.

Old 06-02-2017   #69
Ibramr

Greetings. For the focal length you use the most, then maybe. For most, this would likely be 50mm, or 35mm. But even then, perhaps some variation would be interesting, like that between an ASPH and pre-ASPH versions. As mentioned above, Leica lenses are fungible, so it is relatively easy to rectify mis-judgements. Best.

Old 06-02-2017   #70
Dogman

Quote:
To misquote Garry Winogrand, "There are no shots while I'm eating, sleeping, etc."

Old 06-02-2017   #71
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

It's not, as long as you are doing stereophotography

Old 06-02-2017   #72
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
To misquote Garry Winogrand, "There are no shots while I'm eating, sleeping, etc."
Exactly...so there are no photographs while changing lenses either.

Old 06-02-2017   #73
pyeh

I'm thinking of starting an international secret club of people with two or more copies of the same lens and that use them at the same time i.e. mounted on different cameras at the same time, with say different film in each or film or digital and film variants. Ko.Fe and our Esteemed Moderator in Japan can be the first members.

Old 06-02-2017   #74
robbeiflex

Collect other people's opinions here, but then do what you want. If you like a lens a lot, why not buy a second one? Especially in your case, as you seem to have a reason to actually use the two at the same time. Also, if you feel the need to sell a lens, then you can avoid the regret of not having your favourite lens any more, since you still have one of the two.

Cheers,
Rob
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 06-02-2017   #75
mdarnton

I have a type III Summicron, currently, though in the past I've had a variety, including the 35/1.7, which was a great lens. But the Summicron is small AND fast, AND sharp. So what else do I need?

Now, 50mm, that's another story. I think I have nine of those.

Old 06-02-2017   #76
Richard G

I am amused when I read that someone gets their first black Leica so goes and buys a whole set of black lenses. I quite like a silver lens on a black body and the reverse is commonplace. Indeed, chrome/nickel lens on a black paint body was standard in the '30s.

Still, I would seriously consider another small black 50 for my Monochrom. Instead of a second Elmar M, however, I think I will go with the Summarit M. But I very likely won't ever do it.

A good reason for a black lens is that it is lighter, especially a fast 50 or anything longer.

Old 06-02-2017   #77
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
By the way, I have found that, when questions like this are asked, other people have no problem spending your money. I am actually a little surprised that no one has suggested that since you have four bodies you need four identical lenses. Think of the time savings.
#teamfourlenses

I can imagine having two lenses of the same focal length on two bodies, but not two identical lenses on film and digital. It seems wasteful to me.

I have the Summicron 50, Zeiss Sonnar 50 and Voigtlander 50/3.5 collapsible Heliar. Each has its own character and are sufficiently different to give quite pronounced looks. That's the limit I'd go to.

I second the recommendation for a fast 35 or two. The Voigtlander 35/1.4 is excellent, if you like the look it produces. The 35/1.2 is heavy and bulky, and I imagine the Zeiss 35/1.4 is similar in handling.

Old 06-02-2017   #78
Archiver

Quote:
That's what 24 hour lifelogging cameras are for.

Old 06-02-2017   #79
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Is owning of two identical lenses silly?
I use identical compact cameras as loaners. For example, I own 3 Canon SureShots and 9 Nikon L35 compacts. Since these cameras have identical fixed lenses, does this quality as owning identical lenses?

Nikon & Canon Compacts by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 06-02-2017   #80
Archiver

Now that I think of it, one occasion where I'd consider having two identical lenses is the Zeiss Sonnar C 50mm. One would be optimized for f2.8, as stock. The other would be optimized for f1.5. And I'd get them in black and chrome to be able to tell them apart!