Old 11-18-2016   #41
Stephen G

Central Park colors have been great the last few weeks, enjoy!
I'm going to be in HK for a long layover and Fotopia was on the list, will have to sort it to the top now!

As it turns out JCH is out of the 35/1.4 I was looking for and said there's no more being made..

Old 11-18-2016   #42
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
But what if the emotion is sadness?
An emotion, nonetheless.

Last edited by mpaniagua : 11-18-2016 at 09:31. Reason: spelling correction.

Old 11-27-2016   #43
Archlich

Finally got mine today. Beside some tooling marks around the body it also makes a (rather metallic) rattling noise when shaken. Sounds ominous, as if some elements were loose, which reminds me of the 45/2.8 AI-P Nikkor I purchased off the 'bay a few weeks ago that turned out to have its 2nd and 3rd group installed in wrong order.

Anyone know if this noise is normal?

Old 12-02-2016   #44
Stephen G

Was able to pickup the MS Optics x Map Camera 35/1.4 in Tokyo @ Map Camera

It is a really cool store, quite a selection for Leica shooters
Probably has 4x more used Leica lenses than all NY camera shops combined

Old 12-02-2016   #45
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
Probably has 4x more used Leica lenses than all NY camera shops combined
Agreed, I was shocked at how nice that store is.

Old 12-25-2016   #46
kengai

has anyone tried this lens on M-P 240?

Old 01-12-2017   #47
kengai

I just had this lens, but I can not remove the front cap. Can someone help me?

Old 01-12-2017   #48
pyeh

Kengai,
I got out my copy, thinking how hard can it be, and lo! I had the same problem as you. These thin flat caps that MS makes have too fine a screw thread and get buggered up all the time. I had to send one lens (a different model) back to fix just the cap issue, or rather the female thread on the lens.
Anyway, I managed to unscrew my cap by holding the lens upside down while getting my finger nails into the two recesses on the cap, then turning the cap while tapping it up into the lens every so often to jiggle the cap down, and eventually it came out sufficiently to grab the rim of the cap and finish the motion.
As a further note, I managed to find a 28 dia. filter for the lens. This screws onto the lens nicely, but the lens hood then does not screw tightly onto the filter. It spins loosely without ever tightening. Frustrating. Might have to use plumber's tape or perhaps clear nail polish.

Old 01-13-2017   #49
pyeh

To clarify my post above, the lens I had to return for repair was the 24/4 (I think) whose lens cap had lost its perimeter thread. I thought the lens female (receiving) thread might also have been damaged, but it was just the cap. In any case, the MS flat aluminium screw-on lens caps are trouble.

Old 01-14-2017   #50
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Kengai,
I got out my copy, thinking how hard can it be, and lo! I had the same problem as you. These thin flat caps that MS makes have too fine a screw thread and get buggered up all the time. I had to send one lens (a different model) back to fix just the cap issue, or rather the female thread on the lens.
Anyway, I managed to unscrew my cap by holding the lens upside down while getting my finger nails into the two recesses on the cap, then turning the cap while tapping it up into the lens every so often to jiggle the cap down, and eventually it came out sufficiently to grab the rim of the cap and finish the motion.
As a further note, I managed to find a 28 dia. filter for the lens. This screws onto the lens nicely, but the lens hood then does not screw tightly onto the filter. It spins loosely without ever tightening. Frustrating. Might have to use plumber's tape or perhaps clear nail polish.
I agree with you, these Miyazaki pancakes are notoriously difficult to operate with those tiny screw-in caps, weird filter sizes and non-existent ergonomics on the aperture ring. Especially the aperture ring, which would be very nice if it was toothed instead of just having two recesses...

I found it easier to just use the hood with a push-on cap. I'm considering using a 28mm filter as well, do you find yours free of vignetting on the lens?

-

My lens had a loose element (which resulted in a hefty focus shift), a mismatching mount that could not lock properly, and some random tooling marks.

It came back from Mr. Miyazaki yesterday. He mend it rather crudely:

It's working fine though. Gotta shoot some rolls soon.

Old 01-15-2017   #51
pyeh

Archlich, I just tried the lens on my M240, with and without filter, but with hood attached, and there seems to be no difference in vignetting. There is strong light fall-off though at smaller apertures, with and without filter.
Because the hood doesn't screw tight into the filter (as I mentioned above), I can't use both filter and hood together since you have to grip the hood to adjust aperture. The filter I have is a "Hoya Digital 28mm/0.75 UV[N] HMC".

Old 01-22-2017   #52
Archlich

Quote:
Archlich, I just tried the lens on my M240, with and without filter, but with hood attached, and there seems to be no difference in vignetting. There is strong light fall-off though at smaller apertures, with and without filter.
Because the hood doesn't screw tight into the filter (as I mentioned above), I can't use both filter and hood together since you have to grip the hood to adjust aperture. The filter I have is a "Hoya Digital 28mm/0.75 UV[N] HMC".
Thanks Peter. I borrowed an A7R2 this weekend and found the B+W 28mm filter I fetched for the lens would cause consistent vignetting. Guess I'd go for the Hoya.

Old 01-22-2017   #53
pyeh

Archlich,
My test was pretty quick and dirty. I got a feeling if you saw vignetting with the B+W filter, you'll see it with the Hoya. I tested mine on an M240 with coding turned off.
Out of interest, did you test whether the hood screwed tightly onto the B+W filter?
Thanks

Old 01-26-2017   #54
Archlich

Peter, the hood does screw fine into the B+W filter.

Old 01-26-2017   #55
pyeh

Thanks Archlich. Might try and get hold of one of those.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #56
Stephengv

Any samples?

Old 4 Days Ago   #57
matpar

Quote:
Stephen G, I got mine from Japan Camera Hunter by mail order, but I'm pretty sure you could pick one up from him in Tokyo, if he has stock.

Hi, sorry to pick up again this thread, but any idea if there is a way to phisically get the lens directly from JCH locally in Tokyo?

Gonna be there by end of october, so in case I could be picking it up directly..

Old 4 Days Ago   #58
pyeh

Matpar, I get the impression from reading his blog that he's an approachable guy. He doesn't have a retail outlet but he has an office, which for all I know might be in his home, in which case he probably doesn't want visitors. I'd drop him a line through his contact page and see what he says. He might, for instance, meet you somehwere by arrangement.
I also think there are Tokyo camera stores that sell his lenses, like MAP. Perhaps other members can advise about this.

Old 4 Days Ago   #59
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Ask through Bellamy from Japan Camera Hunter, he's the 'marketing guy' if I'm not mistaking

Old 4 Days Ago   #60
pyeh

Matpar, you know Archlich has his copy for sale in the classifieds?

Old 2 Days Ago   #61
matpar

Quote:
Matpar, I get the impression from reading his blog that he's an approachable guy. He doesn't have a retail outlet but he has an office, which for all I know might be in his home, in which case he probably doesn't want visitors. I'd drop him a line through his contact page and see what he says. He might, for instance, meet you somehwere by arrangement.
I also think there are Tokyo camera stores that sell his lenses, like MAP. Perhaps other members can advise about this.
Thank you Pyeh for the advice, and let me know about this if he gives any feedback. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Ask through Bellamy from Japan Camera Hunter, he's the 'marketing guy' if I'm not mistaking
Already did, he has one left in fact, but unfortunately I am not 100% sure to be able to collect it in october, plus he cannot make "duty free" as I understood. So I'd rather take the risk of having to search (and not necessarily find) in october in Tokyo, instead of having the trouble of shipping + duties etc..

Quote:
Matpar, you know Archlich has his copy for sale in the classifieds?

Honestly, I don't even know yet where the calssifieds are here

I'll take a look, cheers!

M.