Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Frank Jackson on Street Photography

Frank Jackson on Street Photography I am happy and excited to announce a new RFF forum on Street Photography mentored by Frank Jackson, one of the best producers of analog B/W prints I have ever seen. His shows include the Open Shutter Gallery, Heriard-Cimino Gallery, and Ogden Museum of Southern Art. His images are in the collections of Smithsonian Ogden Museum of Southern Art, California Afro American Museum and Xavier University New Orleans LA. He has worked for or has been featured with Visa Card, Xerox, UCLA, Eric Owen Moss, Architect, Hasselblad Forum (cover),Gordon Parks, Muhammed Ali, Million Man March Wash. DC, Lionel Hampton, jazz legion photographer , 1995-2002, Stevie Wonder, B+W Magazine (British version) twice, Rangefinder Magazine, Dahon Bicycles, Arelli Wheels, Real Product Design, Automobile Club of Southern California. Frank's online images are at fotographz.500px.com and fotographzfrankjackson.tumblr.com . "While on this diverse photographic journey…I have to say during this whole time my love for fine art black and white photography kept growing. I always found time to shoot in different cities and my own personal work…this has sustained me through some very tough times. As of 2012, with the help of a very good friend I maintain a state-of-the-art dream darkroom. The darkroom helps greatly in the on-going practice of understanding “the light”, being able to process film and print drives me to keep my digital photography “organic”. I’m curious visually and shooting what’s, what on the street feeds this curiosity. Everyday I walk out my front door to “see” the world with a digital camera, a film camera, the “cup” and an open mind (mostly).

Are you happy with the quality of your street photography?
Old 09-02-2015   #1
Hsg
who dares wins

In my own case, I feel that I have exhausted the subject and I cannot do anything 'better'.

Old 09-02-2015   #2
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I checked yours Flickr. Check mine not for better, but different street photography. Toronto included.
I'm not exosted or explored on this subject. I haven't even learned how to use 28mm properly

Old 09-02-2015   #3
bonatto
looking out

Some of your photos are interesting and you seem to look out for the right* sort of things.

Try stepping closer.

*there is no right thing.

Old 09-02-2015   #4
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

I haven't been generally happy with any of my photography. That's why I keep trying to learn.

Old 09-02-2015   #5
paulfish4570

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! mine is horrible ...

Old 09-02-2015   #6
Addy101

Like the others said, your learning potential isn't exhausted yet. Also, why is it important? Move to another kind of photography and learn that, go back to street and use what you just learned. Easy.

In my job I have to train people to do their task. It takes about two years to make them qualified to do the job well - but after about a year almost all feel that they can do the job and that they don't need any guidance any more, they're wrong. I feel, looking at your pictures, your at the one year stage - you have to hang in there and see more different stuff. IMHO of course.

Old 09-02-2015   #7
Jockos

I don't work as a photographer, I don't compete, it's only for my own satisfaction, and don't do much street, but I'm generally happy with the street shots I post - not all shots are keepers of course.

If there are two things I don't like in street shots it's (subjectively) bad light, often strong sun in the middle of the day, and pictures where nothing happens, like people just walking, standing, sitting.

Personally I'd avoid shots like these:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hsg_toronto/17173040546/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hsg_toronto/19338088165/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hsg_toronto/19312001876/

This is not in any way a personal offense against you, it's just the kind of images that I don't enjoy watching or taking.

I want good light and something quirky going on.

Nice soft light, weird composition:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...photoid=236475

Poor light, something odd happening though:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...photoid=248116

Guy bashing a watch with a hammer :
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...photoid=248202

Dramatic light, a bit scary subject:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...photoid=248200

How about you try to chase some good light for us?

Da gallery

Old 09-02-2015   #8
p.giannakis

Luckily enough, i don't feel anywhere near being happy with my street photography therefore i keep trying and hope for the better...

Old 09-02-2015   #9
Scapevision
90% Film

Oh haha, you did exhaust it, i'm kidding, you're probably just in a rut. choose something else and get inspired by looking at the masters. And also, I am in Toronto as well, but I have a completely different view

Old 09-02-2015   #10
jsrockit

Happy? Sure, I keep seeing progress. Satisfied? No... I have so many things I could do better.

Old 09-02-2015   #11
airfrogusmc

I think the street's limitless in scope and as varied as there are photographers. Instead of measuring your work against others maybe the answer is trying to find what might be different from the others in your own work and push in that direction. i have seen some really interesting images that you have shared here.

Old 09-02-2015   #12
bonatto
looking out

Oh, shoot for yourself and study other people's work, if you want.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gustavominas/

Old 09-02-2015   #13
BlackXList

Absolutely not, and I never will be, as Airfrogmusic just said, it's limitless in scope.

I'm not "satisfied" with any aspect of my photography, the minute I am would be the minute I stop growing.

Old 09-02-2015   #14
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

I admire this -- but the timing seems ever so slightly off. But who can judge speed in a still? (wish the far left group was not exiting the frame)

Old 09-02-2015   #15
jky

I'm happy that I think I'm "seeing" things more consistently, but I'm only satisfied with the product.

Old 09-03-2015   #16
Hsg
who dares wins

I appreciate those of you who commented on my photos.

Old 09-03-2015   #17
willie_901

One aspect of street photography is socio-econmic documentation.

Since the socio-econmic is constantly evolving/devolving, in my view, it's not possible to exhaust the subject. It's a moving target.

If you enjoy street work, why not try some different venues?

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-14-2015   #18
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post

In my own case, I feel that I have exhausted the subject and I cannot do anything 'better'.
In my opinion, the common denominator in your photos seems to be the distance between you and your subjects, which always seems to be substantial, as if you are afraid to get closer perhaps for fear of being caught.
I recognize many of scenes you've shot because we prowl many of the same neighbourhoods, and think that you might consider taking a bit more aggressive approach by moving in closer to change your viewpoints, which I believe will improve your work.
And forgive me for saying it, but you haven't even begun to exhaust the subject matter.
Robert

Old 09-14-2015   #19
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Not really, I feel like I'm still not making the kind of photography I want to be making and the kind I enjoy looking at

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 09-14-2015   #20
JohnBeeching

I think I am getting there.
Hands by John Beeching, on Flickr

Hero by John Beeching, on Flickr

London by John Beeching, on Flickr

Thirsty by John Beeching, on Flickr

Old 09-14-2015   #21
Roger Hicks

If you are happy with it, you probably don't understand what it is. Either that or you're really, really good (clue: most of us aren't).

Universality is the clue. If everyone can recognize the situation (this is not the same as understanding it) then you're getting there. As JohnBeeching says, he's getting there, though he ain't necessarily there yet.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-14-2015   #22
back alley
IMAGES

yes & no...

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 09-14-2015   #23
fotographz

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post

yes & no...
ditto to the above...AND I do see amazing images by other photographers herethat I wish I had taken...this is one of the things that inspires me.

moments captured
time stopped,
lives made still.
the dark truth-
a bright lie-
neither bad.
neither good.
this simplicity, pure
stolen moments.