summilux 35mm pre-asph.
Old 12-31-2016   #1
kengai

summilux 35mm pre-asph.

what is the Summilux 35mm pre-asph? how it acts on the M-P 240?

Old 12-31-2016   #2
Fraser

35mm f1.4 pre the aspherical version works fine on all Ms famous for 'Leica glow' when shot wide open, only annoying thing is its tricky to code as it has a different kind of lens mount.

Old 01-02-2017   #3
Chromacomaphoto

Have a look here for how it performs on various cameras:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=49501

Old 02-21-2017   #4
aldobonnard

I can compare with the 35mm v4 CRON and Zeiss 35mm f2 (which is equal in performance to the Leica 35 asph f2, albeit with better distortion).
The 35/1.4 Lux pre-asph (German made version) has no problem with using on a M digital. The profile exists in Leica M bodies => coding is not an issue at all.
At f/1.4 the pre-asph lux image is finely defined but with some glow in the finest structures.
At f/2, it's much better and already sharp, not as sharp as the summicron v4. However it will still equal the previous 35mm summicron versions.
At f/2.8 it's not as clinical sharp as the summicron v4 or the Zeiss, but not much to split them. Despite being less sharp (on a M digital), I prefer the summilux image because it won't bring moiré as much as the other lenses : lots of time saved in post processing.
At f/2.8, not much for the pre-asph summilux user to complain. Will remain less sharp than the cron v4 and Zeiss but not enough to justify one over the other.
From f/4, the summilux has a better resolution than the Cron v4, but not as good as the Zeiss and I suspect not as good as the Cron/Lux Asph.
A great advantage of the pre-asph lux over the modern asph is their zero-distortion.
Drawback: 35 lux (as well as 50 lux) lenses will exhibit a focus shift on M9/M240/M depending on the aperture and the distance. Each lens may behave differently depending on how the designer or serviceman has set up the sweet spot of the lens. This wasn't a problem with film-M's but definitely is with a digital M. I can confirm this from my renewed experience on a M9 serviced less two months ago service at Wetzlar.
Only solution not to be bothered, use summilux FLE lenses or digital-orientated summarit lenses.

Old 02-21-2017   #5
damonsong

I actually just did some test shots on my MP240 yesterday. I have to say it they turn out better than I expected, smooth across the frame and can be sharp enough once you step down to 2.8. Below are some of the test shots, I left them un-edit (out of camera bw jpg) so you can see if you like how it renders. Mine is the v2 canada version.

At 1.4
by damonsong, on Flickr

At 1.4
by damonsong, on Flickr

at 2.8
by damonsong, on Flickr

Old 02-21-2017   #6
fenixv8

from my research. I want one as well.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=159909

Old 02-21-2017   #7
maddoc
... likes film.

A couple of years ago, I did a direct comparison between the 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH (latest German made batch) and the 35mm Summicron vs4 and at f/2.0 the Summilux already had a better resolution and sharpness was better than the 35mm Summicron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldobonnard View Post
I can compare with the 35mm v4 CRON and Zeiss 35mm f2 (which is equal in performance to the Leica 35 asph f2, albeit with better distortion).
The 35/1.4 Lux pre-asph (German made version) has no problem with using on a M digital. The profile exists in Leica M bodies => coding is not an issue at all.
At f/1.4 the pre-asph lux image is finely defined but with some glow in the finest structures.
At f/2, it's much better and already sharp, not as sharp as the summicron v4. However it will still equal the previous 35mm summicron versions.
At f/2.8 it's not as clinical sharp as the summicron v4 or the Zeiss, but not much to split them. Despite being less sharp (on a M digital), I prefer the summilux image because it won't bring moiré as much as the other lenses : lots of time saved in post processing.
At f/2.8, not much for the pre-asph summilux user to complain. Will remain less sharp than the cron v4 and Zeiss but not enough to justify one over the other.
From f/4, the summilux has a better resolution than the Cron v4, but not as good as the Zeiss and I suspect not as good as the Cron/Lux Asph.
A great advantage of the pre-asph lux over the modern asph is their zero-distortion.
Drawback: 35 lux (as well as 50 lux) lenses will exhibit a focus shift on M9/M240/M depending on the aperture and the distance. Each lens may behave differently depending on how the designer or serviceman has set up the sweet spot of the lens. This wasn't a problem with film-M's but definitely is with a digital M. I can confirm this from my renewed experience on a M9 serviced less two months ago service at Wetzlar.
Only solution not to be bothered, use summilux FLE lenses or digital-orientated summarit lenses.

flickr
pBase

Old 02-21-2017   #8
sepiareverb
genius and moron

On the M9 I've printed a file shot through the summilux at F4 40x50", stunning.

Old 02-21-2017   #9
JHutchins

I did a comparison recently between a early version 2 Canadian Summilux (in fairly poor condition including a couple of meaningful scratches on the rear element) and a version 2 Canadian Summicron and I didn't think there was much to choose between them in evenly lit daylight scenes. In fact, to the extent I had a preference it was definitely for the Summilux at all apertures in such conditions. Where there are point light sources or very bright patches against a dark ground the Summilux is a bit more unruly until you get to f2.8 when it starts to get well behaved again. Overall I had a weak preference for the way the images from the Summilux look. The decision on which to keep was mostly a tradeoff between that extra stop of aperture and the Summicron's closer focusing distance -- really frustrating that the Summilux doesn't focus as closely as the Summicron. In the end, I kept the Summilux, warts and all and love it. Here's a shot from yesterday (stopped well down):

Old 02-22-2017   #10
damonsong

Great shot!

I feel the same way about the summilux, mine is in fairly great condition.

I had this lens for a couple of years now, I've never really use it until now that I sold the Cron v4. I was very impressed with the performance, and regretted I did not use this lens enough (or at all) while I had the M9.

If you can find one with the 12054 hood and price is not bad then that's the way to go. Since you can only mount a filter (I want to use ND filter) with the hood on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHutchins View Post
I did a comparison recently between a early version 2 Canadian Summilux (in fairly poor condition including a couple of meaningful scratches on the rear element) and a version 2 Canadian ...

Old 02-22-2017   #11
JHutchins

I bought one of the cheap reproductions of the 12504 hood on ebay. It took a while to arrive from Hong Kong but I'm perfectly satisfied with the shade itself and it does unscrew, like the original, to allow use of a Series VII filter. And a shade is quite important for this lens -- it's famously flare prone.

Old 02-22-2017   #12
damonsong

Thanks!

I actually ordered the same one too, I don't feel like 1-200 for a real one. The replica one still have not arrive yet, but it's good to know they work well because I was worry about the fitting.

Old 02-28-2017   #13
iaeaix

There is v1 and v2 Summilux 35mm pre-asph. I have seen post in this forum shows v1 Summilux, that I feel it is better performing than v2 and Summicron v4, I did not test it myself for the resolution type of test, but I found the v1 render overall better than v2, in my taste, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2017   #14
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeaix View Post
I found the v1 render overall better than v2
Yes, I agree, but the v1 is therefore much more expensive.

Erik.

Old 03-01-2017   #15
iaeaix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Yes, I agree, but the v1 is therefore much more expensive.

Erik.

Erik,
I have the V1 and V2 but never did side by side comparison (did not intend to anyway).
Although I did sometimes feel that when I use V1, but I have never been sure. so I got that feeling mostly based on your post, your posted photos from v1 was very nice.
Also saw it was said that v1 has 9 elements? Are you aware of anything like that?

Old 03-01-2017   #16
damonsong

Would you kindly do a quick comparison? I can't find any information out there to compare the result of them in detail. Very interesting!

Quote:
Erik,
I have the V1 and V2 but never did side by side comparison (did not intend to anyway).
Although I did sometimes feel that when I use V1, but I have never been sure. so I got that feeling mostly based on your post, your posted photos from v1 was very nice.
Also saw it was said that v1 has 9 elements? Are you aware of anything like that?

Old 03-01-2017   #17
kermaier

Careful! Some examples of the pre-aspherical Summilux cannot be used on some Leica digital M bodies. If it has the thicker rear element shroud, it can scrape against the inner baffles of an M9, when focused toward infinity.
Canon 35/2.8 LTM Lens

Old 03-03-2017   #18
iaeaix

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonsong View Post
Would you kindly do a quick comparison? I can't find any information out there to compare the result of them in detail. Very interesting!

What are you looking for?
I could do it but I need to know what kind of detail are we targeting.

Old 03-03-2017   #19
iaeaix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermaier View Post
Careful! Some examples of the pre-aspherical Summilux cannot be used on some Leica digital M bodies. If it has the thicker rear element shroud, it can scrape against the inner baffles of an M9, when focused toward infinity.

I agree we indeed need to be careful.

Old 03-05-2017   #20
damonsong

Thanks,

Maybe with a still object in the center, some distance between the object and the back ground. From F1.4 to f5.6?

Quote:
What are you looking for?
I could do it but I need to know what kind of detail are we targeting.

Old 03-05-2017   #21
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

I used to have the summilux pre-asph but found it not usable at 1.4. Way to soft. I can't afford the APSH summilux versions and have now settled on a summicron asph. 2.0 is fast enough for me anyway.

Old 04-07-2017   #22
edwliang

Quote:
I actually just did some test shots on my MP240 yesterday. I have to say it they turn out better than I expected, smooth across the frame and can be sharp enough once you step down to 2.8. Below are some of the test shots, I left them un-edit (out of camera bw jpg) so you can see if you like how it renders. Mine is the v2 canada version.
hi, may i ask what s/n your copy is?

Old 04-07-2017   #23
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Erik,

No, I've never heard it. The first version was made from exotic glass, so the lens was very expensive. Therefore it didn't sell. Leitz made a version with cheaper glass, from number 222XXXX. The first version is quite good at full aperture, but the second version is horrible. Later on the lens was improved, but I still find the first version the best. I also like the Ollux hood much better than the later one.

Erik.

Old 04-07-2017   #24
edwliang

Quote:
No, I've never heard it. The first version was made from exotic glass, so the lens was very expensive. Therefore it didn't sell. Leitz made a version with cheaper glass, from number 222XXXX. The first version is quite good at full aperture, but the second version is horrible. Later on the lens was improved, but I still find the first version the best. I also like the Ollux hood much better than the later one.

Erik.
Hi, Erik, what about the performance of early version 2 with metal infinity lock.?

Old 04-07-2017   #25
nobbylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel Fokkema View Post
I used to have the summilux pre-asph but found it not usable at 1.4. Way to soft. I can't afford the APSH summilux versions and have now settled on a summicron asph. 2.0 is fast enough for me anyway.
I've had a few and always ended up selling. Vastly over rated. Horrible wide open and I disliked the aperture ring too close to the hood.
For 35 I've settled on a biogon C
If you must have Leica on the front then the V4 or aspheric 35's are more than most of us need.

Old 04-08-2017   #26
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwliang View Post
Hi, Erik, what about the performance of early version 2 with metal infinity lock.?
The second version, with numbers from 222XXXX, is horrible. They are black and have metal infinity stops. Lenses of later series are improved, I don't know from wich number.

The first version has numbers from 176XXXX until 216XXXX. They are in chrome. (Some are in black.) These are the good ones. They are made from exotic glasses. They use the OLLUX shade. They are known as "steel rim". These lenses are very good indeed.

Leica M3, Summilux 35mm f/1.4 steel rim (goggles), Tmax400.

Erik.

Erik.

Old 04-08-2017   #27
astro8

I have a 216XXXX in black, but is a versionII.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-08-2017   #28
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro8 View Post
I have a 216XXXX in black, but is a versionII.
Probably a goggled one. It can be that it has the good glass. Did you try it?

Erik.

Old 04-08-2017   #29
astro8

Quote:
Probably a goggled one. It can be that it has the good glass. Did you try it?

Erik.
It is an M2 version, no goggles, brass infinity lock. Beautiful at 1.4, very sharp starting at f2, hence no need for a 35 summicron for me.
It is a wonderful lens, my favourite lens.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-08-2017   #30
edwliang

Quote:
The second version, with numbers from 222XXXX, is horrible. They are black and have metal infinity stops. Lenses of later series are improved, I don't know from wich number.

The first version has numbers from 176XXXX until 216XXXX. They are in chrome. (Some are in black.) These are the good ones. They are made from exotic glasses. They use the OLLUX shade. They are known as "steel rim". These lenses are very good indeed.

Leica M3, Summilux 35mm f/1.4 steel rim (goggles), Tmax400.

Erik.

Erik.

looks great and do not have any problem at all @full aperture! no glow. however, it is $7000~$10 000 and above now in China! gee

Old 04-08-2017   #31
damonsong

Quote:
hi, may i ask what s/n your copy is?
Sorry, I didn't see it until now.
Mine is V2(I think, no infinity lock). s/n is 26798xx.

Old 04-08-2017   #32
edwliang

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't see it until now.
Mine is V2(I think, no infinity lock). s/n is 26798xx.
thank you, the 1.4 pics are better than i expected/

Old 04-08-2017   #33
damonsong

Quote:
thank you, the 1.4 pics are better than i expected/
I think so too! I wish this can focus closer, and I know the one with infinity lock can do that. But I just dont feel like paying so much for it, with that price I might just get a modern lens that has better overall performance and let go the vintage look.

Old 04-08-2017   #34
Erik van Straten

Quote:
I wish this can focus closer, and I know the one with infinity lock can do that.
The ones with the infinity lock focus to 1 m (3 ft). The goggled ones focus to 0.65 m (about 2 ft). You can screw the optics of these lenses out of their mount and use them in another, just like a Summilux 50mm v1 or v2 or a Summicron rigid.

Erik.

Old 04-08-2017   #35
Erik van Straten

Quote:
It is an M2 version, no goggles, brass infinity lock. Beautiful at 1.4, very sharp starting at f2, hence no need for a 35 summicron for me.
Can you screw out the lens head (the optical unit) out of this one?

Erik.

Old 04-08-2017   #36
astro8

No, it doesn't just unscrew like on my rigid summicron.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-10-2017   #37
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I just got one recently that's in pretty decent shape, came with the original box and everything! It's a 1981 Canadian version (3140099), I will agree that it's not a superb performer wide open but I think it's definitely still usable, it's pretty usable from f/2 and very usable from f/2.8 onwards.

I also agree the aperture ring is a bit cramped but I don't often have to change my settings so I don't mind. I love how compact it is, though I do wish it focused to .7m as everyone else has said.

M-A | M240 | F | FM3A | GR

Instagram. | Website.

Old 04-10-2017   #38
Erik van Straten

Quote:
No, it doesn't just unscrew like on my rigid summicron.
OK, thank you, we can narrow down the change to 2167545.

Erik.

Old 06-17-2017   #39
AlejandroI

I have v2, really love the lens, except for the fact that it only focuses until 1 meter, thats what kills it for me. Yes the lens is not that sharp at 1.4, but is good enough, and closing to 2.0 its already very sharp.

Flare is a big issue, so you need to be careful when you shoot. Some examples with the m240:

L1004793 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

L1003836 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

L1003037 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

Untitled by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

L1000082-2 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

L1006191 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

L1005686 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

L1002157 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

Old 06-17-2017   #40
analoged

Great images Alejandro!

Guess I'll ask since its the thing we all complain about with the pre lux...

Any close focus mods?

I would assume it would have been done and posted somewhere if possible!