Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole /

Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Dedicated to Lomo (NOT the same as Lomography) / Diana, Holga and Pinhole and photography. Not recommended for those endlessly obsessing over the sharpest lens.

Lomo Lubitel 166B
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
ujkozavlanje

Lomo Lubitel 166B

Hey, everyone, a friend of mine is selling his Lubitel 166B, since he's not into photography, he's a bit of a tech-geek, so i've decided to take advantage of that fact.
He's giving it away for about $20 and it's got all the bits, the lens cap, the leather case and a tripod. Not a bad deal for $20. Has anyone here used one? What can i expect from it?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Stelios

Soft images and low contrast. Great if that's your cup of tea. Pretty straightforward to use I found. I couldn't be bothered with mine so gave it away.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Nikos72

It all depends on the condition of the camera. A well maintained one delivers sharp and contrasty photos.

Here is a bw sample from my Lubitel 2:

It beats many a lot more expensive medium format cameras.
The 166B has the same Triplet T-22 lens.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Lubitel 2 has nothing to do with 166B. L-2 was improved copy of Viogtlander Brilliant camera. But 166B is true Lomo camera. Light leaks and flares. Declined, as all in late USSR, quality. So, it depends on each camera individually. Some might have rusted springs and other parts due to crappy metal. Some might have gunk instead of lubrication by now. Some might be mis-aligned.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
ujkozavlanje

This one as far as i can tell has not been used much, it's really near mint, i think it has spent more time stored in the case, than out of it. The light leaks should be easily resolved with EVA foam, or is that not possible with Lubi?
I've seen that there is a Lubitel 2 but to me they look the same. Is there any significant difference between tbe two?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Seating on shelf doesn't mean anything. Late FSU cameras (and else) were prone to bad quality. Many were not working, yet, sold. I don't think foam will be needed, but blackening shiny inner parts. 166B are also prone for failing shutter.

20$ is not so expensive lottery ticket, BTW. I would play.