Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Old 06-04-2017   #41
MikeL
Go Fish

I had a hardly used V1 that came with an M4 (the M4 was like new too). It had zero haze on the lens. I wanted to like it but it flared too much for me. Pretty sharp stopped down though, especially in the center.

To me, there's too many good 35mm's out there for a lot less.

Old 06-05-2017   #42
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I can confirm Feriders statement that the v1 forms a nice pair with the 50mm rigid. Same type of rendering. However, sometimes it flares, even with very clean glass. (not in this shot)

Leica M2, Summicron 35mm f/2 v1, Tmax400.

Erik.

Erik,

I love my Rigid. I will kinda state something helpful: the Leica 12585 hood and Leica 14033 hood cap are designed for both the 50 Rigid and 35 V1 Cron. Also both 39mm filter size.

It does kinda make it easy to pair a 50 Rigid with a 35 V.1 Cron to share the accessories and to make your kit mucho compact.

Cal

Old 06-05-2017   #43
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
I also bought my M2 from Westlicht, and my 50/2 DR Summicron - both super clean with no flaws. I live down under. I haven't had my Summicron 35 flare yet. And that scan - looks great. I bet you didn't even process or sharpen then image?
Correct, Teddy, no sharpening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
I had a hardly used V1 that came with an M4 (the M4 was like new too). It had zero haze on the lens. I wanted to like it but it flared too much for me. Pretty sharp stopped down though, especially in the center.
Hmm. There must be sample differences wrt flare. I just tried to quantify the flare of mine ... It's 7am, and the Sun is already quite bright in CA. First, this is how I shoot the lens (the hood is a Chinese 12504 knock-off):

Shooting from right to left, until the Sun is in the shot (when the first ghosts appear), all at f5.6:

Behaves pretty well for a single-coated lens, in my experience. One more, to show how the lens behaves stopping down - this is at f4. Inside the red rectangle, the lens outperforms the 240's sensor.

Roland.

Old 06-06-2017   #44
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Correct, Teddy, no sharpening.
Hmm. There must be sample differences wrt flare. I just tried to quantify the flare of mine ... It's 7am, and the Sun is already quite bright in CA. First, this is how I shoot the lens (the hood is a Chinese 12504 knock-off):

Shooting from right to left, until the Sun is in the shot (when the first ghosts appear), all at f5.6:

Behaves pretty well for a single-coated lens, in my experience. One more, to show how the lens behaves stopping down - this is at f4. Inside the red rectangle, the lens outperforms the 240's sensor.

Roland.
Great examples here. Honestly, unless for artistic purposes - it's best never to shoot at the sun. There are times when getting flare in the frame is necessary for effect. For most photos, shooting at the sun will make a boring shot, or a bad one unless using fill flash - which for Leica means ZERO - practically.