Glossy BP Summaron 3.5 Goggles - rare?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
flagellum

Glossy BP Summaron 3.5 Goggles - rare?

Hi all,

Recently got my first Leica (M3 SS), which came with a goggled 35mm f3.5 Summaron lens. I got to looking around for info about the lens online, and noticed something peculiar - virtually all of the photos online show the Summaron goggles as having a rougher, almost hammertone-esque texture. On my copy, however, the goggles are painted glossy black and are smooth to the touch/eye. The accents/rear of the goggles are chrome, so I don't think it's a black paint goggle that's been stuck on a chrome lens, and the paint job is smooth enough that it would have to be a very well-done customization if it was one.

The only example I've been able to find was attached to a prototype Summaron at a Westlicht auction. My lens serial number doesn't fall into any special range as far as I know (1360708) so I don't think I've struck gold in that regard.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the case here? Additionally, does this increase the value of the lens at all?

I've attached a photo below, would love to hear your thoughts on my situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0250.jpg (21.1 KB, 23 views)

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Erik van Straten

This is a normal M3-version (but can be used on all M-Leicas). On your lens the goggles can be removed (loosen the screw on top). Only the later ones, from 1958 or so, had the black crinckle-paint.

However, your version is not very common. Also, the f/3.5 Summaron is better than the f/2.8 version (above all in the corners).

In use, the goggles must be installed, if they are not, focusing will be incorrect.

Erik.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
flagellum

Thanks, Erik! Anyone have any idea whether this version would command a significant premium over the more common version? I'll probably keep the lens around, but if it's highly collectible or something I'd rather use it to fund something a bit faster than 3.5.