Old 09-21-2010   #41
Zodiac
future to the back

Am I to understand that my new Mac will work fine with a Nikon Super cool scan 9000ED, as long as i don't use the packaged software called Nikon Scan?

Is it possible to buy the scanner and not download that software but just the drivers? Will it function 100%?

TIA

Old 09-21-2010   #42
robert blu
quiet photographer

I do not know about 9000 ED, but working with 5000ED and Nikonscan 4.0.0. with Snow Leopard 10.6.4 it works without problems.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-22-2010   #43
Zodiac
future to the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I do not know about 9000 ED, but working with 5000ED and Nikonscan 4.0.0. with Snow Leopard 10.6.4 it works without problems.
robert

From what I can gather, it's only a problem with the software (nikon scan) but there seems to be a fix for it on the apple site/seen from this thread).

So not sure if it matters on which Nikon scanner you have - my question is if it's possible to take one out of the box, and plug it in just with vuescan downloaded, and does it need drivers (can the drivers be separated from the nikon scan software)?

Old 09-22-2010   #44
wgerrard

Zodiac, I have a Coolscan V ED that I've used on three different Macs, PPC and Intel. I don't recall ever needing to chase down drivers. NikonScan runs well for me on OX X 10.6.4.

Old 09-22-2010   #45
Zonan

I have a CS9000Ed, and am using it with NikonScan, Vuescan and SilverFast without problems, running the latest version of the OS. I uninstalled NikonScan, then reinstalled a "fresh version", and absolutely no problems with it. The others work fine as well.

Old 09-22-2010   #46
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

I'm still on the fence for upgrading but I do have a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard Cheetah Tiger Bobcat Domestic Tabby and I could hook up my Nikon 9000 to it and give it a shot..

At least that would give me an idea before upgrading my Mac Pro..

Cheers,
Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 09-22-2010   #47
Zonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsang View Post
I'm still on the fence for upgrading but I do have a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard Cheetah Tiger Bobcat Domestic Tabby and I could hook up my Nikon 9000 to it and give it a shot..

At least that would give me an idea before upgrading my Mac Pro..

Cheers,
Dave
Just make sure you haven't loaded the Scaredy Cat OS

Rick

Old 09-22-2010   #48
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonan View Post
Just make sure you haven't loaded the Scaredy Cat OS

Rick
hehe.. that's not so much an OS as it is a state of mind

Cheers,
Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

Old 09-23-2010   #49
Zodiac
future to the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonan View Post
I have a CS9000Ed, and am using it with NikonScan, Vuescan and SilverFast without problems, running the latest version of the OS. I uninstalled NikonScan, then reinstalled a "fresh version", and absolutely no problems with it. The others work fine as well.
Fresh version meaning off the Nikon site? I'm assuming if i go buy a NIB CS9000ED it will have a few year old CD in it (box), I guess the best bet is to download nikon scan and vuescan off the net and then plug in the hardware.

But I thought (at least used to be the case) that the packaged CD also has the drivers - and you can't separate them (?)

Maybe i should just go with the Plustek 7600ai...

Old 09-23-2010   #50
wgerrard

Zodiac, are you absolutely certain about those drivers? I can't recall where I put my Coolscan CD, otherwise I'd check, but I believe no drivers are needed, at least on Macs. If you need/want a TWAIN interface for Windows, the Nikon site indicates that is built into Nikon Scan, which is available for download. (The version on the site is 4.0, with a 4.02 update, and a 4.03 targeting Vista.)

Old 09-23-2010   #51
Film dino
David Chong

Nikon Scan 4.02 works ok with my 8000ED/ Macbook Pro /10.6.4

Old 09-24-2010   #52
Zodiac
future to the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerrard View Post
Zodiac, are you absolutely certain about those drivers? I can't recall where I put my Coolscan CD, otherwise I'd check, but I believe no drivers are needed, at least on Macs. If you need/want a TWAIN interface for Windows, the Nikon site indicates that is built into Nikon Scan, which is available for download. (The version on the site is 4.0, with a 4.02 update, and a 4.03 targeting Vista.)
No, not certain at all, just a guess. Sounding more and more like it would work though, and Apple has that fix on their site to download.

thanks.

Old 10-06-2010   #53
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Well.. I installed Nikon Scan 4.0.2 (the CD is 4.0 but it has the upgrade on it as well) onto my new (2010 summer) Macbook pro running 10.6.4 and it installed without issue. There is one part where the software is "Searching Macintosh HD" (or whatever the Mac HD is named on the system) - this portion of the install seems to take an inordinate amount of time and I can seriously see people thinking the thing's not working and then hitting "force quit". In fact, if you open the "Force Quit" window it shows the software as "not responding" - a word to the wise, don't touch it. Let the software do its thing. It eventually completes and you can run the software with the 9000.

I did a test with a full tray of 35mm negs (12 of them) and the scan went through just fine.

Next up... upgrading the Mac Pro with Snow Leopard (and Photoshop CS5, InDesign CS5 and LightRoom3 amongst other things)

Cheers,
Dave

Old 10-06-2010   #54
mgd711
Medium Format Baby!!

Thanks for the update Dave. I’ve been holding off on buying this scanner due to the reported issues with Snow Leopard. Now its just a question off finding one!

Lochaber no more...

Old sites, before the change

The Fiery Scotsman

MGD Photography

Old 10-06-2010   #55
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

As soon as I upgrade my Mac Pro (hopefully within the next few weeks) I can provide a better update at that time

It should be quite a test because it's an "original" Mac Pro - dual Xeon 2.66 Ghz processors with 8 GB ram.. should be "ok" but you never know

Cheers,
Dave

Old 10-07-2010   #56
robert blu
quiet photographer

As I said previously I can scan without problems with my 5000 ED and Nikon scan with Snow Leopard. But I noticed a couple of things:

1- If I have an external Hard Disk connected via WireFire the scanner is not seen. Just disconnect it and it will work (this happened already with Tiger, I read anywhere that Nikon is aware of this bug but developers will not fix it )
2- If with Snow Leopard an external Hard disk is connected via USB and you are running time machine, again the scanner will not be seen). Disconnect it and it works ok.

My standard procedure is to disconnect everything when I scan !

robert
PS: I tried the demo of Vuescan and these two problemns do not happens, but I find the interface difficult to understand and appropriate choices not so easy, just me probably.

Running Mac OS X 10.4 (PPC) on OS X 1.5 (Intel)
Old 12-17-2010   #57
borrel
Børre Ludvigsen

Running Mac OS X 10.4 (PPC) on OS X 1.5 (Intel)

For those needing to run orphan software like Nikon Scan and Microtek's ScanWizard which is no longer supported on Intel Macs running OS X 10.5 (Snow Leopard) and over, you might want to try installing Virtual Box and running 10.4 with the software virtualized.

Old 12-17-2010   #58
Timmyjoe

Running Nikon Scan with a Coolscan 9000 on a Mac Pro with the latest release of Snow Leopard and everything is running fine. Would be nice if we got more support from Nikon, but so far so good.

Best,
-Tim

Old 12-29-2010   #59
jalLee2001
jallee55

Quote:
As I said previously I can scan without problems with my 5000 ED and Nikon scan with Snow Leopard. But I noticed a couple of things:

1- If I have an external Hard Disk connected via WireFire the scanner is not seen. Just disconnect it and it will work (this happened already with Tiger, I read anywhere that Nikon is aware of this bug but developers will not fix it )
2- If with Snow Leopard an external Hard disk is connected via USB and you are running time machine, again the scanner will not be seen). Disconnect it and it works ok.

My standard procedure is to disconnect everything when I scan !

robert
PS: I tried the demo of Vuescan and these two problemns do not happens, but I find the interface difficult to understand and appropriate choices not so easy, just me probably.
Robert-thanks for the tips, i have disconnected all external drives and cant get my imac to recognize the LS 5000. Would you have any other suggestions (I am running 10.5.8). Regards John lee

flickr.com/people/jallee55

Old 12-29-2010   #60
hexiplex

I am running Nikonscan 4 with my IV ED under Snow Leopard and everything is working just fine. No crashes or instability, except that it freezes up when I want to close it. I tried Vuescan when I was on WIN7 and WIN Vista, but I never understood why so many find it better than NS4... Both programs are quite frankly ****e, but to me, NS4 is the lesser of two evils.

Old 04-24-2011   #61
runny

I was a happy Nikon Scan user right up to the recent upgrade to OS-X 10.6.7 when it has stopped working. It starts and crashes in spectacular fashion. I now use Vuescan for Black and White and Silverfast for colour work. Silverfast is a complete pain in the backside to use, but the results seem good. Vuescan is miles ahead in my opinion in the quality of the B&W scans. Of course that is only my opinion and your mileage might vary.

Last edited by runny : 04-24-2011 at 08:06.

Old 04-24-2011   #62
Mackinaw
Think Different

No doubt the choice of scanning software is a personal one. I have no problem with Nikon Scan on my mac-mini running 10.6.7 but have heard other stories like yours.

I really like Silverfast but, like you, consider it to be a pain. Still, the Nega-Fix option can work astoundingly well for some films. I finally installed Vuescan a few months back and consider it to be no better than OK. Right now I mostly use Nikon Scan for 35mm B&W and Silverfast for C-41.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 04-24-2011   #63
Ronald M

My computer with Tiger to start, now latest SL version, still works with original KM5400 disk as originally installed.

The new computer that came with SL, WILL NOT ACCEPT the original disk file. I found new software on the net, downloaded, unstuffed with stuffit, and installed. Scanner still works.

The new Mac will also not accept a copy of what works on the old computer even though both work on SL latest version. Took me a day of fooling around.

Bottom line, once in and working it seems ok. Difficult to install from scratch with later OS not made for it.

Two choices are Vuescan which works, but you need to profile the scanner to optimize it. Otherwise it will not easily be color corrected. Or get Silverfast. And you may need to profile that too.

Old 03-01-2012   #64
tomnrides

OS 10.6.8 is the last version to support power PC software. 10.7.1 does not run Nikon Scan 4.x any more. Non OEM software might continue to upgrade but at some point they will also stop supporting old gadgets.
I just finished a 1 month project using a PC, windows XP and AutoCad 2010 (pro drafting software). I felt I was so back in 20th century by the feel and ways about these.

Keep your old computer paired with old software and old dependent gadgets. They need not go obsolete as a whole system.

Old 03-01-2012   #65
rover

I just "upgraded" to Lion and purchased Vuescan for my MacBook Pro. Should be good to go as long as Vuescan lives.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 03-01-2012   #66
imush

My experience was just the opposite, could never see why would anyone bother with NikonScan. Good hardware does not necessarily come with the best software (look at X100). And if the software requires a specific platform for no apparent good reason, it is already flawed. All it should really need is generic USB (or firewire) support to be easily compiled on any OS.

All the available information that can be captured from film with the scanner can be digitized by any of the major scanning software programs; why bother and regulate your computing environment by the caprices of Nikon?

I like Vuescan because it also works with my Epson V700, is well supported and frequently updated. Besides, for a while I had neither a Mac nor Windows platform, and it is the only thing that works with Linux or *bsd. Epson's software appears to be much better designed, but I still do not use it for these reasons.

Old 03-02-2012   #67
robert blu
quiet photographer

Probably Vuescan is the way to go. Unfortunately I tried it a couple of times and find not easy to set the various parameters as I was doing with NikonScan, which I learned to use and satisfies my needs. When I'll decide to upgrade to a more modern system (or computer) I'll keep the i-mac just for scanning in conjunction with the 5000 ed.
robert

Old 03-02-2012   #68
Zonan

I've kept 10.6.8 on an external boot hard drive, and use that when I need to. I'd like to use Vuescan, which I own, but don't find it easy to learn. Maybe if I gave up the "old stuff" and had to sink-or-swim, I'd master it. But I would miss ICE on Nikon Scan and infrared cleaning with Silverfast 6. I'm not ready to pay $400 or whatever they want for SF 8, which seems to have a poor reputation even among SF fans like David Brooks of Shutterbug.

The eventual problem I see is that Apple seems to be requiring new computers boot from the OS it was sold with, or an update to that. So it looks like if I buy a new Apple computer with the upcoming OS, I won't be able to boot from 10.6.8, even via an external drive. I guess one could always buy /keep an older machine, but eventually this road seems to be a dead end.

Old 09-04-2013   #69
Roel

Just installed Nikon scan 4.0 and it seems to work fine. MAcbook 10.6.8, Nikon coolscan 5000ed

However I also updated to 4.0.2. but when I check the 'About Nikon scan' button it only says 'Version 4.0.0 en' instead of 4.0.2. Is this normal or did the updating go wrong.

How can I check if the update is running?

Old 09-04-2013   #70
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel View Post
Just installed Nikon scan 4.0 and it seems to work fine. MAcbook 10.6.8, Nikon coolscan 5000ed

However I also updated to 4.0.2. but when I check the 'About Nikon scan' button it only says 'Version 4.0.0 en' instead of 4.0.2. Is this normal or did the updating go wrong.

How can I check if the update is running?
Where did you download your copy of NS4?
I'm trying on the nikon site and it's bungling.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2013   #71
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Probably Vuescan is the way to go. Unfortunately I tried it a couple of times and find not easy to set the various parameters as I was doing with NikonScan, which I learned to use and satisfies my needs. When I'll decide to upgrade to a more modern system (or computer) I'll keep the i-mac just for scanning in conjunction with the 5000 ed.
robert
I dumped all the manufacturer scanning apps ages ago when the Epson, Polaroid, and Minolta scanning software was so buggy they drove me to distraction. I've been using Vuescan since 2000 ... never even loaded the NikonScan app when I got my first Nikon scanner.

Vuescan takes some learning, but I get excellent scans out of it and continued support. It drives both my Coolscan V ED and Super Coolscan 9000 ED beautifully on OS X v10.8.4. I wouldn't use anything else.

G

Old 09-04-2013   #72
Roel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I dumped all the manufacturer scanning apps ages ago when the Epson, Polaroid, and Minolta scanning software was so buggy they drove me to distraction. I've been using Vuescan since 2000 ... never even loaded the NikonScan app when I got my first Nikon scanner.

Vuescan takes some learning, but I get excellent scans out of it and continued support. It drives both my Coolscan V ED and Super Coolscan 9000 ED beautifully on OS X v10.8.4. I wouldn't use anything else.

G
Thank you Godfrey. Was looking at an alternative although Nikonscan seems to work:
-Can I expect better scanning/image results with Vuescan?
-Does vuescan also support batch scanning with Sa-21 and Sa-30?

Thnx

Old 09-04-2013   #73
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Thank you Godfrey. Was looking at an alternative although Nikonscan seems to work:
-Can I expect better scanning/image results with Vuescan?
-Does vuescan also support batch scanning with Sa-21 and Sa-30?
I'm not sure what "better" means in this context. I've never used NikonScan so I don't know what its output looks like. And I scan to capture all the data for rendering, not to produce a finished product, so I don't know whether what looks great to me in a scan meets your needs.

I don't recall the model numbers.. I have the motorized 35mm 6-exposure strip feeder and the motorized APS feeder for the Coolscan V. Yes, Vuescan allows batch scanning with both of them. It also allows batch scanning with the Coolscan 9000's various negative carriers.

G

Old 09-04-2013   #74
Roel

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Where did you download your copy of NS4?
I'm trying on the nikon site and it's bungling.
Thanks
I also downloaded it from the Nikon site and it worked ok.

Old 09-04-2013   #75
Roel

Quote:
I'm not sure what "better" means in this context. I've never used NikonScan so I don't know what its output looks like. And I scan to capture all the data for rendering, not to produce a finished product, so I don't know whether what looks great to me in a scan meets your needs.

I don't recall the model numbers.. I have the motorized 35mm 6-exposure strip feeder and the motorized APS feeder for the Coolscan V. Yes, Vuescan allows batch scanning with both of them. It also allows batch scanning with the Coolscan 9000's various negative carriers.

G
Thanks Godfrey!
I will see how stable Nikon scan turns out to be and depending on that try Vuescan.

Old 09-05-2013   #76
f16sunshine

Ok, I charged up my old BBP17 that still has OSX 10.5.8 . Was able to download and unwrap NS4 and it works great with the LS50 and 6strip feeder. Not so true with my newer mac running the latest OSX 10.8.4 and Vuescan v 9.2.23. The Vuescan is not controlling the scanner for some reason. I emailed Mr Hamrick he told me to do a default options command and check USB. No luck... Anyway for now it's going to be the old machine as LS50 workhorse. Is there a reason for me to get the NS4.2 update? I'm worried about rocking the boat.

Old 09-05-2013   #77
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
... Not so true with my newer mac running the latest OSX 10.8.4 and Vuescan v 9.2.23. The Vuescan is not controlling the scanner for some reason. I emailed Mr Hamrick he told me to do a default options command and check USB. No luck...
That's odd, it sounds like a regression. I'm running VueScan 9.2.2 from both MacBook Air and Mac mini running*OS X 10.8.4, no problems whatever driving both Super Coolscan 9000 and Coolscan V.

I'll download VueScan 9.2.3 this evening and see if it has any problems with my systems.

G

Old 09-13-2013   #78
Roel

So after running nikonscan 4(.0.2) for a week on the macbook os 10'6.8 the Nikon software suddenly won't start anymore. Even after installing again it wil not work.

Also i tried the Silverfast 6'6 I have for the Plustek 7600I but that one doesnot recognise the Nikon 5000ed..

Will spend tomorrow figuring out what to do. Even if I go over to Vueescan or if i get the Silverfast to find my Nikon scanner (do I need a driver for the Nikon?) i want de Nikon software to work too.

Quote:
Thanks Godfrey!
I will see how stable Nikon scan turns out to be and depending on that try Vuescan.

Old 09-13-2013   #79
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
So after running nikonscan 4(.0.2) for a week on the macbook os 10'6.8 the Nikon software suddenly won't start anymore. Even after installing again it wil not work.

Also i tried the Silverfast 6'6 I have for the Plustek 7600I but that one doesnot recognise the Nikon 5000ed..

Will spend tomorrow figuring out what to do. Even if I go over to Vueescan or if i get the Silverfast to find my Nikon scanner (do I need a driver for the Nikon?) i want de Nikon software to work too.
In all honesty, I wouldn't waste much time with NikonScan. It hasn't worked properly in a long time on OS X, based on what I've read on various forums around the net.

Vuescan is working very well for me. Just downloaded 9.2.24 ... I'll install it later or tomorrow. Gotta run right now.

G

Old 09-14-2013   #80
Roel

Quote:
In all honesty, I wouldn't waste much time with NikonScan. It hasn't worked properly in a long time on OS X, based on what I've read on various forums around the net.

Vuescan is working very well for me. Just downloaded 9.2.24 ... I'll install it later or tomorrow. Gotta run right now.

G
OK. Just purchased Vuescan. Will scout now for some good info on best way/settings to scan 35mm b&w negatives with Vuescan. (Any tips or links will be appreciated.) Hope the batch scanning with my 'fixed' (for 36 frames) sa21 adapter will work.

In the mean time I also will be trying to get Nikon scan to work again..