Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Strap recommendations for Leica M5
Old 05-02-2017   #1
Robert Lai

Strap recommendations for Leica M5

I know that there have been threads from several years ago on this subject. The strap lugs of the M5 require a flat strap without split rings.

One thread asked for the original Leica M5 strap.
I wouldn't recommend any old leather strap for a camera, even if it is made by (or for) Leica. That ancient leather strap is just going to break one day, and the camera is going to go crashing down.

Other people have recommended the Domke gripper:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...era_Strap.html

Op tech EZ comfort strap:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ck.html?sts=pi

My personal recommendation is Nikon's AN-48:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...eck_Strap.html
The Nikon exudes quality.
Unlike the Domke, it has the least number of geegaws and attachments onto the strap.

Unlike the Op-Tech, its shoulder pad isn't so springy that you fear the pad and strap are just going to rip apart if the going gets heavy.

Also, the Nikon strap has NO labeling on the strap itself, except for tiny "Nikon" logos cast into the plastic buckles.

Yes, you can pay a lot and get custom straps made by Luigi et al., but I think these ones here represent the most readily available and usable straps. I've bought all of them at one time or another.
I don't have any reason for recommending B&H except that they're the people that I've purchased from. I'm posting this just to summarize my experience for any future M5 buyers.

Old 05-02-2017   #2
Huss

I read this comment on B&H about the Nikon strap:

"Nicely made, narrow strap. But it is only 48" long end to end before you attach your camera. So unless you only want to wear it around your neck and have your camera sit high on your chest, find a different strap. Trouble is that most of the narrow straps are also on the short side."

I use the Op Tech with my Nikon F6 and it is incredible as to how much lighter and more comfortable it makes the camera feel on my shoulder. My M5 w/ Nokton 50 1.1 is a heavy set up and the Nikon strap u link to looks too thin to be comfortable.

Old 05-02-2017   #3
Robert Lai

Hi Huss,
The Nikon strap is 1 inch wide. It has a thin pad of rubber on the inside surface for grip.

I'm 5' 10" in height, which is the median North American male height.
With my M5, the camera will tuck in at my waist if I sling it diagonally across from one shoulder. If I just let it hang from my neck, it goes down to my umbilicus. This is at the height that I've set it at. At its greatest extent, it could go down a 2 more inches on each side.

As for weight, for an M5, the strap is wide enough. The strap material is softly flexible, and not stiff either.

Old 05-02-2017   #4
Hatchetman

I have the two lug model. Thinking about buying a piece of unfinished leather strap and bringing it to the shoemaker to sew it together like a belt. The straps mentioned above do not slide from "holster" position to eye position.

Old 05-02-2017   #5
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I read this comment on B&H about the Nikon strap:

"Nicely made, narrow strap. But it is only 48" long end to end before you attach your camera. So unless you only want to wear it around your neck and have your camera sit high on your chest, find a different strap.
FWIW, on the website of Gordy's Camera Straps, it says 40" is a typical and common length for neck straps. I'm not familiar with the Nikon straps; maybe some of their length gets used up by being doubled back at the attachment points?

Old 05-02-2017   #6
damonsong

I have a 3 lugs M5. I happened to have a leather strap that I custom order while I bought my GF1, and it works perfectly on the M5. Each side is adjustable like belt, I've also tried the Gordy strap(which works good too) and the Leica OEM M5 strap(it's designed for 2 lugs, which I'm not used to the carrying position)).

Old 05-02-2017   #7
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I have been using the Op Tech strap. No problem so far.

Old 05-02-2017   #8
Robert Lai

Well, for the past 30 minutes or so I have been walking around my room with a 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit (the one with goggles) on my M5, and a Metz 40-MZ-3i flash (with 4 AA batteries) in the hot shoe, and an Arca Swiss type quick release tripod plate on the bottom. Using the Nikon strap.

I'm not dying with this setup.
The hip actually takes up most of the weight when you wear the camera diagonally across. The strap is soft enough that it drapes over the the back and shoulder to spread the load.

I doubt that your Nokton is THIS heavy.

Old 05-02-2017   #9
Hatchetman

Would love to see the original 2-lug strap if anyone has a picture of one!

Old 05-02-2017   #10
Doug

I like the straps from Contax cameras. After experience with the G1/G2 cameras I bought a few extra straps from KEH. They are an elegant grey leather with non-slip suede surface on the inner side, and then each end has a length of narrow nylon material. There are also wider ones that I think were for the Contax SLRs. Very nice straps at very modest cost.

I was really disappointed with the strap that came with a newer Leica M, shiny and slippery on the inner surface... slides off my shoulder too easily.

Old 05-03-2017   #11
damonsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Would love to see the original 2-lug strap if anyone has a picture of one!

ITs just a long leather belt, I'll find it later and post a picture!

Old 05-03-2017   #12
Hatchetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonsong View Post
ITs just a long leather belt, I'll find it later and post a picture!
OK thanks! Would like to make one as close to the original if possible.

Old 05-03-2017   #13
JoeLopez

I recently purchased the Hawkesmill Westminster 130cm strap for my Niokn F3/T. Take a look at the styles they offer if you haven't already

https://hawkesmill.com/product/westm...r-nikon-black/

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 05-03-2017   #14
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

I totally agree with Robert, the Nikon AN-4B strap is a bit of a hidden gem in my opinion. I use it with my M5 and it is perfect. Actually, I use it on all my other M's and my Nikons! For me it is pretty much the perfect strap. Nikon used to supply it free with certain models, it's tough, discreet and most importantly doesn't get in the way. For me it would be hard to beat and I've used them for years.

Regards

Simon

Old 05-03-2017   #15
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
Hi Huss,
The Nikon strap is 1 inch wide. It has a thin pad of rubber on the inside surface for grip.

I'm 5' 10" in height, which is the median North American male height.
With my M5, the camera will tuck in at my waist if I sling it diagonally across from one shoulder. If I just let it hang from my neck, it goes down to my umbilicus. This is at the height that I've set it at. At its greatest extent, it could go down a 2 more inches on each side.

As for weight, for an M5, the strap is wide enough. The strap material is softly flexible, and not stiff either.
Thanks for the extra info Robert, I'll look into it as I am your size.

Old 05-04-2017   #16
damonsong

Quote:
OK thanks! Would like to make one as close to the original if possible.
I took some pictures of it, along with the original case. But realized its hard to explain through pictures, so I just made a short video about the strap and case.

Leica M5 original strap and case

Last edited by damonsong : 05-04-2017 at 20:30. Reason: add thumbnail

Old 05-04-2017   #17
Hatchetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonsong View Post
I took some pictures of it, along with the original case. But realized its hard to explain through pictures, so I just made a short video about the strap and case.

Leica M5 original strap and case
That is really really helpful! It turns out I actually have one of those straps (didn't know what it was actually) but the leather is all brittle. I am going to have a new one made. And I agree, that case situation does not look very useful other than for storage in a bag.

Old 05-04-2017   #18
Archlich

I have like 4 Nikon AN-4B as my go-to no frills straps. A benefit that's unmatched by the nice leather ones: it's washable!

For heavier cameras I ended up with an assortment of A&A cloth and OP/TECH Envy straps. All washable and breath well in the humid, scorching weather that's coming to my area very soon.

Old 05-04-2017   #19
damonsong

Quote:
That is really really helpful! It turns out I actually have one of those straps (didn't know what it was actually) but the leather is all brittle. I am going to have a new one made. And I agree, that case situation does not look very useful other than for storage in a bag.
Great too know my short and poorly filmed video make sense. I've not done it before, had to shoot and edit it on my iPhone.
I believe the CL has the same design too, even the same design of case. Hope the video can help others make their decisions to get the OEM strap/case or not.
They both are really great cameras, it's sad that they have such bad reputation and most people shy away from them before even give them a try(actually shoot them for a couple of days). M5 was actually my first Leica, and I'm so glad I decided to go against others recommendations.

Old 05-04-2017   #20
Hatchetman

I have used an M4 my father in law has and when I was able to handle the M5 I was like "WOW! I love this viewfinder!" I also like the "brutalist" design and the all black version. Through the lens lightmeter is also a nice to have. Problem is very few can fix the darn thing.

Old 05-04-2017   #21
DrMcCoy

Not joking when I say the strap that comes with Fujifilm cameras (the Instax Mini 90 and the X100s at least) is perfect for the M5. Fits right in the lugs, totally secure. Not sure if they sell that by itself but you could buy the Mini90 for fun and use the strap on your M5.

Old 05-04-2017   #22
benmacphoto

I use the Domke gripper on my M5.
As it's my favorite strap and I use them on all of my cameras.

Website

Old 05-04-2017   #23
Robert Lai

Hatchetman,
The few that can fix an M5 are the few that I'd recommend for any Leica M:
Don Goldberg
Gus Lazzari.

The Lady in Upstate NY is sometimes cold, sometimes hot. I hear she loves the M5 though.

My M5 needed a new battery compartment. I suspect that Gus had to buy one from her.

Straps for Voigltander Bessa IIIW and Fujica GS645 = same as M5
Old 05-04-2017   #24
Robert Lai

Straps for Voigltander Bessa IIIW and Fujica GS645 = same as M5

I just realized that these two cameras have the exact lug configuration as a two lug M5.

For these, I've already put on a Voigtlander strap (seems narrow on the neck at 20mm), and a Leica strap that I got from our German RFFer LChanyungco. The Leica strap is broad in the neck, but the part going to the camera is only half as thick as the Voigltander or Nikon strap's.