Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-11-2010   #41
Richard G

I remember in the '70s the back page of the National Geographic was always a Minolta SLR ?SRT101.

Old 12-12-2010   #42
Sparrow

My daughter uses a x700 to good effect

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 12-12-2010   #43
David Murphy

Minolta MD glass is almost unbelievably good quality for the money. Unfortunately threads like this will eventually cause the prices to go up!
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 12-12-2010   #44
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy View Post
Minolta MD glass is almost unbelievably good quality for the money. Unfortunately threads like this will eventually cause the prices to go up!
Yes but there are always garage sales!

Here's the 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor with Canon EOS adapter:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03584.jpg (51.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Nokton48 : 12-12-2010 at 01:57.

Old 12-12-2010   #45
tlitody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I have five or six black SRT101 bodies, and the motorized SRM pro model, and I'm happy as a clam. The 21mm F2.8 MC, 35mm F1.8 MC, 50mm F1.2 MC, 85mm F1.7 MC, and the 100mm f2.5 MC are all my favorites. All MC Rokkor lenses are great, I much prefer them to Nikon.
Just curious but where does that expression come from? Why are clams noted for being happy?

Old 12-12-2010   #46
Jack Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
Just curious but where does that expression come from? Why are clams noted for being happy?
Here's a googled explanation since I had no idea.

Quote:
Why would clams be happy? It has been suggested that open clams give the appearance of smiling. The derivation is more likely to come from the fuller version of the phrase, now rarely heard - 'as happy as a clam at high water'. Hide tide is when clams are free from the attentions of predators; surely the happiest of times in the bivalve mollusc world. The phrase originated in the north-eastern states of the USA in the early 19th century. The earliest citation that I can find is from a frontier memoir The Harpe's Head - A Legend of Kentucky, 1833:

Old 12-12-2010   #47
Jack Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Yes but there are always garage sales!

Here's the 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor with Canon EOS adapter:
The 58/1.2 is among a few elite exceptions in Rokkor lenses that sells for a few $. I'd love to find one at a garage sale.

Most of them on the other hand you can hardly give away. I see ordinary standard 50/1.7 copies for instance, molding away in junk stores and flea markets all the time. Sad.

sorrow
Old 12-12-2010   #48
kubilai

sorrow

Among biggest remorse in my life is having sold my 85/1.7 MD with immaculate original case and shade. Such a lens makes beautiful images and is also truly usefull.

Last edited by kubilai : 12-12-2010 at 04:34.

Old 12-12-2010   #49
raid
Dad Photographer

I don't own any Minolta camera but have three Minolta lenses. The Rokkor-M 28mm/2.8 for the Leica, plus a 21mm/4 and a 35mm/2.8 which I use with a Minolta-Leica adapter. The lenses are very sharp and have excllent bokeh. The images by the 21mm lens have a vintage look, which can be reduced with PS.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-13-2010   #50
Ranchu

My Dad had a SRT 102 when I was little. One day, he can't remember exactly why, he decided to take apart his 35mm 2.8 HG. It must be said that the grease in these old Rokkors can be pretty sticky, maybe it was something to do with that. Anyway, after my third attempt, I have finally gotten it back together right!!!

Old 12-13-2010   #51
Riverman

After starting this thread, in a fit of GAS I picked up an SRT201 and 50mm f1.7 on the auction site this weekend. Having donated my own Minolta kit to my bro it's cost me exceedingly little to put together another set up. I don't know if others find the same but I just find the look of Minolta lenses much smoother and warmer than Nikon - I find my AIS lenses a bit too 'cold' and 'clinical' in comparison.

Old 12-13-2010   #52
Ranchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
After starting this thread, in a fit of GAS I picked up an SRT201 and 50mm f1.7 on the auction site this weekend. Having donated my own Minolta kit to my bro it's cost me exceedingly little to put together another set up. I don't know if others find the same but I just find the look of Minolta lenses much smoother and warmer than Nikon - I find my AIS lenses a bit too 'cold' and 'clinical' in comparison.
I agree. I have the MC version of that lens, it is a beauty! I got a SRT 201 last week to go with my SR-1. Great cameras. Happy shooting!

Old 12-13-2010   #53
Riverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
My Dad had a SRT 102 when I was little. One day, he can't remember exactly why, he decided to take apart his 35mm 2.8 HG. It must be said that the grease in these old Rokkors can be pretty sticky, maybe it was something to do with that. Anyway, after my third attempt, I have finally gotten it back together right!!!
Good work! Any shots from the lens?

Old 12-13-2010   #54
raid
Dad Photographer

Rokkor-W 21mm/4.0: non-retro focus lens on Leica M6

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-13-2010   #55
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Rokkor 58/1.2 at 1:1.2. Nokton 35/1.2, eat your heart out

Another gem is the rare 35mm 1:1.8

Old 12-14-2010   #56
Ranchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Good work! Any shots from the lens?
Not yet! It was literally yesterday that I got it fixed. It's kind of a tricky thing inside. Part of the problem is I didn't know what my Dad might have done with it, so I didn't have a known good state. I'll post some when I get em! Lovely pics people have posted here, the colors (and bw's) look so true!

Last edited by Ranchu : 12-14-2010 at 16:54.

Old 12-18-2010   #57
Ranger Copy
One Stop Short

I took a gifted SRT101 which I had CLA'd and used it for the first time in Vegas a week a go. It was the most difficult camera to load film into. I missed too many shots. Haven't had time to take any rolls in for development, but I'm not hoping for much.

Old 12-28-2010   #58
unohuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Copy View Post
I took a gifted SRT101 which I had CLA'd and used it for the first time in Vegas a week a go. It was the most difficult camera to load film into. I missed too many shots. Haven't had time to take any rolls in for development, but I'm not hoping for much.
More difficult than a bottom-loading RF? I haven't used an SR for some time now, but I found them easy to load. My last was an SR-7 that I regret selling along with my 85 f/1.7. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Old 12-28-2010   #59
Fawley

Quote:
Originally Posted by unohuu View Post
More difficult than a bottom-loading RF? I haven't used an SR for some time now, but I found them easy to load. My last was an SR-7 that I regret selling along with my 85 f/1.7. Dumb, dumb, dumb!
I know how you feel. My SR-7 is one of my most treasured cameras. The body style, although only slightly different from an SRT, is much nicer as a whole. I think its mainly the pentaprism shape and lack of a hot shoe. Hot shoe's destroy camera asthetics. As for loading, I do find the clips on the takeup spool among the worst in the industry. One of my few complaints about Minoltas.

Old 02-09-2011   #60
Riverman

Oh boy... I still haven't cured my Minolta GAS. I've now laid my hands on the coveted 58mm f1.2 and a black XD-7 in decent nick. The 58mm MC is a huge chunk of glass and it wasn't cheap but at least I've saved it from being carved up by someone looking to mount it on a 5D.

Old 02-13-2011   #61
Ranger Copy
One Stop Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawley View Post
I know how you feel. My SR-7 is one of my most treasured cameras. The body style, although only slightly different from an SRT, is much nicer as a whole. I think its mainly the pentaprism shape and lack of a hot shoe. Hot shoe's destroy camera asthetics. As for loading, I do find the clips on the takeup spool among the worst in the industry. One of my few complaints about Minoltas.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has difficultly with loading. Lost many shots and ruined film trying to load my SRT101 quickly.

Old 02-13-2011   #62
mathomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoski View Post
I own two Minolta cameras:

Minolta 7sII with Rokkor 40mm 1.7 lens, and
Srt 101 with 58mm 1.4 and 35mm 2.8 lens.
Also, I've used, for several rolls, Minolta maxxum 600si with Sigma zoom 28-70mm lens.

I wouldn't make a review of the bodies and the lens, but on that how I feel shooting with the cameras:

- with SRT 101, I really feel the camera, the sound, the weight, it feel very solid. Also, 58mm 1.4 lens are very attractive and soft:

- with 7sII, I don't feel the same level of shooting like I have with SRT 101, maybe it is the very quite shutter, maybe because it's smaller and lighter, and also it's RF against SLR, which might be a good fact.
40mm 1.7 lens is not as soft as MC rokkors, but really nice and sharp:

- with 600si - it's big, is very automatic, it's not light, It's a good solid but very plastic camera which I didn't like it much. However, I made my very first wall print with it, and 25sec exposure, with 3times pull proces :

In the end, every camera has its own job to do:
SRT 101 with 58mm 1.4 it's very nice for portraits and people;
7SII is brilliant for street shooting.
600si, is good for sport/wedding photos I guess, etc..
Great photos, especially the last one!

Old 02-13-2011   #63
Riverman

I have noticed that the spool on my SRT is a bit of a fiddle. I never experienced this problem with my X700 though. I wonder if the spool is different in the newer Minoltas?

Old 02-13-2011   #64
IgalSc

A week ago in Toronto with x-700 and Rokkor 50mm/1.7 MD (being a Canon man on DSLR, I just love this Minolta on Film)

Digital Canon EOS 20D | Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

My Flickr

Old 02-13-2011   #65
Phoenix Phil

I love my 50 mm f1.7 lens so much so that I chose it over the f1.4. My dilemna is to decide which digital camera to use it. Does anyone have experience with Canon, Olympus 4/3rds or Olympus micro 4/3rds and Minolta lenses? Can the Sony also use the MD / MC lenses?
Thanks, Phil
Olympus XA, Infinity Stylus and 35 SP, Konica Auto S2, Wards am521, Ansco Super Memar, Minolta Hi-Matic E, Minolta XD5, Pentax Spotmatic and KV, Ricoh Diacord L, Mamiya C22, Bronica SQA, mini Crown Graphic, Watson 8x10 and Kodak Vigilant six-20

Old 02-14-2011   #66
bigeye

My first camera that I bought for myself was an XD-11 with MD 28/2.8 and 50/1.4. I never felt my Dad's FE was any more capable, though he probably had more good lenses to choose from (the F2 was the machine then, anyways). The Minolta just works and I think only Minolta owners realize how much (quietly) went into making their cameras and lenses.

There is something about their lens coatings and glass. Minolta lenses have a way with green that is distinctive, with very high hard-edged contrast - a very '70s/early '80s look to me. It's in most of the samples above. If certain cameras have a "best season", springtime would be a Minolta's.

Reminds me that the old XD needs a re-leathering...

Last edited by bigeye : 02-14-2011 at 10:41.

Old 02-14-2011   #67
lilmsmaggie

Just wish I could find an adapter , so I could use my Minolta glass on my Leica M5 and Bessa R3M

Old 02-14-2011   #68
Bingley

MD Rokkor 35/2.8 on a Minolta XD-11, with Kodak 400UC:

M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 02-14-2011   #69
Riverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Phil View Post
I love my 50 mm f1.7 lens so much so that I chose it over the f1.4. My dilemna is to decide which digital camera to use it. Does anyone have experience with Canon, Olympus 4/3rds or Olympus micro 4/3rds and Minolta lenses? Can the Sony also use the MD / MC lenses?
Thanks, Phil
I'm afraid I have no experience shooting the Minolta on 4/3rds digitals. As far as I'm aware there is no D-SLR on which MC or MD lenses can be mounted directly. I think some users do modify the lenses to mount them on Canon DSLRs. I know exactly what you mean regarding the quality of the humble 50mm 1.7. The lens is an absolute gem and goes for peanuts these days. I picked up a mint one, boxed like new for 30 bucks. Here's a shot from my original 50mm f1.7 from 2007 before my bro got my original Minolta kit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbk21/5...7624966029293/

Last edited by Riverman : 02-14-2011 at 18:21.

Old 02-14-2011   #70
David Hughes

Did I miss it? 70 or so posts and not one mention of the XD's from Minolta and the R4's & 5's from Leica...

And they, Minolta, did some nice P&S's.

Regards, David

Old 02-15-2011   #71
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

I agree. I use a 24m with much success.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 02-15-2011   #72
bgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Did I miss it? 70 or so posts and not one mention of the XD's from Minolta and the R4's & 5's from Leica...

And they, Minolta, did some nice P&S's.

Regards, David
Well now that you mention them I have my eye on A XD7 that isn't attracting too much attention on a local auction site. No lens included so that means i can get what I want and not have lots of silly 3rd party zooms to get rid of.
Until I read this thread I was a Canon and of late a Nikon guy with no intention of looking at anything else but your opinions and those of a whole bunch of folks on the net including Mr Rockwell have made me reconsider.
The camera I'm looking at is losing it covering so some goodies from Camera leather are in order, I like the Cobra skin but it's a little delicate so maybe griptec in black would be better as i intend to use this camera ... it's a black one
Anyone know anything about the X-1 / XK / XM by that I mean does anyone have one and is it yummy?
What's up with LeicaR models I have seem them for sale and i guess the glass is ok but surely not as good as the Rokkors?

Old 02-15-2011   #73
Jack Conrad

Quote:
As far as I'm aware there is no D-SLR on which MC or MD lenses can be mounted directly.
For the record, Olympus 4/3 adapts very well with Rokkor using an inexpensive Chinese adapter from eBay. I use a 58/1.4, 28/2.8 and 135/2.8 all the time on my e-520. They're all excellent. I really love the 58/1.4 the most, even though it's the most difficult to nail the focus with. But when I do nail it, it's sooo sweet. Although that 135 is no slouch either.
One thing I found, the pin on the lens needs to be filed down a fraction
or else it causes the aperture to freeze. No big deal though, a minute or two with sand paper and it's good to go.

Old 02-15-2011   #74
Jack Conrad

Here's a couple shots using the 58/1.on the e-520

Old 02-15-2011   #75
gnuyork

My first camera was my dad's minolta SRT 201 and the 50mm. He ended up giving it to me a year ago.

These were taken with that camera and lens - film was plus X:

Old 02-15-2011   #76
scottgee1
RF renegade

If memory serves, David Hamilton used Minolta SLRs for most of his work in the '70s, creating evocative, painterly images.

Old 02-16-2011   #77
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb View Post
Well now that you mention them I have my eye on A XD7 that isn't attracting too much attention on a local auction site... - SNIP! - What's up with LeicaR models I have seem them for sale and i guess the glass is ok but surely not as good as the Rokkors?
Hi,

If I didn't have too many cameras I'd be after the XD 5 or 7... But I'm happy with the ones I have.

As for Leica glass for the R series, it's OTT. The trouble is at a certain point all the best lenses are OTT and it's hard to pick between them. If every picture I took was at f/2 or so I'd be very fussy but most pictures are shot by me at around f/5·6 - give or take a stop. And at that aperture it's hard to tell them apart. At f/2·8 and wider the Leica stuff is superb (based on my old R5 with the 35mm wide angle on it).

But they also have something else that I can't describe that comes out especially in slides and with the Minolta stuff (and a several other makes I could mention to confuse the issue), it's yummy. FWIW, I think getting the exposure and focus spot on is more important than any glass subtlety. Also comparing the Minolta CLE's 40mm lens with the Leica CL's 40mm I can't see any difference.

Regards, David

Old 02-17-2011   #78
Riverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

If I didn't have too many cameras I'd be after the XD 5 or 7... But I'm happy with the ones I have.

As for Leica glass for the R series, it's OTT. The trouble is at a certain point all the best lenses are OTT and it's hard to pick between them. If every picture I took was at f/2 or so I'd be very fussy but most pictures are shot by me at around f/5·6 - give or take a stop. And at that aperture it's hard to tell them apart. At f/2·8 and wider the Leica stuff is superb (based on my old R5 with the 35mm wide angle on it).

But they also have something else that I can't describe that comes out especially in slides and with the Minolta stuff (and a several other makes I could mention to confuse the issue), it's yummy. FWIW, I think getting the exposure and focus spot on is more important than any glass subtlety. Also comparing the Minolta CLE's 40mm lens with the Leica CL's 40mm I can't see any difference.

Regards, David
I've recently added an XD7 to my Minolta arsenal. It's a cut above the X700 I used to have. Parodoxical though it may sound, I know exactly what you mean with the the 'je ne sais quoi' of Minolta glass - particularly with slide film.

%20Baltimore%20abstract%20by%20The_Riverman,%20on%20Flickr

Old 02-17-2011   #79
David Murphy

I got into Minolta about 15 years ago when my K1000 broke and I picked an SR-1 for small money. A few years ago I developed a small kit around the SRT-101. Sometimes I think of selling all my expensive RF gear (Nikon, Canon, Leica, Contax, etc.) and just settling back with my trusty SRT-101 and a full set of MD lenses. It's not quite as powerful as say a Nikon F, F2 + Nikkor glass, but it's simple, easy, not too heavy, and reliable to use, and the lenses are real bargains.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Last edited by David Murphy : 02-17-2011 at 18:47.

Old 02-18-2011   #80
David Hughes

If you want to try Minolta glass cheaply, and I mean dirt cheap, then have a look for the Minolta Riva Zoom 90 (USA version: Freedom Action Zoom 90). It's only a 38 to 90mm zoom with just f/4·8 to f/10·8 at widest at each end but has an ASPH element in it.

I've had one or two and here's one of my test shots taken one autumn after a session of landscape shots;-

Nothing spectacular, just a pair of gloves and an old walking stick leaning against a gate but it does show what a charity shop P&S with "Minolta" on it can do.

Regards, David